Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about mature entry into medicine

Options
  • 17-05-2017 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello there I'm twenty two and I have the following qualifications:
    94% Distinction in Anatomy and Physiology QQI Level 5
    Phlebotomy and advanced phlebotomy and cannulation OCN Level 3 certificate and license
    I'm currently studying post leaving cert Pre-university Science which in the end gives me 400 CAO points.

I've never done my leaving cert since I dropped out of secondary school for several reasons mainly one was to do with my mild Asperger syndrome since back then. But after awhile I decided I wanted to do something with my life and when I was young I have a passion for medical science and medicine in general. My family are all in the medical field and I started to grow a passion from it through my father. Unfortunate for me though I came out "special" I mean I guess being a aspie I can retain a lot of information just as anyone else.

My main question here is, Is it possible for me to get into medicine through my pre-university science if I get my 400 CAO points which will combine with the HPAT.

Or should I go back and study for the regular leaving cert?

Or should I go ahead and try out an access program after pre-university science and then get into medicine as a mature student?

As I mentioned I love anything to do with medical science and medicine and I know how competitive it is and challenging but I always love a challenge. And I'm not one to give up easily even if sometimes we dont get in I dont think I'd ever let that ruin my dreams of becoming a junior doctor.

All your replies mean greatly to benefit me.
    Apologies if I posted this in the wrong forum section.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

I think you're probably better off contacting the colleges themselves. They should be able to tell you the best way to go about it- 400 points seems a little on the low side and then there's the minimum subject requirements as well. There's information for mature applicants on the CAO website if you're planning on waiting until next year, but I would definitely recommend contacting the college(s) you're interested in applying to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lightspeed22

Thanks for the reply. I just contacted the Educational guidance from the Trinity Access Programme contact list through email, I told them about my situation. I'll see what they have to say. No matter what I heard students who dropped out of secondary school manage to get into medicine and dental science through Post leaving cert and trinity access programme. Then again I dont mind re-taking the general leaving cert. or taking on another course in trinity and using my bachelors if I was rewarded one to get into medicine that way. Either or I see RCSI have an access programme for those who have a disability or disadvantage to get in as a mature student.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

There are a certain amount of places. A very small number are reserved for access students, another small number for mature students, and another small number for prequalified applicants (i.e with lower level qualifications), another small number for foreign, etc etc. Overall, less than 5% across all these groups in some cases. That is a small number are of places for a lot of people looking to get in via that channel.

The largest number of places is assigned to the CAO route.

Go the leaving cert route.

Also, are you diagnosed as being on the spectrum? I have an autistic child and never heard of mild aspergers under DSM-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lightspeed22

Thank you for the reply, and thank you for giving me an insight onto what I might have to do in the future to get into medicine. It seems that it is all focused on the main leaving cert yet it was an unfortunate time and choice of secondary school I had to be placed in specially with my aspeger syndrome. I had to go to speech and language therapy and after awhile got CBT, Psychiatry done when I was a child then in the end I was diagnosed with having aspeger syndrome on a mild spectrum as in I'm not severely suffering from severe asperger or autism this was when I was still in primary school I got diagnosed. It conflicted with my education both in primary and secondary school due to how I felt psychologically aging wise. When I was in primary I felt like I was in playschool and when I was in secondary school it felt like I was in primary. And now since I'm older I can fully grasp a great focus and understanding of education that if I was studying for my leaving cert right now I'd know I'd get high points because for someone who wasn't able to study back then and can finally understand, focus and study I been studying so hard and have been getting distinctions and great references from tutors even my own medical doctor said I'm really good at understanding basic medicine since I research and studied quite abit of pharmacology and disorders along with my knowledge of medical terminology. He told me even though you didn't manage to do your leaving cert that I should not give up on my dream because even though I have aspergers it gives me a better advantage. I'm still waiting anyway for the email reply hopefully I'll get in on Monday from trinity college access programme.

Since I'm currently studying pre-uni science which is a QQI level 5 which grants me 400 CAO it also grants me a linked scheme for several university courses and I have a course in my mind if I cant get into medicine and that is undergrad Optometry at D.I.T. I was thinking if I have a bachelors in that it might give me an advantage into medicine. But if I still cant get into medicine even after that then maybe I was meant to pursue a doctorate in Optometry since its a health professional field that deals with a specialized treatment.

@myshirt Just to add onto what you said "never heard of mild aspergers under DSM-5. " I'm from the republic of Ireland so I'm not sure how Americans see the spectrum compared to the Irish since I see DSM-5 is an American Psychiatric Association. But yes I am diagnosed on the spectrum list from what the PHD's and MD's have been telling me.

***UPDATE***
    Apparently the Royal College of Surgeons are now allowing mature students without a leaving cert but with the right certificates to join. It says the following on there website under undergrad medicine:
    "Other European Examinations

For specific information on minimum entry requirements of European Examinations other than those listed above, please check out the Guideline Entry Requirements for EU/EFTA applicants other than the Leaving Certificate. " That is what it says on there requirements below the leaving cert and GCE. I wonder if they accept pre-university science level 5 Major QQI/FETAC Certificates if its based on science/maths in general.

Advertisement