Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do these trees look ok?

Options
  • 16-05-2017 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I bought these trees a few weeks back.
    I repotted them using compost
    They dont seem to be doing too well though, there is lots of dying leaves on both.
    I have been watering them but they seem dry if I am honest.

Any ideas what else could be wrong ?

wh1pft.jpg
    n3omtu.jpg
    qyb72t.jpg
    303ebh3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Do I see some bare roots in the first photo ?
    Some potting compost contains a lot of peat and it dries out really quickly.
    Maybe also give them some feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

yes, I've since added more compost, the original fill seems to have steeled below the level of the original potting soil.

should I add something else to keep it from drying out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Potting compost isn't really suitable for trees, you need something with soil in it - John Innes compost. The pots appear to be not moist enough - a mulch of gravel would help. Also stand the pots in a container while you water them and wait for the water to be soaked back up - when the compost is dry the water just goes straight through, it is pretty difficult to re-soak compost once it has dried out, another reason for a soil mix.

Is it a ficus? They are indoor trees, and a bit temperamental. They will drop their leaves for any reason at all.

no, they are golden privet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

If dehydration is the problem then
    As looksee mentions put on a mulch to aid water retention.
    But you really need a large tray underneath the pot. When tray empty of water refill tray (don't water pot from the top unless about to feed).
    That way water always available to the plant.

• Advertisement

thanks folks,

I changed them to a 50/50 mix soil and compost which I hope will help

Does anyone know where I would get a tray that large Homebase dont have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I would get a tray that large Homebase dont have it.
    How large?

Extra large cat litter tray?

http://www.petstop.ie/cat-products/cat-litter-cat-litter-trays/plastic-cat-litter-pan
    57 x 43.5 x 17.5cm

Lumen wrote: »
    How large?

Extra large cat litter tray?

http://www.petstop.ie/cat-products/cat-litter-cat-litter-trays/plastic-cat-litter-pan
    57 x 43.5 x 17.5cm

yes we need to know the diameter of bottom of pot to help.
    Would be looking for about an inch extra all round and plastic, but the tray should not be more than an inch or two deep as you could drown the roots at the bottom of the pot.

quick google and found this monster, but there are many more out there in square and circular shape, various colors and sizes.

9383_3113_large.jpg

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/square-garden-tray/large-trays

You can get trays to go under pots - even quite big ones - from garden centres and diy shops - Woodies have some but i am not sure what size the largest is. I have used large old dinner plates before now, they only keep a small amount of water so the roots are less likely to drown. I don't think privet would need to be constantly wet, they are hardy yokes. During the winter or in a long wet spell I would remove the tray/plate.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks. They are half barrels So I am guessing about 60cm diameter. I have not yet drilled the bottoms although there are some holes in it as they are a bit old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Woodies do large pot trays (or at least the one in Navan does)

I've not had a chance to buy the trays yet, and I've been doing my best to keep the soil moist, but jaysus, its taking some amount of water !

Yesterday I ran the hose in the pots in 3 separate holes I dug. The soil today was practically bone dry again.

I am worried I'll drown them so how do I know when enough water is enough ?

You will not drown them so long as the drainage holes are open. What does tend to happen though is that when you run water on them and the compost is dry the water runs straight through rather than wetting the soil/compost. This is why you need the tray to keep some water under the plant - in dry weather anyway. Once the soil is damp it is much easier to water them and the water will be absorbed rather than run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Privet is a famously greedy plant. All those leaves! And every one is evaporating water, all the time. So you can see why they dry out so fast.
    I honestly think that maintaining privets in a pot will be an uphill struggle. They'd probably be happier in the open ground where the roots can search for water deep down and get their minerals from the soil. And you can clip them hard, if you want to keep size and shape.

That said, they are beautiful and I wish you all good luck with them.

Advertisement