Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner tips and advice for new Bonsai owner

Options
  • 17-05-2017 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭

Hello all

Never thought i'd be posting in the gardening forum but here i am, currently growing chilis in my apartment and over the weekend i bought myself a Bonsai tree which I have wanted for a long time :)

I am not quite sure exactly what type it is but from what i can see online i think it's either a Chinese/Japanese elm. Please correct me if i'm wrong

k6sT6o5.jpg

I have placed it on a window sill to get light and have been watering it every second day. The clay seems to really dry out quick on it. Yesterday i tried the immersion technique for watering it so perhaps this will do a better job but there seems to be conflicting opinions on whether this is actually a good method for watering Bonsai at all.

Also since i bought it a few of the leaves have begun to yellow, i read this can happen for a number of reasons such as: being moved to a new location, needs to adapt to new room temperature, being under-watered, leaves need more moisture. Any advice on this would be great as i don't want anything to happen to it, especially as I've only had it a few days :o

I have ordered a proper Bonsai pruning scissors, coco brush and bonsai plant feed online as well as a Bonsai for beginners book too so hopefully that will help. It currently looks a little scraggly so hopefully i can tidy it up a little once all the bits arrive, i have an idea of the shape i'd like it to take so i'm hoping the book can show me how to prune and train it to take shape over time.

Would love to get any advice any Bonsai owners have or tips you can recommend for a newbie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Hi,
    Congratulation on your new Bonsai. I've only started mine today with Japanese Maple :)

Here's a very useful article about Chinese Elm bonsai care:
    https://www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/chinese-elm

Don't get ripped of on bonsai accessories and feed. Most of the fertilisers/feed will do.
    In time you'll learn to understand the needs of your bonsai and respond to them appropriately.

Best of luck with your Bonsai. It looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

'Magic wrote:
    =);103543049']Hi,
    Congratulation on your new Bonsai. I've only started mine today with Japanese Maple :)

Here's a very useful article about Chinese Elm bonsai care:
    https://www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/chinese-elm

Don't get ripped of on bonsai accessories and feed. Most of the fertilisers/feed will do.
    In time you'll learn to understand the needs of your bonsai and respond to them appropriately.

Best of luck with your Bonsai. It looks great.

Hi Magic

Thanks for sharing the link, i'll be sure to give it a proper read through! :)

Maybe i'm being overly cautious, i would just hate for it to die on me! And i'm a little worried since it has definitely yellowed a little since i bought it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

How much light does it get?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Don't panic and don't overdo!
    Yellowing leafs can mean a lot of things but for now just focus on getting the right conditions and tree should settle in just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

How much light does it get?

It sits on the sill of a south facing window so plenty of sunlight in the mornings but it can get quite dark in the evenings. Unfortunately my apartment doesn't have a nice sunny north facing window.
    'Magic wrote:
    =);103543453']Don't panic and don't overdo!
    Yellowing leafs can mean a lot of things but for now just focus on getting the right conditions and tree should settle in just fine.

Ok, trying not to! Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I browsed the link with great interest and garden-lust! However I will not be venturing into bonsai as I am too aware of the need for a (competent) bonsai sitter if I go away for a few days. Its bad enough organising my cats!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭adr1984

Hi. Same with me always wanted a bonsai tree and today I picked one up at a garden center near by. From what I gathered its a Magnolia Stellata Bonsai tree. I'm good enough with plants and trees and gardening in general so fingers crossed that my project blooms for years to come. If it is any help here is a website that seems very helpful and full of information http://www.bonsaitreegardener.net/

Advertisement