Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property-tycoon-says-generation-needs-start-saving.

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I happen to know 2 guys. I know them through different connections but it turns out the are both mid 50s in age. The thing is one rents from the other! One bought the house in his 20s. It is long paid off. It is in a number of units. The other is paying 1k a month for a quite small 1 bed flat. Who's shoes would you rather be in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Villa05

Just wondering on your thoughts on this. What, in your opinion, is the agenda behind the non-provision of social housing?

My 2 cents

Not building because increasing supply would effect house prices which would negatively effect bank share price.

The housing crisis is the collateral damage of protecting the banks.

<mod snip: please take your political feelings to a politics forum>

The Australian market is something else, apartments in Melbourne or Sydney go for millions and millions, it's madness.

Of course it totally depends on where you live, I moved to New Plymouth 6 years ago and we're already building our second house, it's reasonably affordable and easy. Never would have done that in Dublin because Irish planning is a cluster****, never mind financing. It's not always just about the money

This is just a sounding from a crazy property market. The banks in Australia have an average of 40% of their entire mortgage stock as interest only loans.
    Westpac released info on budget day (so it wouldnt get the headlines probably) that 50% of their loan book are interest only and 46% of half year revenue is from interest only loans.

12:59pm on 9 May 2017 update on this link: http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets-live/markets-live-eerie-calm-descends-20170508-gw0j5d.html

A storm is coming. I can see it ruin Australia for a decade.

Advertisement