Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eir email IMAP

Options
  • 16-05-2017 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Can eir provide outgoing IMAP server details?

It is madness that this stlil doesn't exist and that eir expect people to only send email when they are on an eir connection.
    In this day and age of ubiquitous internet access, I find it absolutely horrible of eir to impose artificial limitations like this. The free software you use to power your email is capable of this so why isn't it switched on.

Yes, yes, there are other email providers but a lot of people have their eircom email address as ther primary(if not sole) email address.
    I find it truly obnoxious of eir not to enable their customers to send email from anywhere at anytime like every other email provider.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭eir: Leanne

Hi spucey2, 

Thanks for getting in touch. 

I have followed this up with the relevant department and I will be in touch with an update. 

Thanks, 
    Leanne. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭eir: Leanne

Hi spucey2, 

These emails can be accessed from anywhere in the world by using the browser Internet Explorer or Chrome or Firefox. You would just need to login to webmail.eir.ie with their username and password.

Instead of setting up a client webmail.eir.ie can be accessed from anywhere without configuration.

Here are the details to access your webmails:

- Incoming
      - Host Name: webmail.eircom.net
      - Username: xxxx@eircom.net
      - Password: xxxx

- Advanced
      - Incoming
      - Use SSL: "untick this option"
      - Authentication: password
      - Server Port: 143

- Outgoing
      - SMTP: mail1.eircom.net
      - "select mail1.eircom.net"
      - Authentication: "make sure none selected"

- Server Port: 25

Thanks for getting in touch:)

Thanks, 
    Leanne. 

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

spucey2 wrote: »

It is madness that this stlil doesn't exist and that eir expect people to only send email when they are on an eir connection.
    In this day and age of ubiquitous internet access, I find it absolutely horrible of eir to impose artificial limitations like this. The free software you use to power your email is capable of this so why isn't it switched on.

Yes, yes, there are other email providers but a lot of people have their eircom email address as ther primary(if not sole) email address.
    I find it truly obnoxious of eir not to enable their customers to send email from anywhere at anytime like every other email provider.
    IMAP is available. Settings here:
    http://support.eir.ie/article/How_do_I_access_my_email_using_email_software_or_an_APP

Also, no ISP/provider will allow non customers to send email through their email servers. This is standard practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 spucey2

java wrote: »
    spucey2 wrote: »

IMAP is available. Settings here:

Also, no ISP/provider will allow non customers to send email through their email servers. This is standard practice.
    I don't see what your point is.
    An ISP can still enforce this as email a/c is associated with actual a/c.
    Its 2017. Limiting the sending of emails to only when you're on their network is stupid and a sign of technical/business incompetence.

Hi spucey2, 

These emails can be accessed from anywhere in the world by using the browser Internet Explorer or Chrome or Firefox. You would just need to login to webmail.eir.ie with their username and password.

Instead of setting up a client webmail.eir.ie can be accessed from anywhere without configuration.

Here are the details to access your webmails:

- Incoming
      - Host Name: webmail.eircom.net
      - Username:
      - Password: xxxx

- Advanced
      - Incoming
      - Authentication: password
      - Server Port: 143

- Outgoing
      - SMTP: mail1.eircom.net
      - "select mail1.eircom.net"
      - Authentication: "make sure none selected"

- Server Port: 25

Thanks for getting in touch:)

Thanks, 
    Leanne. 
    Hi. Thanks.
    You seem to have missed the point.
    Everybody uses native apps on their phone(as these support push notifications among other things).
    These apps are just plain better than whatever crappy UI somebody slaps on their email offering.

The solution to "login to the webmail" interface is nowhere near good enough.
    The person who provided this answer to you knows this too but it "got you off their back" no doubt.
    That answer was provided to you by a lazy person who doesn't want to provide/look into an appropriate solution.

Look at the stats for your webmail server and tell me how many people are visiting that site from mobile? 0 right?

Eir are behaving like an amateur company by not allowing their customers to take advantage of technology which has been common place for the last 10 years.

This is pure obnoxious behaviour and whoever told you that "answer" is no doubt the kind of person that has been at eir for the last >10 years because they don't have the talent or skills or work ethic to work elsewhere.

• Advertisement

>Also, no ISP/provider will allow non customers to send email through their email servers. This is standard practice.

Also, find another thread to troll in. Talking authoritatively on something you clearly know nothing about."This is standard practice" Do, tell us more..

Lemme guess, you once read a piece about people sending spam so you're now an expert on how & what ISPs do/can do to mitigate this right?

Leave the actual talk to *actual* competent engineers.

People like you irritate me no end.
    Empty vessels making the most noise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

I'm afraid this is all we can advise from here and you are required to setup a client or use webmail as we would be unable to do this from our end.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Phonicks

Op if you have a gmail account, logon into it in a browser, in settings you can add another account you own, enter your eircom details ( this only has to be done once)

Now you can imap into your gmail and receive both gmail and eircom emails
    You have spam filtering
    Gmail remove virus attachments
    You can reply/send from any internet connection
    Bigger mailbox
    Easier to set up in modern email clients

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

There is a SSL Cert issue  currently with the old webmail.eircom.net address - its now using a cert for webmail.EIR.ie

Are there updated settings for the new incoming and outgoing server.

Advertisement