Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Failed emission - new cat required or not?

• 16-05-2017 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Looking for some advice on whether I need a new cat or not or could possibly still pass NCT without replacing it.

Car details
    - 2004 Hyundai Getz 1.1L Petrol
    - Failed emissions test on High idle reading for CO only
    - - CO reading was 0.31 vol% - Failure on this car is anything over 0.20%
    - - Lambda reading 1.01 - passed as failure reading between 0.97 and 1.03
    - - HC reading 20ppm, well below fail rate of 200ppm so passed as well

I know a failed CO reading could be because of many different reasons, but from people's experience, are the CO reading well over or was it a close call and could potentially pass if put through again?

Reason I'm asking is I want to sell the car - other than failed NCT it's actually a great runaround for someone. I have it for sale at €350 since it hasn't passed, but these are listed on adverts/DD for €1k plus if it had NCT, so wondering is it worth the effort fixing this issue up or not?

NCT fail sheet attached.

Cheers folks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's not close. Possibly a new cat is needed, I suggest checking with a local exhaust place.

A new catalytic converter should be around 3/400, possibly less if you get a universal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 shuggy1001

biko wrote: »
    It's not close. Possibly a new cat is needed, I suggest checking with a local exhaust place.

A new catalytic converter should be around 3/400, possibly less if you get a universal.

Cheers for the advice - good to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Has it been serviced recently/to schedule? What condition is the air-filter in?

Hasn't been services recently no, but was serviced fairly regularly if I remember correctly - last NCT test was done 18 months ago and it's been off the road since, so not sure if that'll make difference now. Not sure about the air filter but can check later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

shuggy1001 wrote: »
    Hasn't been services recently no, but was serviced fairly regularly if I remember correctly - last NCT test was done 18 months ago and it's been off the road since, so not sure if that'll make difference now. Not sure about the air filter but can check later.

It seems to be burning clean enough - there's a chance that a dirty air-filter is starving it of oxygen a bit, thus generating excess CO.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    It seems to be burning clean enough - there's a chance that a dirty air-filter is starving it of oxygen a bit, thus generating excess CO.

ok, thanks for the info, I'll check that first before I go down the route of a new cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

Italian tune up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

If it's been off the road for 18 months then I'd service it and also maybe throw some additive in with a full tank of petrol.
    Then drive it fairly high in the revs for a few miles to clean it out. Have the engine up to temp when you arrive at the test centre.
    Check the condition of the timing belt if possible because rubber doesn't like sitting idle for long periods.

Advertisement