Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin media in Castlebar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Yep. Type in your address on the Virgin Media website, and W.H lane comes up . Lucky you .

Cheers. Just signed up for the 240mb there. We'll see how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Not live in my estate when I type in my address. Even tho they fineshed work ages ago. Shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭FaganJr

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    Thats what we were told originally a few days back over the phone but it seems they have changed since and cant guarantee a date or when they expect to be ready to go live. Guess we wont find out until we see the player in the jersey...or in this case the ad in the paper!
    Cheers. Just signed up for the 240mb there. We'll see how it goes

Are you getting Multi room? Interested in Set up??

FaganJr wrote:
    Are you getting Multi room? Interested in Set up??

Not sure yet. Will discuss with the 'Ninja' when they contact me

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Mr May0

I checked my address (Upper Charles Street) on their site about a month ago and had the expected "service will be available in your area in the forseeable future" message, checked yesterday and that message is gone, now it just tells me that it is not available at my address.

Spoke to a rep on here and on Twitter and both said that (according to their system) they have no plans to bring it to my address.

Annoyed as I cancelled my contract with Eir about 6 weeks ago (otherwise I would have been roped into 18 months of 18MB internet at a silly price) and have been using mobile data since as I was told by a few reps that it would be at my address and I was waiting to sign up to it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mr May0 wrote: »
    I checked my address (Upper Charles Street) on their site about a month ago and had the expected "service will be available in your area in the forseeable future" message, checked yesterday and that message is gone, now it just tells me that it is not available at my address.

Spoke to a rep on here and on Twitter and both said that (according to their system) they have no plans to bring it to my address.

Annoyed as I cancelled my contract with Eir about 6 weeks ago (otherwise I would have been roped into 18 months of 18MB internet at a silly price) and have been using mobile data since as I was told by a few reps that it would be at my address and I was waiting to sign up to it. :(

Not surprised by this, up till the middle of last year you could only get a maximum of 24MB in the majority of the town centre.

Not sure yet. Will discuss with the 'Ninja' when they contact me

Any Sign of the Ninja?

He's coming for a visit on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Are they planning to go out the Westport road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Has any one ordered any of there product

naughto wrote:
    Has any one ordered any of there product

I have. Hoping for install tomorrow

Did u get it installed?

Yes, tell us all about the Ninja.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Says it will be avaliable soon at my address.I seen Siro is avaliable now aswell.

FaganJr wrote:
    Yes, tell us all about the Ninja.

The ninja was a guy called Stephen. Pleasant enough fella and the install was quick and easy. Haven't had a chance to properly test it out yet as I have been away smpretty much since then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

The ninja was a guy called Stephen. Pleasant enough fella and the install was quick and easy. Haven't had a chance to properly test it out yet as I have been away smpretty much since then

Was there a legacy system in place or is it brand new completely? If it's brand new, what is involved in the install?

jca wrote:
    Was there a legacy system in place or is it brand new completely? If it's brand new, what is involved in the install?

. New connection. Biscuit tin size box on the outside of the house. Drill through to a small cigarette box size unit. This is plugged directly in to electricity socket and connected to modem

. New connection. Biscuit tin size box on the outside of the house. Drill through to a small cigarette box size unit. This is plugged directly in to electricity socket and connected to modem

Coax from unit to modem? Are you getting good speeds? I'm delighted with the service tbh.

Any pics?? Did you get multiroom?

Newport side of town won't be going live until 30/11!!!! Got a call back yesterday to confirm date!! Doubt I'll wait until then!!

• Advertisement

FaganJr wrote: »
    Newport side of town won't be going live until 30/11!!!! Got a call back yesterday to confirm date!! Doubt I'll wait until then!!

Unless you have ftth available to you I'd wait, I certainly wouldn't be going for a phone line type BB.

jca wrote:
    Unless you have ftth available to you I'd wait, I certainly wouldn't be going for a phone line type BB.

Eir & Vodafone, will have it soon enough. My plan at the moment is costing me. So need an introductory offer to keep bills down

Eir & Vodafone, will have it soon enough. My plan at the moment is costing me. So need an introductory offer to keep bills down

I know VM are doing introductory offers €20 off for the first 4 months €60 per month after that 12 month contract. It's really only for 3 months as there's a €20 installation charge on the first bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

This is my experience with V.M. Had a webchat with a rep regarding when would intallation start after the cabling is done. Actavo have been in my area for past 2 weeks and have cabled as far as my gaff and there is a terminal box there. He was'nt overly helpful and, at the end asked me for my Eircode. Said I would get a call within 3 days to let me know what services I could get. That was last Saturday. No call, but this evening got a text from them, which went as follows:

"Hi, its Virgin Media. We've just checked your postcode. Sadly, it looks like we can't provide services at you home yet. We're really sorry about that"

I replied that they were talking nonesense.:D, and asked them to indicate how long after cabling is done, that installs can be done.

