Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra fans for BitFenix Shinobi case

Options
  • 16-05-2017 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'd like to add couple of extra fans to my Shinobi case, that currently has only one rear exhaust fan. According to this article, the case has 2x 120mm front mounts, 2x 120mm/140mm roof mounts, 120mm rear mount (fan supplied), 120mm floor mount:
    https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2011/08/05/bitfenix-shinobi-review/1

But I'm a little confused with the priority. What's more important, front or top? Or should I put 140 to top, and 120 to the front?
    Also, particular fans suggestions are welcome (noise is priority).

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Nibs05

XVII wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I'd like to add couple of extra fans to my Shinobi case, that currently has only one rear exhaust fan. According to this article, the case has 2x 120mm front mounts, 2x 120mm/140mm roof mounts, 120mm rear mount (fan supplied), 120mm floor mount:
    https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2011/08/05/bitfenix-shinobi-review/1

But I'm a little confused with the priority. What's more important, front or top? Or should I put 140 to top, and 120 to the front?
    Also, particular fans suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

I have the same case that I'm still using after 5 years, my configuration is,

2x 120 in the front as intake
    2x 140 in the roof as exhaust
    1x 120 in the back as exhaust

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Also have the Shinobi! I'm using 1 at the back (the default, but it was broken when i got it), so I picked up 3 Arctic F12 fans, one at the back to replace the dud as exhaust, and two at the front as intake. Also bought a bitfenix recon fan controller, though I will highly advise staying the **** away from it, two buttons on the touch screen never worked and then after the most recent clean, detaching some unnecessary probes, the touch screen option to select manual no longer works so I have max speed fans... Tossing it in the trash as soon as I get a new controller (with physical dials!). There is also SpeedFan Software for controlling fans connected to the motherboard. I never found to work quite well enough with my motherboard which is why I went with getting a fan controller, so your mileage may vary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just make sure everything's equal in terms of airflow and make sure to get decent, quiet fans. Nothing worse than a new fan becoming the loudest part of your system. 1x rear exhaust, 1x roof exhaust, 2x intake, all the same size would be ideal but realistically in any half decent case 1x exhaust and 1x intake is generally more than enough.

In fact from a purely functional point of view no fans are really needed at all in most instances.

Just make sure everything's equal in terms of airflow and make sure to get decent, quiet fans. Nothing worse than a new fan becoming the loudest part of your system. 1x rear exhaust, 1x roof exhaust, 2x intake, all the same size would be ideal but realistically in any half decent case 1x exhaust and 1x intake is generally more than enough.

In fact from a purely functional point of view no fans are really needed at all in most instances.

Any gaming system should have at least 1x intake & 1x exhaust :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

The idea is that there is enough passive airflow due to the vacuum created by the CPU fan and the GPU fans. Is it ideal? No. But it can work as proven by linustechtips literally stuffing a PC with a t-shirt and other insulation, yet it still operating fine, if a little hotter.

So it's good to have a nice airflow through the case if you care about the longevity of the components, but it isn't fatal to not have it for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Well in fairness I did say from a purely functional POV. No fans, or 20 fans, will not be the difference in the average gaming system actually overheating, it's purely a matter of temperatures, optimal values and comfort zones.

Unless you're rocking an FX-9350 setup, obviously. ;)

My own system benefitted enormously from the simple addition of a 120mm exhaust; temperatures went down, which in turn meant noise went down.

Advertisement