Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ave. wait time for maternity benefit

Options
  • 17-05-2017 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

I started maternity leave 2 weeks ago. According to a press release on the 11th of may, there is a 3-4 week delay in processing applications. A user on another forum received an email stating their wait time is 6-8 weeks.
    Can anyone tell me how much of a delay they actually experienced?
    I really can't get over the fact that this has happened. Unfortunately those affected are too busy with newborns to make a big song and dance about the situation.
    How are we supposed to cope with the additional expense a newborn brings, not to mention our regular bills that still need to be paid? Essentially we are all €1000 down each month. We have enough to worry about without this added stress.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

I applied at whatever the limit was...24 weeks or so. Started benefit 1 May and have been paid each Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Same - I applied at 24 weeks and there was a little delay before I got the letter confirming I was all set-up - but it was still sorted well before I started leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I applied early April, when I was around 30 weeks. I didn't want to apply any earlier, because I had heard from a couple of people that if I applied too early they'd send back the form. I got a letter a week later telling me my application was received, but have heard nothing since. I'm due to start mat leave in 2 more weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mrs Doyle

Applied end march (31 weeks),should have got it 3 weeks ago,nothing yet!
    I think it's the fact we weren't even notified there was a delay is poor form...but particularly bad if you are very dependent on it.

Mrs Doyle wrote: »
    I think it's the fact we weren't even notified there was a delay is poor form...but particularly bad if you are very dependent on it.

It seems to be a total lottery! I applied early April (I was about 31 weeks), got a text a week later to say my application had been received.
    Last week I got a letter to say my application had been approved, which apparently will mean the money should go into the bank next mon when my mat leave starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I applied at just before 30 weeks, and I got a text confirming receipt a week later and the letter confirming payment details about 2 weeks after.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

OP here. I started my maternity leave on April 27th. Got a letter dated May 25th saying application was accepted and back paid maternity benefit went into my account today.
    Hopefully they are catching up on applications and others don't have quite so long a wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Clashmore

They seem to be catching up with themselves at least for some. I applied end of March, started Maternity Leave today (29th May). Got my letter las Thursday 25th, money in my account today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Clashmore wrote: »
    They seem to be catching up with themselves at least for some. I applied end of March, started Maternity Leave today (29th May). Got my letter las Thursday 25th, money in my account today.
    Just got my forms. Nearly 24wks. I'm wondering about the claim for additional children as this is #2. Is this only for people not working? It doesn't specify.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

73trix wrote: »
    Just got my forms. Nearly 24wks. I'm wondering about the claim for additional children as this is #2. Is this only for people not working? It doesn't specify.

73trix I printed mine off.....tried to fill it out and gave up!!
    I get my normal wages so I presume I don't claim for additional children......all very confusing!
    We don't get doctor to sign it if we are employed do we?

• Advertisement

73trix wrote: »

I filled in my 2 sons detsils, just because it wasn't very clear! I knew it was a waste of ink at the time though! I think it's only for if you'll get a top up for them, if your household income is low.

Millem wrote: »
    73trix I printed mine off.....tried to fill it out and gave up!!
    I get my normal wages so I presume I don't claim for additional children......all very confusing!
    We don't get doctor to sign it if we are employed do we?

Nope, you don't! Your employer might not realise this yet though, because it's a new form. Mine sent it back to me and told me it was incomplete. I rang Donegal though, and they confirmed you don't need it signed

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

Second baby for me as well and I called the Office to check about the "claim for additional children." I work full time and they didn't ask about that but told me to definitely fill in the details and they will check if it applies in any way, so that's what i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mrs Doyle

Mrs Doyle wrote: »
    In the end got paid-5 weeks late.

Advertisement