This is my experience with V.M. Had a webchat with a rep regarding when would intallation start after the cabling is done. Actavo have been in my area for past 2 weeks and have cabled as far as my gaff and there is a terminal box there. He was'nt overly helpful and, at the end asked me for my Eircode. Said I would get a call within 3 days to let me know what services I could get. That was last Saturday. No call, but this evening got a text from them, which went as follows:

"Hi, its Virgin Media. We've just checked your postcode. Sadly, it looks like we can't provide services at you home yet. We're really sorry about that"

I replied that they were talking nonesense.:D, and asked them to indicate how long after cabling is done, that installs can be done.

I just used the website to check my address and when I got all the green ticks I went ahead and ordered it, the installer arrived the next day, job Oxo. From the time they installed the new cabinet to going live took about 4 weeks.

jca wrote:
    I just used the website to check my address and when I got all the green ticks I went ahead and ordered it, the installer arrived the next day, job Oxo. From the time they installed the new cabinet to going live took about 4 weeks.

Do you mean the big green cabinet similar to the EIR Fttc cabinet. If so that has been in more than 4 weeks and the guy working on the fiber cabling/connections in the cabinet is also finished. But still given a date of 30/11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Do you mean the big green cabinet similar to the EIR Fttc cabinet. If so that has been in more than 4 weeks and the guy working on the fiber cabling/connections in the cabinet is also finished. But still given a date of 30/11

So you're sure to have a happy household for Christmas:D

Yep, that's the one. My setup is a rework of the ancient legacy system maybe that's why the system went live more quickly.

Any using virgin media broadband in castlebar willing to give me an idea on how good bad it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

irishgeo wrote: »
    Any using virgin media broadband in castlebar willing to give me an idea on how good bad it is?

Not myself but a friend.

Painless install, getting slightly above the speed they are paying for, doesn't seem to suffer at peak times but I would imagine not many on it right now.

• Advertisement

I have it about six weeks now. Install was easy. Had no issues so far. Good speeds too

About 180- 200mb on WiFi usually

But can be down below 150 sometimes

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone get a date for when the estates on the Newport road are supposed to go live? Got the letter allowing my to jump ship from eir but doesn't look like the timing has gone my way.

Mickeroo wrote:
    Anyone get a date for when the estates on the Newport road are supposed to go live? Got the letter allowing my to jump ship from eir but doesn't look like the timing has gone my way.

30/11 according to reps a few weeks ago

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

30/11 according to reps a few weeks ago

Ah balls, I only have until 23rd October to jump ship.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Are u out of contract with eir?

naughto wrote: »
    Are u out of contract with eir?

No but they'er bumping their prices by a fiver so have sent out a letter saying you have 30 days to leave as a result.

Mickeroo wrote:

Well that was a few weeks ago, I haven't bothered or had time checking with them since. Might be worth checking again? They usually put new areas live for the beginning of a month. So Newport Rd may be live Monday??

Mickeroo wrote: »

Just checked this evening, and Newport Rd is live, so I stuck in the order, hopefull by this time next week will be up and running!

I have it about six weeks now. Install was easy. Had no issues so far. Good speeds too

About 180- 200mb on WiFi usually

But can be down below 150 sometimes

Did you get TV or just Broadband , just curious what TV Box they are supplying now?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

FaganJr wrote:
    Did you get TV or just Broadband , just curious what TV Box they are supplying now? Thanks

Didn't get the tv package. Impressed with the broadband though

Didn't get the tv package. Impressed with the broadband though

where they bring in the cable and whats involved power wise?

irishgeo wrote:
    where they bring in the cable and whats involved power wise?

Box on side of the house. Cable through to the hallway. Connector box plugged in to socket. Modem plugged in also. So 2 sockets needed

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Do you know if it's fibre or coax they brought into the house?

oscarBravo wrote: »

If it's powered it has to be fibre.

oscarBravo wrote:

I'll have to go out and open the box. But presume it's fibre

• Advertisement

A picture of the "connector box" inside the house would be fine.

Just checked this evening, and Newport Rd is live, so I stuck in the order, hopefull by this time next week will be up and running!

I checked last week and it said I couldn't get anything but now it's saying I can get everything! Good spot. Have a decision to make so :D

Interesting, looks like coax coming out of both that box and the power supply. I wonder if it's fibre to that box and coax to the cable modem?

The lads on the broadband form will no if you let me borrow the pic I will ask them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement