Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer hunting application: Part 3 minimum calibre changed to 60gr bullet

Options
  • 16-05-2017 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Folks
    I just decided to get the ball rolling with my permission slips and all the other necessary paperwork.

Whilst I was reading over the 'Deer Hunting application form' I noticed a change to the standard text.
    Basically the NPWS have changed the minimum calibre requirements.

They now stipulate a min calibre of .22 with a muzzle energy of not less than 1700 foot pounds using a bullet of 60grain.

It's the 60grain that has me stumped. When was the law changed on this on..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Just for those not familiar with this issue.

The 1976 SI states the same, .22 1700ftlbs but only quotes a 55grain bullet.

Has there been a new SI.. and if not then how can this dept have the authority to start changing this to suit themselves.

ALSO:- Who decided on the 100acre min rule, how does an administrative dept have such authority set these standards. Surely this wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Damoeire33

I agree the 100 acre rule is nuts. I applied last year with adjoining folios totalling to 88 acres and it was refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Zxthinger wrote: »

Has there been a new SI.. and if not then how can this dept have the authority to start changing this to suit themselves.

ALSO:- Who decided on the 100acre min rule, how does an administrative dept have such authority set these standards. Surely this wrong..

Are they calling these changes "Guidelines" ? Or have the s.i's been amended ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When was the law changed on this on..
    It wasn't.

It's SI 239/1977.
    Has there been a new SI
    No
    and if not then how can this dept have the authority to start changing this to suit themselves.
    They don't.
    They don't have the authority, but in this instance they could refuse it citing "not enough deer" (or something to that effect) and any refusal would be "legit".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

While on the forms who ticked the boxes for the "new" questions?

I put a line through them all, filled in the normal stuff only, and sent it back.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭.243

Cass wrote: »
    While on the forms who ticked the boxes for the "new" questions?

I put a line through them all, filled in the normal stuff only, and sent it back.
    i just photocopied an old form and sent it instead :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

.243 wrote: »
    i just photocopied an old form and sent it instead :D:D
    and perhaps we should all do this..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Janet192

That sounds like a good idea

Advertisement