Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin media in Castlebar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Didn't get the tv package. Impressed with the broadband though

where they bring in the cable and whats involved power wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

irishgeo wrote:
    where they bring in the cable and whats involved power wise?

Box on side of the house. Cable through to the hallway. Connector box plugged in to socket. Modem plugged in also. So 2 sockets needed

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Do you know if it's fibre or coax they brought into the house?

oscarBravo wrote: »

If it's powered it has to be fibre.

oscarBravo wrote:

I'll have to go out and open the box. But presume it's fibre

• Advertisement

A picture of the "connector box" inside the house would be fine.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

FaganJr wrote: »
    Just checked this evening, and Newport Rd is live, so I stuck in the order, hopefull by this time next week will be up and running!

I checked last week and it said I couldn't get anything but now it's saying I can get everything! Good spot. Have a decision to make so :D

Interesting, looks like coax coming out of both that box and the power supply. I wonder if it's fibre to that box and coax to the cable modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

The lads on the broadband form will no if you let me borrow the pic I will ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Interesting, looks like coax coming out of both that box and the power supply. I wonder if it's fibre to that box and coax to the cable modem?

I think that's what it is, hybrid coax or something like that it's called it's to allow their TV boxes to connect into the VM network.

Most of their existing network is HFC (hybrid fibre/coax) with a fibre backbone feeding DOCSIS headends that then have coax running to the houses. I was curious to know whether they had gone to a full FTTH solution for a new-build network like Castlebar.

Most of their existing network is HFC (hybrid fibre/coax) with a fibre backbone feeding DOCSIS headends that then have coax running to the houses. I was curious to know whether they had gone to a full FTTH solution for a new-build network like Castlebar.

Yes I think all brand new builds are ftth with the very final step inside the house being coax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Signed up to Virgin the middle of September and was immediately given a date for installation for a week or so after! Got a call the night before saying that they would be around the next day.The next day came and got a call saying that tey had to cancel and would rearrange.It was rearranged for 12 Oct (today) but then got a call saying that it would happen on 27 th Sept (brought forward)...Happy Me!. Got a call the 26 th Sept and was told that it wasnt possible to install that day and they would be in touch!!!! Nothing since.Today I rang and their Customer Services and God Bless Americans a nice lady answered and didnt know an awful lot but put me through to somebody else who didnt know anything more!!!! He told me ,after asking me all the usual questions that the lady had already asked me,that the package I ordered no longer existed,€59.95,(so much for my signed agreement!!!) it was now 99.95!!!!!!!!!,totall fcukin deplorable customer services,he could not find my order eventhough I gave him every thing there was on the official receipt I got from the Field sales lad.I'm just hoping that they do not contact me again as I d be very very afraid to move from my present very expensive provider who are at least always on the end of the phone when I need them.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

ethical wrote: »
    Signed up to Virgin the middle of September and was immediately given a date for installation for a week or so after! Got a call the night before saying that they would be around the next day.The next day came and got a call saying that tey had to cancel and would rearrange.It was rearranged for 12 Oct (today) but then got a call saying that it would happen on 27 th Sept (brought forward)...Happy Me!. Got a call the 26 th Sept and was told that it wasnt possible to install that day and they would be in touch!!!! Nothing since.Today I rang and their Customer Services and God Bless Americans a nice lady answered and didnt know an awful lot but put me through to somebody else who didnt know anything more!!!! He told me ,after asking me all the usual questions that the lady had already asked me,that the package I ordered no longer existed,€59.95,(so much for my signed agreement!!!) it was now 99.95!!!!!!!!!,totall fcukin deplorable customer services,he could not find my order eventhough I gave him every thing there was on the official receipt I got from the Field sales lad.I'm just hoping that they do not contact me again as I d be very very afraid to move from my present very expensive provider who are at least always on the end of the phone when I need them.:mad:

Surely they should honour the price that existed when you ordered. That said, I notice the sneakily dropped all their old tarriffs and offers on 2nd October. And they have hiked up prices with their new tarriffs:(.

VM engineer marking out Manor Village for installation of fibre yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Anyone know if VM intend to extend their fibre out the Moneen road, or will they stop at the ring road roundabout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Anyone know if VM intend to extend their fibre out the Moneen road, or will they stop at the ring road roundabout?

I think Siro are cabling the Moneen Rd. area.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I think Siro are cabling the Moneen Rd. area.

Yeah - Siro been promising since before Christmas last year, but as yet they have still only a handful of estates enabled out this way, so losing all faith in Siro at this stage. Hence the question re VM plans...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Yeah - Siro been promising since before Christmas last year, but as yet they have still only a handful of estates enabled out this way, so losing all faith in Siro at this stage. Hence the question re VM plans...

If you give westnet Paul a pm he might be able to give you a date for when it’s being roiled out

• Advertisement

Manor Village is available to order

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

How's are people finding virgin media?I got it installed last Thursday and I'm finding it much poorer than my current/previous broadband provider.

I am aware I'm still in my cooling off period.

I have it over a year now and never had a bother with it. What issues are you experiencing?

i just got it installed yesterday. ill i am reserving judgement just yet. i be curious to see what issues you are having too.

I've been with Pure Telecom and the coverage throughout the house was excellent but since Thursday I've had lots of blackspots throughout the house. Extremely temperamental.Quite disappointed if the truth be told thus far.

I'm not leaving Pure Telecom until the end of the month if at all.

Have it a few months. Zero problems

seligehgit wrote: »
    I've been with Pure Telecom and the coverage throughout the house was excellent but since Thursday I've had lots of blackspots throughout the house. Extremely temperamental.Quite disappointed if the truth be told thus far.

I'm not leaving Pure Telecom until the end of the month if at all.

you tried maybe using a different wifi channel, they could be clashing with each other.

you can use a wifi channel checker and pick one that isnt in use around you.

do you have android or iphone? i can recommend an app to scan all the wifi and you can then find a channel with less noise on it.

irishgeo wrote: »
    you tried maybe using a different wifi channel, they could be clashing with each other.

you can use a wifi channel checker and pick one that isnt in use around you.

do you have android or iphone? i can recommend an app to scan all the wifi and you can then find a channel with less noise on it.

I've a HTC Ten (Android).Thanks for so much for your advice.

I utilised the wifi analyzer app which gives a peak on the reverse parabola at channel 11 which is the auto setting on the Virgin Media Hub @ 192.168.1.0 with a range within the parabola from channel 9 to channel 13?

Should I try alternate channels within this range?

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    I utilised the wifi analyzer app which gives a peak on the reverse parabola at channel 11 which is the auto setting on the Virgin Media Hub @ 192.168.1.0 with a range within the parabola from channel 9 to channel 13?

Should I try alternate channels within this range?

you should have an option to select the eye icon and select channel rating, it should give you a rating of the best channel to try.

Advertisement