Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insured on mothers car but mother has died, still insured?

Options
  • 16-05-2017 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

This is actually for my brother. So he has a camper that he drives as his main vehicle, but he put it in my mothers name as she has a separate primary vehicle.

My mother has died, and her (and his, in her name) insurance is due for renewal shortly.

He could just renew my mothers insirance, but I don't think he would technically be insured?

Obviously once the estate is sorted out, the camper will be in his name and he can sort it out no problem but this will take quite a while.

He has considered just sending off the logbook and putting it in his name but this isn't a route he wants to go down either as it wouldn't be legitimate.

Is there a solution for people in this situation?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Your mother is (nominally) the primary driver of the vehicle. I think that would be an issue. I would contact the insurer immediately, and advise them that your brother is the primary user, and ask them will he still be covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

salad17 wrote: »
    He could just renew my mothers insirance, but I don't think he would technically be insured?

He wouldn't be insured.

Sorry to hear of your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sorry for your loss.

He should contact the insurer straight away to have the policy amended, he may not be insured right now to be driving around as policyholder details have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

He wouldn't be insured.

Sorry to hear of your situation.

Strictly speaking, it could be argued that he wasn't insured before the bereavement either, as he was technically fronting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its called fronting and they will not insure if he is caught out. He needs to insure in his name but may save by adding you or others on the policy.

Terrible time for you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

endacl wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, it could be argued that he wasn't insured before the bereavement either, as he was technically fronting.

There's no technically about it, he was flat out fronting and doing it knowingly by the way the OP reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There's no technically about it, he was flat out fronting and doing it knowingly by the way the OP reads.

Yeah, but let's go easy, given the circumstances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Similar situation recently and i contacted the insurer to inform them . They (123) were happy to keep named drivers insured until the policy expired. I had a letter to confirm the same as I wanted to be sure they were covered. I was even able to add someone to the policy temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Sorry for your loss OP.

Your brother's best bet is to call the Insurers and ask them directly what to do.

He can't simply renew the policy because it's not in his name and he shouldn't be on it in the first place by the sounds of it and in case the way it was set up originally was fronting which is a form of fraud so his Insurers may not be willing to insure him in his own name anyway.

He needs to call them and be completely honest and upfront about the situation and let them guide him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

endacl wrote: »
    Yeah, but let's go easy, given the circumstances?

To be fair the OP is asking for our advise which we cannot give him if we beat around the bush.

• Advertisement
Advertisement