Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin media in Castlebar

• 16-05-2017 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

No idea on dates but they are in a good few estates so hopefully not to long.
    It's probably just fibre to the cabnit there pulling and not fibre to the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

naughto wrote:
    No idea on dates but they are in a good few estates so hopefully not to long. It's probably just fibre to the cabnit there pulling and not fibre to the house

FTTH I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Ftth then a converter to coax

The lads doing the rollout are really putting siro to shame. They are moving at a real fast pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭FaganJr

RHJ wrote:

I didn't see any press releases about this?? Anyone got any links??

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Saw them working on Pound Road last week, seem to have a few crews around the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Any updates when the service goes live?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Got a leaflet through the door advertising the service so I don't think it should be too much longer. They seem to be moving pretty fast with the rollout anyway.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Got a leaflet through the door advertising the service so I don't think it should be too much longer. They seem to be moving pretty fast with the rollout anyway.

Could you upload a pic of that leaflet please?

Could you upload a pic of that leaflet please?

Yeah will do when I get home after work. There wasn't much detail on it though, just an advertisement really.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah will do when I get home after work. There wasn't much detail on it though, just an advertisement really.

I was on there site and put in my address and there's nothing there even tho I live right where they where doing the upgrades close to the welcome inn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

RHJ wrote: »
    Your best bet is to PM their reps on this site with your address and eircode and they will be able to tell you.

Great idea, thanks.

Great idea, thanks.

Done that and they couldn't give me a date. But today there literally digging up the road out side my house. Could you upload that leaflet they gave you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Done that and they couldn't give me a date. But today there literally digging up the road out side my house. Could you upload that leaflet they gave you.

Are you sure it was Virgin? Our estate was being dug up today by guys working on Siro.

PARlance wrote: »
    Are you sure it was Virgin? Our estate was being dug up today by guys working on Siro.

Siro be even better, but I stopped and chatted with one of the workers for a few mins, he said it was Virgin Media. Do Siro have any work vans or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Siro be even better, but I stopped and chatted with one of the workers for a few mins, he said it was Virgin Media. Do Siro have any work vans or anything?

Siro are out by Baxter they have parter up with Westnet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Have only seen one Siro van knocking around infrequently. Was chatting to the guys in our estate (Pontoon Rd) and they said it was Siro that they were working on. Quite a few of them, down from Donegal / Derry, the Vans were all DL regs and Tohill was the contractor's name on them.

Anyone get Virgin Media yet??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

FaganJr wrote: »
    Anyone get Virgin Media yet??

Its not available yet

statto25 wrote:
    Its not available yet

Is there a launch date??

• Advertisement

FaganJr wrote: »
    Is there a launch date??

Their availability checker says available soon when I punch in Main Street. I think someone here said their reps were going door to door so will probably available by end of summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

statto25 wrote: »
    Their availability checker says available soon when I punch in Main Street. I think someone here said their reps were going door to door so will probably available by end of summer.

That availability checker came up with a host of green lights when I entered Pontoon Rd. in it about 3 wks ago. I notice that it has since been pulled from their site.

Actavo are making very good progress with the cabling. We should have installs in Q 4 this year. If that happens, it will put Eir & Siro to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Actavo are doing very well, sure Eir cabinets in the town centre were only providing a 24mb service less than a year ago, and only a 100mb maximum now, it will be interesting to see which areas Siro will be available.

I think they screwed up my internet, they're working in our estate at the moment and I came home to a dead phone line yesterday :o

Might just be coincidence as the neighbour's is still working but still :pac:

There fineshed out side mine moved to the estate next t door. They move fast allright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

There's more work. It appears going on both in Willow Grove and along the pontoon road.

Shame I'm due to have sky installed and the maximum speed they could promise me is 12 Mb per second :(

12Mb in the town? Doesn't sound right. Where you living?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

12Mb in the town? Doesn't sound right. Where you living?

Quite a few places around Castlebar have 12mb and under if you check the Eir coverage map.

Xenji wrote: »
    Quite a few places around Castlebar have 12mb and under if you check the Eir coverage map.

Thats pretty shocking in this day and age. I do know a guy who lives not far out the Newport Road, closest exchange is at the Dunbeg estate but he is connected to the Islandeady exchange. Can only get 4meg down at the best of times.

• Advertisement

If you're only just getting it installed you should still be within the cooling off period. Only issue is you'll be without internet until Virgin are up and running most likely.
    Thats pretty shocking in this day and age. I do know a guy who lives not far out the Newport Road, closest exchange is at the Dunbeg estate but he is connected to the Islandeady exchange. Can only get 4meg down at the best of times.

When i was renting in St Patricks Av across from the hospital the house was roughly 20 metres from a supposedly live fibre cabinet but couldn't get a fibre connection.

Advertisement