Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are The War on Drugs currently the best band around? - Yes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

A great album by all accounts, 'An Ocean...' is absolutely brilliant but there is something about Adam's vocals that don't appeal to me overall. 'Brothers' is a one of my favorites by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It's nice. Hardly the best band around though. Derivative easy listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Always thought they were fairly boring myself and I gave them plenty of chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

I agree, easily the best band around at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Lost in a Dream is still my go to album to listen to even after 3 years. As regards the new single "Thinking of a place" it is 11 minutes of gorgeousness.

:D

• Advertisement

Lost in a Dream is still my go to album to listen to even after 3 years. As regards the new single "Thinking of a place" it is 11 minutes of gorgeousness.

Very hard to argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dylar

Dylar wrote: »

I can't play that - but what's wrong with being white?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dylar

PhuckHugh wrote: »

It's not referring to their complexion or race if that's what you mean :rolleyes:

"War on Drugs, suck my c**k,
    War On Drugs, beer commercial rock"

It's a tongue in cheek song about them being a middle of the road, bland, boring, commercial rock band :D That's what the 'whitest band in the world' is referring to, implying that they are dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

• Advertisement

New song from the album released today: Strangest thing:

Also Holding On was released a few weeks ago:

From the three songs released it is sounding like album of the year.
    I am very tempted to go see them in the UK :o

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

One of the greatest - yes!

I've revised my opinion over the last few months and on second thoughts, I deffo think they are currently the best band around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

The album is god damn masterpiece. I'm crying into my keyboard at work here.

Have been listening to the album non stop since Thursday and i have to say that i have the horn every time I listen to it. I cannot fault one track on it. Cannot wait to see them in Manchester in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Following in the vein of human reproductive organs, I haven’t been this excited since my first erection.
    Got the album last week. Just keeps getting better and better with every listen. Thought Strangest Thing was “just nice” on first listen. Now I adore it. Thinking of a Place is adorable. They are all fab.
    Same as a previous poster indicated, I can just keep going back to Lost in a Dream over and over again. Never get sick of it. And I haven’t even listened to their first 2 albums yet. Exciting times ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i dont get how sounding 80s is good in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

maccored wrote: »

Then what sounds good to you in 2017??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

maccored wrote: »

Maybe the bands from the 80's might be good :confused:

I have the new record playing right now. I've tried, I've really tried, but I'm sorry lads but I just, still, think TWOD are really, really boring.

They just sound so middle of the road and are lucky enough to exist at a time when this type of sound is bizarrely hip again. The big eighties drum sound, the stadium rocky guitars, cheesy piano lines, and your man's voice that never seems to change in any way on any song. I'll give it another couple of spins, just to be sure - the best albums are the ones you hate at first. But I'm doubtful. This is the third album of theirs I've spent time with and that soporific feeling that I get when I listen to them hasn't changed.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    I have the new record playing right now. I've tried, I've really tried, but I'm sorry lads but I just, still, think TWOD are really, really boring.

They just sound so middle of the road and are lucky enough to exist at a time when this type of sound is bizarrely hip again. The big eighties drum sound, the stadium rocky guitars, cheesy piano lines, and your man's voice that never seems to change in any way on any song. I'll give it another couple of spins, just to be sure - the best albums are the ones you hate at first. But I'm doubtful. This is the third album of theirs I've spent time with and that soporific feeling that I get when I listen to them hasn't changed.

Give us a few examples of what you deem to be good music.

Just so you can then crap all over what I like, because I've given my subjective opinion on something you like?

That's such a lame rebuttal to what I said. Are you five? - Yeah, but, what do you like then, huh, huh?

I promise I won't. No musical snobbery with me. I'm open to all types of music, well nearly all types - From Radiohead to Iron Maiden to Lady Gaga. Couldn't criticise someone's choice of music. I genuinely feel that if you give an album enough attention and perseverance, that you can come to like most albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭mosstin

I am of the very same opinion. I called them Foreigner for hipsters which didn't go down well with some fans. I don't get them at all and, from descriptions of their music, it sounds like it should be my thing. It isn't.

I fucking hate this reaction to criticism of someone's preferred music. Why should they? The thread is about TWOD, the poster has given their opinion on them so why the need to share what they deem to be good music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭mosstin

I promise I won't. No musical snobbery with me. I'm open to all types of music, well nearly all types - From Radiohead to Iron Maiden to Lady Gaga. Couldn't criticise someone's choice of music. I genuinely feel that if you give an album enough attention and perseverance, that you can come to like most albums.

At what point do you think 'This is ****, nothing to see here'? Just curious, like. If an album needs that much attention, perhaps you're forcing yourself to like it because it's received good reviews, you enjoyed their earlier records etc. Bands often fail to deliver. It's ok not to love everything a band releases.

It's ok to be wrong, bro... You can't be right all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

It's ok to be wrong, bro... You can't be right all the time.

I really like them, the Mrs. really hates them :D Saw them live in Edinburgh couple of years back, the sound was ****e, so would love to see them in a decent venue with proper acoustics. Must buy the new album too - have all the rest: Lost in the Dream is phenomenal.

Advertisement