Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpentry and joinery qualifications

Options
  • 16-05-2017 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I am currently studying Carpentry and joinery nvq level 2 over in england, which is is basically what the second year apprentices come out with over here. ( out of a maximum of 3 years ) I can do the third year too ( NVQ level 3, if funds , life allow )

Is there any employers in the trade here like to tell me if this is recognized in the same way a FAS apprenticeship is over here in Dublin?

I have real world experience as a basic mdf cabinet maker/ wood machinist as a youth, but decided, as a 40 year old, to get my papers as a "proper joiner" as I never got the opportunity to go to FAS as a kid as my employer outright refused to let me go, although promising me he would for years.

Anyway, Ill be able to fit a kitchen/ hang a door/ build a window/ stairs and have a city and guilds to confirm. Surely its worth something?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

In my experience, if you can do the work, stairs, windows doors ect............then thats all an employer is interested in.

I,ve never been asked to show any of my qualifications at all to any employer, strangely enough.

I was much in the same boat as you for many years, registered as an apprentice way back in 1972.

And it wasn't until 2004 that I received my papers from the National Craft network after producing proof of

working in the trade, and proof of work that i had done, and my abilities.

Qualifications are universally recognised now as far as i know.

Contact , and join The Institute of Carpenters in the UK, they will advise you on this.

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 41 steve McQueen

Thanks Tim

Advertisement