Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite Dangerous(PS4)

Options
  • 16-05-2017 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

I would love to be a PS4 player who likes space games and has never played Elite: Dangerous.

The next 4 to 500 hours of your life are going to be awesome.

You will die from making an arse of a landing, you will die from running out of fuel, you will get ganked in open by a seal clubber, you will find it insanely difficult at beginning.

After a thousand hours you will moan on the forums there is "no content".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Will it have PSVR support?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

I am very curious to try this as I played Elite when it came out 1st on a schoolfriends BBC Micro Computer..it blew my mind at the time.. nothing like dog fights with Pirates or Police.. docking was always a pain in the arse mind..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

bigphil2 wrote: »
    I am very curious to try this as I played Elite when it came out 1st on a schoolfriends BBC Micro Computer..it blew my mind at the time.. nothing like dog fights with Pirates or Police.. docking was always a pain in the arse mind..

Stalking and hunting "wanted" NPC's and pirates through asteroid belts is pretty damm cool :D

DE29AFBA4AAEA68CA0F9CAD44C65C36D14599E8C

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Pftt puny space pirate.

7E2AF497987B95135C46A9A67E1F6C0552CB4095

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

When is it out?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

When is it out?

You didn't watch the video. :P
    27/6.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

F1ngers wrote: »
    You didn't watch the video. :P
    27/6.

I didn't :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Will it have PSVR support?

Nope

from a Q&A on the Frontier website

Will Elite Dangerous support PlayStation®VR?

Elite Dangerous is a flagship VR game on PC so of course, VR is important to us. It’s definitely something we’re looking into, but we have nothing to announce for launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

What sort of game is this other than a space exploration game. It is something you would need to dedicate a lot of time to or are there pick up and play for 30/45 mins activities? The trailer shows a lot of action but obviously they are showing the best bits. Is it in the same vane as eve online or is it way less hardcore? Also is there any single player content or is it all multiplayer?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    What sort of game is this other than a space exploration game. It is something you would need to dedicate a lot of time to or are there pick up and play for 30/45 mins activities? The trailer shows a lot of action but obviously they are showing the best bits. Is it in the same vane as eve online or is it way less hardcore? Also is there any single player content or is it all multiplayer?

There is a solo mode but you're still online, just means you wont have a chance to get instanced with other players. Once you get out of the starting system though you don't tend to run into other players unless you go looking for them.

To get the best, most expensive ships in the game requires lots of grinding but the smaller ships are fun too. It's grand game to dip in and out of, you can easily just hop on for an hour and do a few trade or bounty missions or whatever.

There's a steep learning curve though s oyou need to put a bit of time in to learning the controls, particularly how to land in a station without getting blown up :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I see this is being released today. Is this the game I wished No Mans Sky was went I bought it I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

fixxxer wrote: »
    I see this is being released today. Is this the game I wished No Mans Sky was went I bought it I wonder.

Released yesterday and yes its the game NMS was ment to be but without the crafting and research.

This game is 3 years old too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

It's a very humbling experience when a space station cancels your docking authorization because you take too long trying to get your ship aligned correctly :-/

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

fixxxer wrote: »
    It's a very humbling experience when a space station cancels your docking authorization because you take too long trying to get your ship aligned correctly :-/

It might be worth investing in a docking computer early on.

There should be a training mission especially about docking too, once you get used to the controls it's second nature (I played on xbox but I'd imagine the PS4 controls are identical).

Controls are also highly configurable if you don't like the default set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

How does it run on the standard PS4?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It might be worth investing in a docking computer early on.

There should be a training mission especially about docking too, once you get used to the controls it's second nature (I played on xbox but I'd imagine the PS4 controls are identical).

Controls are also highly configurable if you don't like the default set up.

I kept on overshooting the drop out and couldnt figure out that that was why my landing gear wasnt deploying,so was hovering over the landing pad,swearing at the tv... but it defintiely helped improve my manoevering skills..

