Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bikram/hot yoga.

• 16-05-2017 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I've been considering Yoga for a while to supplement my weight lifting and I keep getting recommended Bikram. Does anyone here do it find that it compliments training well and prevents injury?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What exactly are you looking to get out if it?
    It's not really going to any more effective than regular yoga, or other mobility work you could do at home. But if an area you're neglecting then why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Demforeigners

Mellor wrote: »
    What exactly are you looking to get out if it?
    It's not really going to any more effective than regular yoga, or other mobility work you could do at home. But if an area you're neglecting then why not.

Well I'm warming up and getting no major niggles from weights. Just wondering if it helps as a prevention for injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Yoga is supervised controlled stretching, Hot yoga is supervised controlled stretching in a hot room.
    ive done both i sitll do some Yoga along with Pilaties however hot yoga is a joke, why would ANYONE pay money to be in a sealed room moving slowly with 10 other people sweating all around you..... *shudder* i never went back, i found it just as effective as normal yoga..

Yoga is supervised controlled stretching, Hot yoga is supervised controlled stretching in a hot room.
    ive done both i sitll do some Yoga along with Pilaties however hot yoga is a joke, why would ANYONE pay money to be in a sealed room moving slowly with 10 other people sweating all around you..... *shudder* i never went back, i found it just as effective as normal yoga..

Isn't the heat therapeutic or something?

Isn't the heat therapeutic or something?
    yes its magic, its why theres no inflexible people in hot climates...
    im guessing its only ''therapeutic'' if you like the heat, there have been loads of studies in the differences between bikram and hatha and other than you get hotter faster and people thinks its AHmazing for weight loss coz you sweat so much theres not much difference if any.

• Advertisement

im guessing its only ''therapeutic'' if you like the heat, there have been loads of studies in the differences between bikram and hatha and other than you get hotter faster and people thinks its AHmazing for weight loss coz you sweat so much theres not much difference if any.

How long did you do hot yoga for?

How long did you do hot yoga for?
    struggling to see the relevance?

Very helpful thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

OP, I'm a dance teacher by profession and I get a lot of benefit from Bikram yoga. I find the high heat and long poses really helpful for flexibility, and have also found it helpful for dealing with niggling muscle pain from intensive exercise (I dance professionally and do Crossfit).

You love it or you hate it, but I'd encourage you to give it a try. I've been doing it off and on for about 3 years. It's quite time consuming (90 min class + necessary to shower afterwards), otherwise I'd do it more often.

cactusgal wrote: »
    OP, I'm a dance teacher by profession and I get a lot of benefit from Bikram yoga. I find the high heat and long poses really helpful for flexibility, and have also found it helpful for dealing with niggling muscle pain from intensive exercise (I dance professionally and do Crossfit).

You love it or you hate it, but I'd encourage you to give it a try. I've been doing it off and on for about 3 years. It's quite time consuming (90 min class + necessary to shower afterwards), otherwise I'd do it more often.

Thanks cactusgal. Definitely gonna try it anyway was just seeing if anyone found benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I definitely found the benefit from it, but found it to be prohibitively expensive - for example - my gym membership is €50 / month, this would include unlimited use of the gym, 25m pool, sauna and all classes. I did a trial in the local yoga place - it was €50 for the month unlimited, but after that would be €90 for 8 classes, that had to be used in 8 weeks. So essentially the same cost as the gym to attend only once a week. Yeah, thanks but no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I definitely found the benefit from it, but found it to be prohibitively expensive - for example - my gym membership is €50 / month, this would include unlimited use of the gym, 25m pool, sauna and all classes. I did a trial in the local yoga place - it was €50 for the month unlimited, but after that would be €90 for 8 classes, that had to be used in 8 weeks. So essentially the same cost as the gym to attend only once a week. Yeah, thanks but no thanks.

Same as that. Did a month's trial a few years back. Enjoyed it - but didn't fancy selling a kidney to pay for it on an ongoing basis!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Wow, your gym is super cheap!! Where do you go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

cactusgal wrote: »
    Wow, your gym is super cheap!! Where do you go?

Really? I thought it was pretty much on par? Anyhoo it's the portmarnock sports and leisure center. But I know the likes of Ben Dunne / Flyfit would be cheaper. I think from shopping around the national aquatic center and ALSAA would be similar if not cheaper, and arguably better facilities.

Advertisement