Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non resident motor insurance

Options
  • 16-05-2017 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I've no doubt this has been covered before but my simple question is, can I as a non resident, take out a motor insurance policy.

Basically I'm on a long term assignment abroad with my Irish based company. I've been abroad for a year and a half already. Im returning home for a month to Ireland with the family during the summer with my family then following me back abroad a month later. I still have my car at home which someone else has kept running. Can I take out an insurance policy (as a non resident) to cover the 2 month the car will be needed for me and then my wife? I know I'd have to cancel and pay a penalty, but can I myself do it?

I previously thought I couldn't and would have to get a parent to insure it and then be a named driver but then my mother made enquiries and was told I could just insure it myself.....anyone any insight or experience of this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Anyone???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Most / all insurers will require proposers be permanent residents of RoI in order to quote.

Beat bet is to try a broker and see if they have a market for you, I'd imagine that there would be no point going to the main players directly.

Advertisement