Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning traffic question

Options
  • 17-05-2017 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi,

so I know Galway traffic is awful, and it is never recommended to cross the city during rush hour. But...

What about leaving salthill at 7:30am??? At what time in the morning does the traffic start grinding to a halt?

For reference, from Salthill to junction 19 where N6 meets M6, Google maps says 15min without traffic, or 20min right now on a wednesday afternoon. So what could I expect at 7:30am on a wet weekday morning in winter?

Many thanks.
    --Hugh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rambunctious1

mcbert wrote: »
    What about leaving salthill at 7:30am??? At what time in the morning does the traffic start grinding to a halt?

So I do this commute from Knocknacarra. Generally if I leave before 8, it'll take about 20mins getting across to Parkmore. After 8, the traffic intensifies fairly quickly. This being Galway though, anything can cause disruption in the morning e.g. dead horse, council workers cutting grass verges etc... Also, the schools will be off soon, which makes this journey a breeze and you could leave a bit later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

mcbert wrote: »
    Hi,

so I know Galway traffic is awful, and it is never recommended to cross the city during rush hour. But...

For reference, from Salthill to junction 19 where N6 meets M6, Google maps says 15min without traffic, or 20min right now on a wednesday afternoon. So what could I expect at 7:30am on a wet weekday morning in winter?

Many thanks.
    --Hugh
    Sib leaves lower salthill around 7, stops for breakfast on the tuam road and is in balllyban for 7.45.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I generally find 8:10 to be the tipping point for morning traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

J o e wrote: »
    I generally find 8:10 to be the tipping point for morning traffic.

Yep, I used to commute west to east across the city and if I left before 8 it would take 20mins, but if I left at ten past - 45:mad: (when the schools were in).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I do pretty much exactly this commute, passing the aquarium at 7.30. Usually make it to Parkmore in 15 to 20 mins. For me the only hold up is usually the turn off to parkmore on the tuam road - rather unpredictable how long you'll wait there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement