Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screening shrubs/Small trees

Options
  • 16-05-2017 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

I am looking for suggestions for a narrow screening shrub/plant/small tree that will grow to around 2 metres.Also something that doesn't need a lot of maintenance and is hardy. I am not into gardening at all so thats as specific as i can be! We want some privacy but also we dont want everything blocked out either.

We have a terrace house with room in front for two cars to be reversed in side by side -but thats it, so the ground in front of the house (where the cars are parked ) is gravel.

We wish to plant something along the length of the walls between our garden and the neighbours so we dont have to look at blank walls. I would estimate due to the tight space with parking the cars we could only spare about a foot of space to plant the shrub/plant on the ground. It can be a bit wider once it grows though.

I have attached a (hilariously bad) drawing to show where the plants would go as my description is terrible!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Bamboo would be my choise for that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

_Brian wrote: »
    Bamboo would be my choise for that job.
    But make sure it's a clumping variety.

You could also put up trellis and run climbers up it, if you only need to break up the wall visually.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Cotoneaster horizontalis is another possibility. Or climbing hydrangea, or pyracantha. Any of these will grow up a wall in a shrubby kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Pyracantha might become a thorny issue with the neighbours :D

As Lumen suggests a trellis to the desired height and the world is your oyster then with climbers.

Clematis, Boston ivy, sweet pea in summer, ordinary ivy, verigated ivy, wisteria, honey suckle or even roses.

Hanging baskets could be hung from the trellis posts. Just think gardening but vertically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Thanks for all the suggestions - there is a very knowledgeable bunch here!

I think it was my fault that the post implied i wanted to grow something up the walls - we kind of want something that might go about a 3 foot above the wall (wall is maybe 4ft high) and would provide moderate screening but isnt too invasive.

Bamboo looks gorgeous though - i am already considering some for the back garden too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Nothing wrong with the drawing. It conveyed the idea very well.

Advertisement