Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running hydration packs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I don't have a purely hydration pack as I use a vest that holds some gear as well as bottles at the front but I can recommend Ultimate Direction as a brand.

I've tried a raidlight vest that was poor quality, doesn't fit very snuggly and the bladder bobs around in the back so I've switched to an Ultimate Direction one as it was recommended. The fit is perfect and although the one I have has the water bottles at the front (which suits my needs) they do a fast pack that holds a hydration bladder. The Ultimate Direction brand seems to be very popular with adventure racers and ultra marathoners and I can only guess that it's because it fits so snuggly, you hardly know that you're wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Firstly, I'd be questioning does a triathlete in Ireland, even one training for full-distance, really need a hydration pack. Honestly, for how many runs a year will you need 1.5L of fluids? Hydrate sufficiently beforehand, and you should be able get through any run you'll need to do without water.

Having said that, I have two Camelbaks (1.5L & 3L) that I bought for cycling and I did run with the smaller one once. It had no clips on the front straps and it bounced way too much to run with. I imagine you'd experience similar problems with the pack you've linked. Even though I see one clip, I don't think it would be enough to prevent a full bladder from bouncing about. This is very annoying and you'll want to ditch the pack within a few minutes. That's what I did on my trial run with that Camelbak.

The 2015 Age Group winner in Kona ran with a hydration pack, so there is sometimes a time and a place for using them. Search Google Images for 'Malte Bruns triathlon' and you'll see the sort of pack he used. It has two clips at the front which should prevent the pack from moving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Hi Zico.

I agree and i was actually going to call out in OP that it is not a necessity however i do find i dehydrate badly on longer runs and would generally stop off on route for a small bottle of water etc. While 1.5l is excessive having 500-700ml would be nice to have available. Have tried them bottle holding belts previously and not a fan. More convenience than anything..
    Anyway that's all a side note. There is actually an outdoors shop next to work (in all my years never ventured in).
    Stock these. Worth trying if Camelpak not recommenced. Only €35 so worth a punt.
    http://ultimate-performance.co.uk/sports-accessories/hydration/tarn-15l-hydration-pack-up6381"]http://ultimate-performance.co.uk/sports-accessories/hydration/tarn-15l-hydration-pack-up6381[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HNU5R0W/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

I bought that guy a few weeks ago and really like it. First time wearing one and forgot I had it on after a few mins. Was running in Dublin mountains for 2.5 hours. I want it for adventure races where mandatory kit is required. Had the 2 bottles filled and packed in my phone, medical kit, car key and rain jacket. Space isn't an issue. Easy to drink out of the bottles also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I'm not saying I wouldn't recommend Camelbak, I just wouldn't recommend that one particular Camelbak I ran with. They're the market leader, so they're bound to make some good ones. Seeing as you mention the "bottle holding belts"; I used to do long runs in Thailand with one of them and if you really must take fluids with you on a run, then I think they'd be a better option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Forget a camelbak with bladder. They can be a pain and you have no idea of how much water is left.

I'd go for a ultra race vest. 90% of ultra runners use vests now. Very comfortable, light and handy to carry bottles and refill them.

Salomon are great but expensive. You can cheaper alternatives but vests are the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

The Salomon vests are good, very comfortable and stable, but pricey. I wear one fully loaded even for some shorter runs, not so much because I need the water but carrying the extra weight up the hills helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

I have the salmon very good but very pricey unless you are really using it. I found the ultimate direction one awkward to get at the pockets but I have iffy shoulder mobility. If you want a good cheap little number you can't go wrong with this.

https://www.kalenji.co.uk/mens-running-trail-bag-id_8312245

There is a bladder but you can put bottles in the front. I wouldn't use there bottles though if buy others as the ones they can supply at a cost are massive!!

Advertisement