Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charge for booking in appointment

Options
  • 16-05-2017 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Was with GP today for my booking in appointment (early days but very, very excited!) and I was charged for the visit.
    Doc saw it on the screen and told me to go back to reception as I shouldn't have been charged. Receptionist said i wasn't eligible for free visit. I definitely dont remember paying for any maternity related appointments for baby no.1.
    Have the rules changed in the last 18 months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Congratulations!

Citizen's Info says you don't have to pay but some doctors still charge. Mine charged last year (first appointment, my miscarriage started and I was STILL charged!). Needless to say I changed GP for this pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Thank you Loveinapril. So there is no definite rule on this? Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but ya know yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

No, there is a rule, some GPs just don't adhere to it. It is covered by the maternity scheme as it is a maternity appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

My appt to confirm pregnancy and get referred to hospital was charged.

Everything free since then under combined care / public.

Think it depends on Gp.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

No I wasn't charged anything as it was part of the combined care. Paid for the bloods alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

I've been charged for the initial visit to confirm the pregnancy and be referred to the hospital but nothing thereafter for both mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

First visit should be free along with another 5 visits

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_services/women_s_health/maternity_and_infant_welfare_services.html

If you have a significant illness, you may be granted an additional 5 visits. Hospital visits are not counted towards the above 6 free visits. So it's pretty clear that the first visit should be free, theoretically towards the end if you were visiting more often, you could be charged.

I would chase it up to be honest, if the doc said you shouldn't be charged, it wasn't up to the receptionist to take it upon themselves to charge you IMHO. I know you say it's not a big deal in the scheme of things, but it's probably €50/60 and they are probably wrongly charging all pregnant women.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

heldel00 wrote: »
    Thank you Loveinapril. So there is no definite rule on this? Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but ya know yourself!

There is a rule. All maternity related visits are covered.

Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Thank you all for the replies. I didn't get bloods or anything like that done. Pee in a cup and signed a form. Feck it I will chase them up on it. Better in my back pocket than theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I wasn't charged for mine this time, but I was the last two times. I don't know was it a mistake the other two times, or a bit of arm chancing, and I knew no better! I used only one or two visits on my last pregnancy, so I thought this time that he didn't charge because he knew I wouldn't be using my other visits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was charged for the 1st visit on all 4, 3 different GPs

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I was charged for the 1st visit on all 4, 3 different GPs

Is there something to this that involves the 6 Gp visits cos while I was charged the first time for confirming the pg, I still have 6 free visits. When people were not charged, was that considered one of the six?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

73trix wrote: »
    Is there something to this that involves the 6 Gp visits cos while I was charged the first time for confirming the pg, I still have 6 free visits. When people were not charged, was that considered one of the six?

Yes I would imagine if you're not charged for the first, it counts as one of your 6 free visits. I have only been to the doctor 3 times this pregnancy including the first visit and hopefully won't need to go again. You only need to see a doctor every 4 weeks, and bear in mind hospital visits are separate so unless you have a troublesome pregnancy, chances are you won't even need the 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

On my first pregnancy I was charged.....biggest waste of ?50. Doctor did nothing and I mean nothing....literally said congrats and a doom and gloom speech how 1/4 will miscarry!!
    This time round I never bothered going to gp at all ;)
    Just booked in straight with the hospital :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

We got charged, complained to HSE, and HSE said they are entitled to charge.

1st appointment was ridiculous, basically gp said it was too early to confirm using a urine test, and proceeded to get the nurse to do a bloo test. 75 euro for 5 mins with nurse, 1 min with gp.

The following appointments are nothing too, free but simply a 'how are you', bp, and get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Lumina wrote: »
    We got charged, complained to HSE, and HSE said they are entitled to charge.

1st appointment was ridiculous, basically gp said it was too early to confirm using a urine test, and proceeded to get the nurse to do a bloo test. 75 euro for 5 mins with nurse, 1 min with gp.

The following appointments are nothing too, free but simply a 'how are you', bp, and get lost.
    I had a similar experience but made the mistake of asking about how to handle sinys difficulties while pregnant (longstsanding issue for me).

"That'll be €60 thank you" because i adked that question. I took issue and the gp was not for turning. That question brought me into the normal line of medicine as she felt it wasn't pregnancy related. I was absolutely livid!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

I wasn't charged for my first GP visit.

I'm living abroad and every time I'm home I go to see my GP once or twice - usually at the start and end of my stay. I've been sick for a lot of the pregnancy and haven't been counting how many times I've been in. I mentioned it to the GP the last day and she told me not to worry and to come when I wanted that she wouldn't be charging for any visits.

She is also super thorough and will spend time answering questions and giving advice. Maybe it depends on the individual doctor?

Call me Al wrote: »
    I had a similar experience but made the mistake of asking about how to handle sinys difficulties while pregnant (longstsanding issue for me).

"That'll be €60 thank you" because i adked that question. I took issue and the gp was not for turning. That question brought me into the normal line of medicine as she felt it wasn't pregnancy related. I was absolutely livid!

They are shocking stories! :confused: I get my urine checked, fundus checked, blood pressure taken and get the doppler for fetal heart beat ....at EVERY apt. I would have no hesitation asking any other preg related query while there and I have done so. Eh...time to change GP??

Advertisement