Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How it works

Options
  • 16-05-2017 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

An Open Letter to eircom Limited.

I've read through many threads here and am increasingly disheartened to see unclear or disingenuous information being given to the public.

One example is where subscribers are being told that the speed available on a fibre to the premises connection is dependent on various conditions such as line length. For the sort of GPON (Gigabit Passive Optical Networks) technology being used by openeir and other FTTH installers, the limiting factor is usually the equipment being installed at the local exchange or central office. Its not reasonable to tell the public that neighbouring premises receive differentiated services because of line conditions when the line is composed only of passive fibre. The limiting factor is typically poor planning and lack of investment in infrastructure. These excuses ire not acceptable in a new build program. Its akin to blaming the customer for openeir's own lack of foresight.

The only reason not promulgated in any of these threads is that openeir is choosing which premises receives upgraded fibre connectivity solely because of revenue. Happily for the personnel on the openeir side of the eircom holding, they do not have to face their public. In many ways I feel sorry for the eir customer support team who have to field the public's ire. Its not their fault, yet they must take the blame for something they did not cause and have almost no power to resolve. 

So next time an eir representative apologizes for network issues, remember that they have about as much power to fix problems as you have. I'm finding that the only way left to complain about network issues (planning, provisioning, faults,  in-service performance,...) is to use the regulator and the DCENR. They seem to be the only ones who can get openeir to respond publicly, usually in court.

In the meantime, eir should provide up to date and accurate talking points to its support staff so they don't continue issuing false or misleading information. And if eir is a truly separate entity to openeir, they should be allowed to call them out when it's openeir's fault for not planning or investing effectively. If they can't, then the idea of network & service provider separation is an evidential joke.

Yours etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi cregmon,

Thanks for getting in touch I'm sorry you feel this way.

I'm afraid fibre eligibility is determined by many different factors and is unfortunately not available to all customers.

Each case is different and we would advise our customers in regards to each individual case.

I'm sorry if you feel that we are blaming them or their individual homes and I can assure you we are not nor do we select which homes and business receive these services.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cregmon

eir: Anna wrote: »
    Hi cregmon,

Thanks for getting in touch I'm sorry you feel this way.

I'm afraid fibre eligibility is determined by many different factors and is unfortunately not available to all customers.

Each case is different and we would advise our customers in regards to each individual case.

I'm sorry if you feel that we are blaming them or their individual homes and I can assure you we are not nor do we select which homes and business receive these services.

Thanks,
    Anna
    Dear Anna,
    I agree with you completely when you write you do not blame customers or are responsible for selecting which premises receives services. That concurs with what I wrote in my letter.

I stand by my statement that you or your colleagues have no influence over what openeir network planners and program managers do in their roles. This is not your fault. However, I do feel it is within your power to highlight such concerns to your supervisors. If they do not similarly report your concerns or your customer's concerns to eircom management, then you know where the process is failing. 

As stated on your wesbite "[font=Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]eir is on a journey to ensure that customers are at the heart of everything we do". Anna, I understand you and your colleagues who provide customer support believe and work by this core value. My primary difficulty is that I don't believe eir's management believe or work by it. I say this because of the actions eir have taken in my own community.  We have tried to secure accurate information such as pole surveys and other asset information, to no avail. We have tried to see if we could perform our own fibre rollout and connect to eir's exchange, to no avail. We have tried to engage with eir at every step, only to be spurned and treated as third class subjects. [/font][font=Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]Because of this, the DCENR's NBP Program is following up on our concerns with the Minister and with eir management.[/font]

[font=Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif]The only courtesy I have witnessed has been from the customer support personnel: you and your colleagues on the front line.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]Please keep believing that you can make a difference and you can successfully represent these and all your customer's issues to eir's managers.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]Regards, etc.[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭eir: Leanne

Hi, cregmon.

I understand your frustration, However, I can assure you I will relay your feedback onto the relevant department and also, management. 

I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Please feel free to get back in touch if you have any further queries.

Thanks, 
    Leanne. 

Advertisement