Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charleville Half Marathon 2017

Options
  • 17-05-2017 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

Registration is open now.

Special early bird price that finishes today...worked out at 31.80 including booking fee.

Race site

Register here

Goes up by a fiver until July 12th when it goes up again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'm in for this, and so is the Mrs. Plenty of others I know of too. Never ran it before - anyone have any info about the course? Is it as fast and flat as claimed (if it is in fact claimed - could be mixing up with somewhere else!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's very flat. A small bridge nearly mile 11/12 or so, but overall, an excellent PB course. My previous PB before this was 2:04. I got 1:56 here (granted that was after another marathon training session), but I could have done faster as I only set out for sub 2. The weather was ideal too on the day which help. None of that pesky heat!

It's well worth doing, very well organised, and a nice spread afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Aiming to do this as my target race for the rest of the year.

Charleville to Kilmallock is very flat straight stretch of road with one bridge about 2 mile outside of Charleville, you go over and back, aside from that it is as flat as advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Murph_D wrote: »
    I'm in for this, and so is the Mrs. Plenty of others I know of too. Never ran it before - anyone have any info about the course? Is it as fast and flat as claimed (if it is in fact claimed - could be mixing up with somewhere else!)

It really is as fast/flat as claimed. An absolute cracker of a course, D.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

It really is as fast/flat as claimed. An absolute cracker of a course, D.

It is indeed, just that bridge mentioned earlier & that's pretty much it for hills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Likely to be doing the DCM so probably will do this as a 'build up' , Is the start area near the Bus Stop? :) Bus Eireann Bus stop from Limerick ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Likely to be doing the DCM so probably will do this as a 'build up' , Is the start area near the Bus Stop? :) Bus Eireann Bus stop from Limerick ? :)

Yes, it's sort of at the back of the buildings the bus stops at. I think the shortest way there is to walk through the Dunne's stores laneway and then exit downstairs through the car park. That leaves you 100m or so from the start line/registration area. My knowledge of the town is all from driving, but it's very close to that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Murph_D wrote: »

Here's my Garmin trace from last year:

Charleville HM 2016

Flat enough.

Training going well, starting to think about the actual race. Any news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Would it be an idea to make this a 20 miler for the DCM ? 3 or 4 miles gentle before ? 2 or 3 after ? . How then would I 'pace ' the H-M ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

I'm no longer running this due to injury.

I just cancelled a night's stay in Innisfree B&B if anyone is looking for accommodation. I know I had trouble finding somewhere when I booked it back at the start of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

What's this course like regards shelter from wind etc?
    Looks like going to be a windy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Anybody know what they do at water stations? Bottles or cups? Any lucozade? Not much info on the official website.

Never mind, had another look and answered my own question.... small bottles of water :D

Won't be too windy according to this forecast. Early yet of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

So, looks like I will be leaving Sunday morning from Dublin. If anyone is doing likewise, a car share may suit. PM me if anyone is thinking about a 6am departure time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Don't mind the wind as of now there's 97% humidity forecast...lets hope it's as usual and they get it wrong

kookiebrew wrote:
    Don't mind the wind as of now there's 97% humidity forecast...lets hope it's as usual and they get it wrong

Won't be too bad if it's raining though.

What's this course like regards shelter from wind etc? Looks like going to be a windy one.

I wouldn't say it's sheltered. It depends on the wind direction. It's more or less and out and back course with a loop round Kilmallock so the wind should balance out.

Won't be too bad if it's raining though.

No rain forecast YET... 15 degrees, 25kmph winds, 97% humidity... That's the am forecast on weather forecast dot com...

kookiebrew wrote: »
    No rain forecast YET... 15 degrees, 25kmph winds, 97% humidity... That's the am forecast on weather forecast dot com...

Yuck... warm and humid... :eek:

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    Yuck... warm and humid... :eek:

The worst.. I'd nearly take sideways hail over it :)

kookiebrew wrote:

This is Ireland. I'd look out the window on the morning of the race and I still wouldn't trust what I saw. FWIW the weather channel app is saying 16 deg, showers, 11kph winds WNW. Yr.no is saying 9 degrees, rain and 2m/s wind. Weather underground is saying 12 deg at 10am with showers 5mph winds.

This is Ireland. I'd look out the window on the morning of the race and I still wouldn't trust what I saw. FWIW the weather channel app is saying 16 deg, showers, 11kph winds WNW. Yr.no is saying 9 degrees, rain and 2m/s wind. Weather underground is saying 12 deg at 10am with showers 5mph winds.

Haha ain't that the truth.. Weather forecast changes 3 times a day. Still won't stop me checking between now and Sunday morning though.

On another note, how flat it is. Looked at a few profiles on strava and final few miles seem uphill.

kookiebrew wrote:
    On another note, how flat it is. Looked at a few profiles on strava and final few miles seem uphill.

Not so much uphill, but there is a small bit of a drag for the last 2 miles. The only real "hill" is the railway bridge. Well that and about 200m when you turn at the creamery towards the finish. But it feels worse than it is because you run it with tired legs. Anyway you run down these at the start.

Not so much uphill, but there is a small bit of a drag for the last 2 miles. The only real "hill" is the railway bridge. Well that and about 200m when you turn at the creamery towards the finish. But it feels worse than it is because you run it with tired legs. Anyway you run down these at the start.

Thanks for that... Gotta try and keep a bit for the finish so

Can I have 9 degrees please with maybe a sprinkling of light drizzle... :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

@Sixpack's little hat.. sorry to hear you are not able to run due to injury..

Did you give you're entry away?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

This looks ok for Sun next, bit on the chilly side for me but lots of other people prefer that.

427876.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

opus wrote: »
    This looks ok for Sun next, bit on the chilly side for me but lots of other people prefer that.

427876.png

Don't like the heat, but 5C would be a shock to the system all the same!
    Will bring my long sleeve top and compression socks just in case.

Not really prepped for this one but will give it a go anyhow. My PB is a soft 1:36 (10mile PB is 67:12 this year) so if I keep an even pace I would hope to knock a couple of minutes off.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Advertisement