Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Espresso Coffee Machine with Milk Frother

• 16-05-2017 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭

I need a hand in sourcing one of the above for my OH. I don't even drink coffee myself but have been given the above guidance for some present shopping. I don't want to get a cheapo one but don't want to spend more than €150 or so as this would probably be used once a week (by her own admission).

Any recommendations or is this feasible. We're currently making coffee through a cafetiere but it's messy and we often end up throwing most of the brew out.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I need a hand in sourcing one of the above for my OH. I don't even drink coffee myself but have been given the above guidance for some present shopping. I don't want to get a cheapo one but don't want to spend more than €150 or so as this would probably be used once a week (by her own admission).

Any recommendations or is this feasible. We're currently making coffee through a cafetiere but it's messy and we often end up throwing most of the brew out.

Thanks

You should have a look at this one,
    http://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/coffee-machine/12916509

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Thanks

Your best bet if €150 is your budget is to keep an eye out for when Aldi and Lidl have their espresso machines roughly twice a year, their not earth moving but they're the best for that price.

I have two machines one cost €900 and the other €400 and they're only middle of the road so that will give you an idea of the market you're dealing with.

Also keep an eye on Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de lightening sales and you might get lucky.

That's not an espresso machine it's a pod machine that gives Very small cups of lukewarm liquid that tastes nothing like coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

That's not an espresso machine it's a pod machine that gives Very small cups of lukewarm liquid that tastes nothing like coffee.

That's your opinion, but from the description provided and price range that is exactly what his wife wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

A pod machine makes more than sense as the OP stated that their OH would only use the machine about once a week.

• Advertisement

That's your opinion, but from the description provided and price range that is exactly what his wife wants.

The description states an "espresso" machine. Any resemblance between an espresso and the brown liquid that comes from a nespresso is purely coincidental.

The description states an "espresso" machine. Any resemblance between an espresso and the brown liquid that comes from a nespresso is purely coincidental.

Again that's your opinion

Again that's your opinion

No it's a fact.
    Just Google espresso and read the description and it won't mention anything about vacuum packed 12 month old coffee grounds that have lost all their goodness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thanks

Lavazza machines are very good for the money. The tierra range of coffee pods is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Your best bet if €150 is your budget is to keep an eye out for when Aldi and Lidl have their espresso machines roughly twice a year, their not earth moving but they're the best for that price.

I have two machines one cost €900 and the other €400 and they're only middle of the road so that will give you an idea of the market you're dealing with.

Also keep an eye on Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de lightening sales and you might get lucky.

oh lord - pretentious much?

Not really helpful either given that the OP was quite clear as to the budget.

• Advertisement

No it's a fact.
    Just Google espresso and read the description and it won't mention anything about vacuum packed 12 month old coffee grounds that have lost all their goodness.

Here is another fact, the avolatte.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/avolatte-avocado-caffe-latte-coffee-cafe-australia-hipster-a7746561.html

Does that mean it's right?

You need to be more open to other peoples opinions

lawred2 wrote: »
    oh lord - pretentious much?

Not really helpful either given that the OP was quite clear as to the budget.

If you chose to read my whole post instead of just highlighting pieces that suits your narrative you'd notice that I recommended keeping an eye out for the Lidl and Aldi espresso machines that pop up from time to time which are well below his budget.

Also the figures mentioned were to give the OP some perspective of the market that he's getting into and the difference in price and quality.

If you want pretentious then just have a gander at the queue of "look at men's" in Brown Thomas buying their nespresso pods just so they can be seen walking around with their striped bag.

Here is another fact, the avolatte.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/avolatte-avocado-caffe-latte-coffee-cafe-australia-hipster-a7746561.html

Does that mean it's right?

You need to be more open to other peoples opinions

The "fact" that some moron with a beany and a twirly moustache decided to pour coffee into an Avocado isn't comparable to the "fact" that Nespresso machines don't brew Espressos.

I'm open to opinions but just because your uniformed opinions that Nespresso based drinks can be classed as espresso based drinks doesn't trump the fact that they are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The "fact" that some moron with a beany and a twirly moustache decided to pour coffee into an Avocado isn't comparable to the "fact" that Nespresso machines don't brew Espressos.

I'm open to opinions but just because your uniformed opinions that Nespresso based drinks can be classed as espresso based drinks doesn't trump the fact that they are not.

Op could spend 400 Euro on half decent espresso machine without grinder and use ground beans that will loose most of the aroma because they make coffee so rarely. Or they could get a cheaper pod coffee machine that will serve the purpose perfectly. Considering the frequency of use they will get better cup of coffee using pods.

Op I am not an expert on pod coffee machines but I would look into them.

Uniformed :D

Oh to be such an expert to be able to not only know they are right but to also know everybody else is wrong.

I'm sorry to say you have displayed all the stereotypical traits of a total coffe snob who actually puts barriers in place for people who simply want to drink coffee. That's what it's actually about in case you have forgotten

Uniformed :D

Oh to be such an expert to be able to not only know they are right but to also know everybody else is wrong.

I'm sorry to say you have displayed all the stereotypical traits of a total coffe snob who actually puts barriers in place for people who simply want to drink coffee. That's what it's actually about in case you have forgotten

I totally agree, I have no idea why someone who wants to drink coffee would choose to drink Nespresso brown lukewarm liquid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bit of context probably needed. If the OPs other half is part of the masses that think nespresso coffee is just fine and a nice gadget to have then fair enough. It's natural that people who frequent a coffee and tea forum will more than likely have higher standards than most.
    There are people that swear Starbucks coffee is the nicest they've tasted for example.

Advertisement