Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accepting 2 Primary School Offers?

Options
  • 17-05-2017 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I would appreciate any advice on the following situation. I've also posted elsewhere as wasn't sure which was the most appropriate forum.

Our daughter has been offered a great school to start primary this September 2017 which we accepted months ago. However, now there is a chance we could be moving slightly out of the catchment of this school prior to September.

A couple of days ago we received another offer of a primary school that would be close to the house we may be moving to.

Although we would prefer the first school I am worried we might not be eligible anymore if we move. Is it possible to accept the offer of this second school aswell just for maybe 2 weeks until we are sure if we are making the move or not? I understand we are fortunate to have the choice and we would be holding an extra spot which could be seen as selfish. But I don't want to say no to the second school and then also lose the place in the first of we do move! We would be in a very unfortunate position then.

So basically, are we able to accept this second place or is there some sort of system like POD or whatever that can tell the schools we have already accepted a place elsewhere?

Please no judgement... Just looking for objective answer. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Surely if you've been accepted to the first school they can't take that back just because you'll be moving

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

mordeith wrote: »
    Surely if you've been accepted to the first school they can't take that back just because you'll be moving

Thanks. But If you move out of the catchment prior to commencing they can offer your place to someone in the catchment. It's in their enrolment policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Thanks. But If you move out of the catchment prior to commencing they can offer your place to someone in the catchment. It's in their enrolment policy.

AFAIK there is no central database of school offers, so I can't see the two schools knowing about the competing acceptances

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

mordeith wrote: »
    AFAIK there is no central database of school offers, so I can't see the two schools knowing about the competing acceptances

Thanks very much for this! I think we will just accept the second offer and then in 2 weeks when we know if we are moving we will ring whichever school we have to decline and let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

no there no no such data base and a short while is no big deal but it would be a bit of a ****ty thing to do to let it go too long as you are holding a place that someone else might be really grateful to get.
    also this is the time of year that schools start ordering books etc for students next year so id say you should make you mind up ASAP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement