Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge for deer.

Options
  • 17-05-2017 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Finding it hard to source a cola fridge for the season thinking of just buying a normal fridge and cutting the deer into joints and putting them into that fridge to age. anyone on here use that method.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RKMG

Yep thats what I do as I haven't got my hands on a coca cola fridge yet! I quarter the animal in the field, place the joints into mutton cloth and I put them into a normal fridge before breaking them down! Its by no means ideal but has done the trick so far although I would like to get a proper coca cola fridge in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

RKMG wrote: »
    Yep thats what I do as I haven't got my hands on a coca cola fridge yet! I quarter the animal in the field, place the joints into mutton cloth and I put them into a normal fridge before breaking them down! Its by no means ideal but has done the trick so far although I would like to get a proper coca cola fridge in the near future

Instead of the mutton cloth would not put a small fan in the fridge to keep the air flow moving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

If you Google a few catering supply shops you'd be surprised how much a stainless steal cabinet fridge (400L) actually costs - €7- 800 .00.
    Okay it's more than a secound hand coke fridge - with maybe a dubious back ground, unknown black moulds and spores and probably little chance of a decent service, but compared to a large American style fridge it's good value and is perfect for hanging, then storing all sorts all year round.

Just a thought....

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭paddatjie

I'd say no problem cutting deer into smaller sections and then hanging. Main difference I see between normal fridge and a commercial one or drinks display fridge, apart from size, is that a normal fridge generally does not have a fan circulating air which is important. You could always put one in. Also drinks fridge has a glass door which I imagine is not very efficient. Given a choice I'd go for a commercial fridge. Had a friend weld a frame together out of box iron that I put in the fridge which works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RKMG

Hunter456 wrote: »

Instead of the mutton cloth would not put  a small fan in the fridge to keep the air flow moving
    I normally skin and quarter the animal in the field so the mutton cloth is generally used to keep the meat as clean as possible. A little fan though would be a very good idea. I generally don't leave the meat too long before butchering anyway as my set up isn't ideal but hopefully will try sort a drinks fridge this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

I normally skin and quarter the animal in the field so the mutton cloth is generally used to keep the meat as clean as possible. A little fan though would be a very good idea. I generally don't leave the meat too long before butchering anyway as my set up isn't ideal but hopefully will try sort a drinks fridge this year

at least it will keep the air flow moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Don't have one myself I don't need one but I was told from a friend who shoots em that the best place to look or ask is any stores that are liquidation stores.
    And even put your name down to the owner or manager for a tip on a fridge coming in or one near by.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Stick a few WANTED ads in donedeal.ie ,craigslist,or your local area FB buy,sell and swop pages?Be amazed as to what turns up.
    Boom! There ya go two fridges for sale.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cateringfittings-for-sale/fridge-potato-peeler-grilled-branmarie-oven-fry/15148198

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shooter Cotter

Hunter456 wrote: »
    Finding it hard to source a cola fridge for the season thinking of just buying a normal fridge and cutting the deer into joints and putting them into that fridge to age. anyone on here use that method.

Hi hunter456. I have a fridge for sale it's the same size as a coke a cola fridge put its in white.. Had 3 down to 1 now.. Pm me if you want to find out more. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Hi hunter456. I have a fridge for sale it's the same size as a coke a cola fridge put its in white.. Had 3 down to 1 now.. Pm me if you want to find out more. Thanks

Do you have a pic and price sick it up they usually go fairly quick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭kellyvince

Lads I sold a small coldroom 5ft x4ft for €600 it would hold 4 fallow . If he keep an eye on donedeal and Facebook shooting pages you'll come on them no bother. But I'll check work to see if we have any coke fridges that I might move on . There all working 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Used a normal tall fridge for years, got a cola type one two years ago and thinking of going back to the original type. I like to skin deer the day they are shot but the cola type fridge I find dry's out the meat too much if I hang it skin off. I always opened the door every day to 'change' the air and never had any problems with mould. Longest I would normally hang a carcass would be 8-10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

im using drinks fridges for years with no issues at all.. if you look up donedeal or adverts ad get yourself a nice larder fridge it would do you fine for small deer.. just make sure and put a clasp on the door to keep it closed here is the one on my doors 
    http://www.adverts.ie/fridges/tall-fridge/12989095

Advertisement