Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadence Sensors

Options
  • 16-05-2017 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello all.

Just looking for a bit more info re:cadence sensors. I realise they're a pretty vital piece of equipment for any serious training and was wondering would anyone have any recommendations?

Budget stretches to about 60 euro but is there any within that price that don't need to be paired with a Garmin? Budget doesn't stretch to a Garmin yet either haha I am but a poor student! Just something basic would be grand

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I got this one (or very similar, seller gone) a couple of years ago from Ali express. Works with my garmin, and bluetooth should work with a smartphone on strava or an app, but I never tested that aspect to be honest. Delivery a couple of weeks if you go parcel motel. Will work, albeit not as neat as their own, with a Garmin if you do ever get one.

Link

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The Garmin speed and cadence sensors bundle is generally no more than €60.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

You need to figure out what signal the computer you are using at the moment will accept. Some are bluetooth, some ant +, some are both. Once you figure this out then you can look at what cadence sensor to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jalock20

joey100 wrote: »
    You need to figure out what signal the computer you are using at the moment will accept. Some are bluetooth, some ant +, some are both. Once you figure this out then you can look at what cadence sensor to get.

Don't have a proper Garmin computer on it at the mo only a basic cateye speedo. Is there any cadence sensors that work without a Garmin type computer? Or do I need one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

some cateye ones do, some don't. The best thing to do would be to find out the model number. I don't really know the cateye range but I'd guess that if it was cheap and didn't come with a cadence sensor then one won't work with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

jalock20 wrote: »
    Don't have a proper Garmin computer on it at the mo only a basic cateye speedo. Is there any cadence sensors that work without a Garmin type computer? Or do I need one
    The one I linked too should work with a phone app, via bluetooth. But you'd have to check the specs of the sensor and the phone to confirm. If/ when you get a Garmin, as it's Ant+, it will work with that too.

I used it with a Garmin, but I'm 99% there's phone apps which will do cadence via bluetooth.

And you could always count for your cadence - number of turns on one leg for 15 seconds, and then multiply by 4! That'd be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I have this one from decathlon but I see it's not in stock at the moment. Cheap - cost less than £20

https://www.decathlon.ie/speed-cadence-sensor-bluetooth-smart-en-s143448.html

Bit fiddly setting up and I found that you need to angle the sensor (on the frame) to minimise the distance between it and the crank arm magnet/sensor for best results. Had a bit of trouble getting it to link with Strava initially so had to use the Wahoo fitness app and export. All working ok now though but occasionally I'll have some erroneous max cadence readings (200+ RPM :eek:).

Advertisement