Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike A2 provisional

Options
  • 16-05-2017 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

hi guys i have my provisional A2 licence and im 24 in a month so wondering when i turn 24 can i swap my A2 provisional licence for a provisional A licence? im going to try do my full A licence soon but i want to purchase a nice 600cc bike to learn more on. ive done my previous IBT for A2 category and i know i have to do an extra module for the full A but do i have to do the extra module for a provisional A licence aswell? just wondering for insurance purposes because i want to get a 600cc but i know i'll havte restrict it but looking for anyway to make the insurance cheaper. also want to get the full A as soon as i can but i wont do my full unless i know im comfortable and will pass easy enough. any info appreciated and if i cant swap licences i'll stick with me provisional A2 so any good 600cc bikes to restrict? i know fazers and bandits are all good candidates but dont know how the fair for insurance purposes with garage restriction.
    thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Yes, if you're riding an A rated unrestricted bike you're supposed to do module 5 and obviously have the permit for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I think all you have to do is repeat module 5 on an A bike and you'll then have an A IBT. Makikomi's son did this and is doing his full test today so if he sees this he might explain how it was done going from the A2 to the A and if he had to do the whole IBT again

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Adambutterly

i know to get my full A licence i have to do another module for the ibt so i was just wondering if for the provisional A licence will i have to do the extra ibt class before my A licence provisional is actually recognised. i know for A2 basically even on provisional if you dont have the IBT done your licence is void these days so id say i probs have to do the extra module to get the provisional A licence so if thats the case i'll just wait and do the extra module and with my A2 licence just apply for my full licence in A category and do it on a 600cc bike that way i have full unrestricted A licence. thanks guys

Sound OK yeah just run that by an ibt instructor to get the order right for doing the extra module

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

i know to get my full A licence i have to do another module for the ibt so i was just wondering if for the provisional A licence will i have to do the extra ibt class before my A licence provisional is actually recognised. i know for A2 basically even on provisional if you dont have the IBT done your licence is void these days so id say i probs have to do the extra module to get the provisional A licence so if thats the case i'll just wait and do the extra module and with my A2 licence just apply for my full licence in A category and do it on a 600cc bike that way i have full unrestricted A licence. thanks guys

When you are 24 apply for 'A' learner permit, complete IBT module 5 for category 'A'.

Then you can ride any bike unrestricted while you practice for your test.

As it will be your first permit in category 'A' you can't take your test until you hold your permit for 6 months.

For category 'A2' you cannot restrict Fazer or Hornet 600's as they have more than 70kw of engine power.

• Advertisement

yeah that's why i was going to wait until June because i would have held my A2 provisional licence for 6 months so i could apply for my full. and my IBT instructor said once i did the extra module even with my A2 provisional licence i could apply for a full A licence as long as the bike is over 600cc that i did my test on. Because i don't really want to wait another 6 months if i apply for my A provisional as insurance is pricey enough i'm hoping to get it dropped a bit with the full. ****e though i did'nt know you couldnt restrict fazers and hornets they were exactly what i was looking at. any other nice 600cc bikes that are able to be restricted? i don't mind paying for restriction because at least then before test i can take restriction out and do the test and if i pass leave the restrictor out anyway and update insurance and all that. thanks again for the info guys

also if i do decide to apply for a provisional A licence does this mean i have to resit my theory test again? or can i use the same theory test that ive already done as its still within the 2 year limit since i sat it?