Your landing gear should be able to deploy as long as your'e not in super cruise I think. It will slow the ship down a bit so might make it easier to manoeuvre.

In terms of managing ship speed I found it easier to set the throttle to increments rather than needing to hold the button down, so I know if I tap left bumper 4 times the ship will stop dead and if I tap right bumper 4 times I'll be at full throttle.

For dropping out of super cruise at a particular station, keep the throttle in the blue area and it will automatically manage your speed on approach so you don't over shoot.

Your landing gear should be able to deploy as long as your'e not in super cruise I think. It will slow the ship down a bit so might make it easier to manoeuvre.

In terms of managing ship speed I found it easier to set the throttle to increments rather than needing to hold the button down, so I know if I tap left bumper 4 times the ship will stop dead and if I tap right bumper 4 times I'll be at full throttle.

For dropping out of super cruise at a particular station, keep the throttle in the blue area and it will automatically manage your speed on approach so you don't over shoot.

Yeah,i eventually figured it out,but for some reason i was in the station but was in supercruise mode ( the charge fsd hint kept popping up) so i had to got out of the station supercruise away and approachy again.. all went ok then..

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Yeah,i eventually figured it out,but for some reason i was in the station but was in supercruise mode ( the charge fsd hint kept popping up) so i had to got out of the station supercruise away and approachy again.. all went ok then..

I didn't think it was possible to get into a station in super cruise, sounds like you broke the game a bit :D

I didn't think it was possible to get into a station in super cruise, sounds like you broke the game a bit :D

Haha, and it was literally the 2nd training mission too..

i suppose its better to mess up then than in open play.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Bought this yesterday. Only got as far as the docking training lol

Couldn't make heads nor tails of it :o

Don't worry about the incursion training missions, one of them is(possibly two of them) borderline impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Spent 20 mins trying to dock in the second training mission. FFS, cant get my brain in gear for this at all.
    Added to that, only poxed my way to stop at that space station. Dont know how to get out of hyperdrive smoothly.

is there an easier way to control the pitch/yaw using the controller? The default scheme is not intuitive to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

If anyone wants to get a little head start on learning a bit about the game Obsidian Ant on youtube is doing a playthrough on PS4 currently. Ive found him very helpful while learning the game on PC and as the PS4 version is new he has started from scratch in the PS4 playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Thanks Eoin. Watched a few of his videos last night.
    I'm reading the following too, for general tips and tricks too. Makes a lot more sense now that I've dicked around in the game for a bit.
    Think I'll spend a few hours tonight, just doing the tutorials again. Will get more competent at dropping outta lightspeed and parking.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6k6lmj/a_cheat_sheet_guide_for_new_players_ps4_or/

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/06/guide_elite_dangerous_tips_and_tricks_for_beginners

Spent 20 mins trying to dock in the second training mission. FFS, cant get my brain in gear for this at all.
    Added to that, only poxed my way to stop at that space station. Dont know how to get out of hyperdrive smoothly.

is there an easier way to control the pitch/yaw using the controller? The default scheme is not intuitive to me.

Exactly the same stuff did on that same mission.. seems to be a definite case of practice makes perfect..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Last night I found a control scheme I am almost happy with, I docked 4 times in a row without crashing and finished my first mission. While it seems like a small thing it was a huge sense of achievement. Think it's got it's hooks in now

Once you get a ship that can carry a little bit of cargo and jump a reasonable distance to get around it's worth looking at the community goals for some easy money.

www.reddit.com/r/EliteCG

You should be able to find them on the galaxy map as yellow waymarks.

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Last night I found a control scheme I am almost happy with, I docked 4 times in a row without crashing and finished my first mission. While it seems like a small thing it was a huge sense of achievement. Think it's got it's hooks in now

What scheme did you use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

A little tip when on approach in super cruise,as long as the distance is is still in ls(light seconds) make sure your arrival time never goes under 7 seconds,if it does your most likely going to fast. Once it gets to less than 1 Mm(Million Mile?) thats when you disengage super cruise.

Advertisement