Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job - is this normal?

• 17-05-2017 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going Anon for this to hopefully make myself unidentifiable.

I'm very unhappy and insecure in my job but can't decide whether leaving would be a mistake. I work in a very small software company, I was hired as an accounts admin. However, the job couldn't be more different to the job spec that was advertised.

I have sufficient experience in this area and am finishing my degree by night so I feel I am more than competent to do my tasks. I think a lot of the issue is based on the fact that I'm the only female in the whole company and I'm the youngest staff member by about 15 years.

I'm responsible for all reception duties, logging support tickets for our clients and general customer queries, all purchasing of goods including getting quotations from suppliers, processing of goods inwards and goods outwards, accounts payable and accounts receivable, and all general admin duties such as filing, scanning, photocopying, etc.
    I work a 9 hour day, 5 days a week for a measly €20.4k before tax. I feel that the workload is manageable but feel very underpaid, but not in a position to do anything about it as I've only been here 9 months.

My issue is with management. I report to the managing director. The purchasing/invoicing software has been set up so that any mistakes can't be rectified or deleted. So one wrong click while processing an invoice or an order, or a digit entered incorrectly, and nothing can be edited, its stuck that way.
    This is done for traceability purposes for the accounts, but it means that a couple of times a month I have to report my mistakes to the MD when I can't balance the month end due to my mistakes being saved. This makes me look incompetent and I'm convinced the man thinks I'm an idiot.

There is also a huge issue with communication. Just last week the sales department sent me an order.I processed the order as directed, and correctly, but the MD is convinced he told me not to go ahead with the order and gave out to me for not doing as I was told. This has also happened in other instances where I have not processed the order as directed by MD only to have the sales department then lose their cool at me for not doing the order when told.

There are also issues with the operations manager or sales team, who will guarantee a product to a client without checking availability which then leaves me under pressure to source products over night that are only available from China - in other words, there's no way we can do next day delivery.

I am so much younger than all my colleagues and MD that I don't feel comfortable raising these concerns - and at that, I feel I'd be told to get over it even if I did.

I feel used, stressed, undervalued, patronised and extremely tired and anxious. I want to leave but don't feel I'll get much better elsewhere...In general, most people are nice though most don't talk to me. There is no one being nasty or bullying me per se. I have one more year of college left and am afraid to leave in case I don't pick up anything or worse, a job even more stressful. I worked in customer service for 7 years while in college and am terrified to leave in case I have to go back to that kind of work.

Sorry for the essay - any advice appreciated. I have lots of more examples but don't want to ramble on. I just don't know if this is a normal work scenario or not.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

From your post you appear competent. Just a tip. Anytiing regarding processing orders from your MD, operations or otherwise... Get them to confirm it an email. Don't do anything u less you have email confirmation from them. That way you will always be able to back up your assertions and you are covered if they "change" theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have some idea of how you feel as I was in a similar work position in the past. The systems you have don't seem to be great in regards to placing orders in the fact that you can't make amendments easy.
    I would follow the advice of that you get an email for before you set up or cancel any order be it from the sales/operations or Md.

I would also speak to the Md in regards to the fact that the operations manager and the sales department are promising customer stock for the next day delivery with out checking the item is in stock. Let them know that this is going on so that not everything is your fault. Also you want to keep existing customers with the company. See if you can order y item once you have only x amount left in stock.

If things don't change my advice is to stay in the company a year and then start looking for another job. If you stay in a company a year you can say I am looking for a new job to gain more experince. I would not tell you next company what your earning now. You can contact the tax office and they can set you up with a new employer so you next employer does not know your current salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

given your workload and an insult of a wage id be looking elsewhere , sure most fast food employers pay way more and no responsibilities worth talking about . either this or lay out your difficulties and try to resolve them and demand a proper rate of pay , if not you could be stuck in a helpless rut for a long time . regardless to any advice you get ,only can change things yourself and bear in mind that there is plenty of jobs out their now so dont be afraid to walk , good luck with everything

My issue is with management

Someone told me once that one of the most important skills you can learn in business is how to manage your manager. You have to find a way to manage their expectations and their needs.

Ensuring everything is in writing is a good way to start. And as for the sales team making promises to customers that can't be kept, you have to bring this to your bosses attention. Sales people are goal orientated and tend to brush off logistics, then it becomes your problem. Make sure the problem is pushed back to them or they will continue.

Most accounting related software is set up so that data cannot be deleted, this is good and common practice for audit purposes. Errors are reversed and work is re-done. This will not change, just check and re-check before you save/enter.

While I agree the salary is terrible, it's the salary you accepted when you took the job and you say the workload is manageable.

There CAN be a tendency among small firms with tight profit margins to hire under experienced staff so they can save money. I doubt your boss thinks you're an idiot, e.g. out of how many PO's/Invoices would there be "a couple of mistakes a month".

Stick it out for as long as you can and the experience will be invaluable to you. If you can get at least a year under your belt you can start to look elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭stuboy01

on the data entered being uneditable...
    use Notepad for writing information and double check it there before entering into any system. Notepad is probably the most underrated programme on any machine.

Oh, for the work you're doing, you're underpaid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 Courtn2

Just to echo post 2 - in the case (and there will be cases) where you don't get an e-mail confirmation, send your understanding in an e-mail for anything likely to be questioned or open to interpretation.

there's absolutely nothing wrong with looking for clarification and/or stating your understanding for clarity.

In a lot of cases, people will make statements or agree to something when under pressure and convince themselves they stated otherwise when they have more time to focus/think - not necessarily malicious, just human nature when stressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Easier to get a job when you have a job. Tough it out, and try not to take any of it to heart and don't stress. Just relax and learn how to communicate effectively so you cover your ass, which is one of the most important skills you can develop in business. Remember, you're not making any decisions, so you can't be wrong as long as you show you were following instructions.

Advertisement