You could have it a bit wrong I think

the day you turn 24, you will go to the ndls centre and get an A permit, then you will have to do the extra module to upgrade your current IBT cert to being an A cert.

then you will have to wait 6 months to take the A test.

however they can get rid of the 6 months wait in some situations, I think they do it for car drivers getting their license from other countries and that sort of thing.. maybe they can do it for the bikes seeing as you have already waited the 6 months.. who knows

You won't need to do the theory test again

yeah i'll ring my IBT guy anyway and book the extra module and get it done before june so when i go 24 i can apply for provisional. He definitely told me though that once i had the extra module done and ive waited the 6 months even on my A2 provisional once i sit my full test after i waited the 6 months on my A2 and as long as it was on a 600cc bike or bigger that if i pass the test the cert i get for that i can bring to the NDLS centre and they'll give me a full unrestricted A licence within the ten days and i didnt have to go through the whole provisional A licence again as i already done it with the A2 and will be 24. i'll see how it goes when i ring him and inform yous on what he says he could be wrong but would be handy if that's the way it worked as i don't have to wait an extra 6 months. but then there's the matter of finding a bike i can restrict and unrestrict for full test as need a new bike now soon and haven't a clue what to buy because of that dilemma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

According to the RSA, you need to hold a learner permit for the category you are doing your driving test in.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/finalchecks.pdf
    My Documentation – what do I need to bring
    with me?

• Your current Irish learner permit for your test category. The learner permit must:
    – Relate to you
    – Be in date
    – Be for the correct category of vehicle which you are undertaking your test in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

yeah i'll ring my IBT guy anyway and book the extra module and get it done before june so when i go 24 i can apply for provisional. He definitely told me though that once i had the extra module done and ive waited the 6 months even on my A2 provisional once i sit my full test after i waited the 6 months on my A2 and as long as it was on a 600cc bike or bigger that if i pass the test the cert i get for that i can bring to the NDLS centre and they'll give me a full unrestricted A licence within the ten days and i didnt have to go through the whole provisional A licence again as i already done it with the A2 and will be 24. i'll see how it goes when i ring him and inform yous on what he says he could be wrong but would be handy if that's the way it worked as i don't have to wait an extra 6 months. but then there's the matter of finding a bike i can restrict and unrestrict for full test as need a new bike now soon and haven't a clue what to buy because of that dilemma

You can't do the module 5 training until you have your category 'A' learner permit. So permit first then training.
    You will have to wait six months before you can take the test as it's your first 'A' permit.

Bandit 600 is A2 when restricted & 'A' unrestricted.

Ah right well it looks like then i'll be getting a learner permit in the A category. i'll just wait then and send off for that and buy a 600cc bike at least then i wont have to restrict it on a learner A permit. thanks guys maybe theres some loophole i might be able to get out of the 6 month wait but i doubt it.

also any good recommendations for a 600cc bike to start with haha im coming from a 250cc kawasaki balius but sure if i get the provisional in the A i wont need to restrict the new bike so wont be used to any of that extra power with a 600 any recommendations? id assume stay away from the likes of the honda cbr 600rr's and them types of race bikes like gsxr's and stuff. fazers are nice but lookwise are slightly oddball looking and if i dont have too restrict wouldn't mind staying away from hornets and bandits as my balius was very similar to them shape bikes but wouldnt mind a change

• Registered Users Posts: 1 M2Me

Did you suss out the deal with the licences? Confused as hell with it at the moment...

Been a learner on A2 for a year and 7 months, but turning 24 in a couple of months.
    I would like to upgrade in a few months when i turn 24 and I don't know what best process is.

Do I do A2 test now and then take some module to move onto A licence.
    Or should I wait till 24 and then apply for new learner and then do test?
    Any info greatly appreciated!

Also did you end up finding a sweet 600cc machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

M2Me wrote: »
    Did you suss out the deal with the licences? Confused as hell with it at the moment...

Been a learner on A2 for a year and 7 months, but turning 24 in a couple of months.
    I would like to upgrade in a few months when i turn 24 and I don't know what best process is.

Do I do A2 test now and then take some module to move onto A licence.
    Or should I wait till 24 and then apply for new learner and then do test?
    Any info greatly appreciated!

Also did you end up finding a sweet 600cc machine?

If you do your test and pass it on an A2, you will have to wait 2 years before you can be upgraded to Full A after doing Mod 5 on a Cat A bike.
    I recommend that you get an A learner permit when you turn 24, then do the Module 5 on a category A bike,, then do your test on an A category bike.

Advertisement