Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not another newbie bike query

• 16-05-2017 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Atlantic101

I'm sure your heads are wrecked with newbie questions but if you have the patience I'd appreciate the help!

I'm currently waiting on my learner licence to arrive and will sit the IBT as soon as possible after I get it. Between now and then I'd like to have a look at some bikes which would suit me and am looking for some advice in this regard. I'm 6'4 and about 93kg so will need something that'll fit a big lad! I'll mostly be using the bike for commuting to Dublin City from about 40 mins out and would like comfort as well as the ability to filter.

I was looking at the V-Strom 650 and was quoted over €2,000 insurance for TPFT. Is this the kind of quote I can expect until I have more experience? I was advised to stay away from any kind of sports bike as the quotes will be way to high.

Any advice on bikes to consider would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

the high quote is from you wanting commuting cover which they won't want to give out when you have a provisional and no experience or ncb

not sure what bikes would suit but you should go to a bike shop and just sit on some bikes after you do your ibt and get an idea of what fits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

All the usual suspects should be fine. Fz6, cbf6, hornet, sv. You'll know better after the ibt.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

The concept of commuting cover is ridiculous. My dad works in Dublin and commutes from Louth every day and he asked them point blank at renewal time "So if my car won't start and I take the bike to Dublin you're telling me I'm not insured?"

"Eh well you would be yeah"

Complete nonsense, if I work at number 6 on O'Connell street I could just say I was on my way to number 5 and they couldn't really prove you otherwise.

CaptainR wrote: »
    The concept of commuting cover is ridiculous. My dad works in Dublin and commutes from Louth every day and he asked them point blank at renewal time "So if my car won't start and I take the bike to Dublin you're telling me I'm not insured?"

"Eh well you would be yeah"

Complete nonsense, if I work at number 6 on O'Connell street I could just say I was on my way to number 5 and they couldn't really prove you otherwise.

Is commuting cover where they ask will you be driving the bike to work?

I've always answered no and do, none of their business where the bike is driven. I'd like to see them try to not pay a claim over that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

CaptainR wrote: »
    , if I work at number 6 on O'Connell street I could just say I was on my way to number 5 and they couldn't really prove you otherwise.

That's not how insurance or civil law works. Only in criminal law do they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, civil law is on the balance of probabilities.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    That's not how insurance or civil law works. Only in criminal law do they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, civil law is on the balance of probabilities.

Yes but if you said to them I do not intend to commute on my bike, then one day for whatever reason you do... Ask that to any agent on the phone they won't even be able to answer you.

I find bike insurance very lax in Ireland , I rang up to declare performance mods on my bike and the exact words were "we don't really care lad once you haven't changed the engine , this has been recorded so you have declared them" no charge . I asked for it in writing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You can say what you like on here, this is this and that is that. When the **** hits the fan insurance companies are the lowest of the low and will do absolutely everything in their power to

a. Pay out as little as possible
    b. Not pay out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Adelaide had removed the commute option from some lads policies and people didnt realise - granted they would have had third party cover but they are all as bad as one another.

As said, Fazer6, CBF, VStrom great bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yes but if you said to them I do not intend to commute on my bike, then one day for whatever reason you do... Ask that to any agent on the phone they won't even be able to answer you.

I find bike insurance very lax in Ireland , I rang up to declare performance mods on my bike and the exact words were "we don't really care lad once you haven't changed the engine , this has been recorded so you have declared them" no charge . I asked for it in writing

They won't be able to answer but as Wonda-Boy says see what happens if you claim theft outside work.

Did you get the written confirmation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You cant leave anything "up in the air" if you dont have something in writing or a recorded phone call you are gonna get it HARD with no LUBE!

These guys cant do enough for you at renewal time, seriously different tone when you are talking to the claims department!

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    They won't be able to answer but as Wonda-Boy says see what happens if you claim theft outside work.

Did you get the written confirmation?

I got an email from them I printed off. I don't trust them when they say these things are recorded. I just couldn't believe how your man essentially said they didn't give a **** what I had done to it.

Advertisement