Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher - Netflix **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Yeah, finished it.
    It's not for me - the confusion and at times awful dialog just didn't do it for me nor did the emerging storyline.
    However, most fans of the books and games appear to love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Yeah, finished it.
    It's not for me - the confusion and at times awful dialog just didn't do it for me nor did the emerging storyline.
    However, most fans of the books and games appear to love it.
    I just watched it a second time and it made more sense but I don't think it will take off the way GOT did. I know it's two different stories but they fall under the genre of fantasy and with GOT I was hooked after the first series and went out and bought all the books. I can see why this show appeals to established fans but it's going to be harder to gain a wider audience, especially if they wait so long between seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Nearly finished watching it, it kinda grows on you. I like the characters enough to be interested in what happens to them. I figured out the timeline issues and being honest, you have to watch interestedly to know where each character is along each timeline arc. From that point of view, it won’t appeal to anyone not willing to put in the effort to follow it, they’ll get lost and fed up soon.
    I find it more interesting than GOT, I think the characters have a lot more intrigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,817 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Loved it. I had written off Cavill when he was first announced but now can't imagine anyone else doing it. I hope season 2 is out on 2020, so much more story to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

A couple of niggles - the desperate overuse of the word "destiny," calling the place "the continent" instead of naming it, and an anticlimactic last episode. But overall, as someone who knew nothing about it, I liked it a lot.

I don"t get the criticism of the different timelines. They slowly melded them together with little hints until the characters met up, leading to no more than a couple of "oh" moments. It wasn't like the cataclysmic timelines of S1 of Westworld, for instance, or the mindf*ck of Dark. It was just a device the writers used which didn't distract from the story. We're eagerly awaiting more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Disclaimer... my expectations going into this were: Shannara Chronicles + Henry Cavill
    I also don't know anything about the games and have just watched the trailers.

1: Wow! Stong opening. I wasn't expecting the level of Humour, Violence and Nudity.
    I'm still not 100% about what happened there with the witcher Geralt. Like, it looked like the wizard/sorcerer dude should've been thankful but that maybe he turned the crowd against Geralt using some spell?
    I get that Geralt is a monster killer (1st scene establishes that well) and that the princess and Geralt are likely to be the overall plot. Maybe she's one of the cursed ones and he's gonna protect her and help her fight off that army that came after her?

I knew it was based on a game and thought that Geralts responses were funny because I kept imagining they were set responses that the character probably gives in the game.

A couple of niggles - the desperate overuse of the word "destiny," calling the place "the continent" instead of naming it, and an anticlimactic last episode. But overall, as someone who knew nothing about it, I liked it a lot.

I don"t get the criticism of the different timelines. They slowly melded them together with little hints until the characters met up, leading to no more than a couple of "oh" moments. It wasn't like the cataclysmic timelines of S1 of Westworld, for instance, or the mindf*ck of Dark. It was just a device the writers used which didn't distract from the story. We're eagerly awaiting more.

I could be wrong but I don't think the continent has a name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Slydice wrote: »
    I'm still not 100% about what happened there with the witcher Geralt. Like, it looked like the wizard/sorcerer dude should've been thankful but that maybe he turned the crowd against Geralt using some spell?

It seemed Renfri was able to influence the people around her through some aura of magic, which is likely why the girl he saved turned on Geralt. Or she just didnt want to burn her bridge with the sorcerer and convinced the town to turn against the Witcher. Stregobor just really wanted to dissect her body because of the power she held..

I dont recall her having such power from the book though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

I could be wrong but I don't think the continent has a name

The continent is it's name I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Isn't that a little odd though? Although if there's only one continent and no more I suppose it could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭Penn

One episode to go, but I have to say, this is pretty weak.
    Half the episodes are "this monster is actually just a cursed human", and I get why they've played around with the timelines of Geralt, Yen and Ciri so as to give them all story in each episode, but it's a bit of a jumbled mess especially as non-magic characters like Jaskier don't seem to age either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Poor enough series, the last episode was torture.

I agree about the last episode. There were too many long periods in the finale without Geralt and the rest of the cast weren't good enough to carry it. The childhood flashback scenes had me cringing a bit.

But overall, really enjoyed the first series and I wasn't really expecting to - as much as I try I can't get into the games. I really liked the 3 timelines approach even if it got a bit muddy towards the end.

Episode 3 by far the highlight for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Absolute sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Tried to finish it but couldn't. Very disappointed with it. Know nothing about the games so that might not help.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Kamu

Knew nothing of the books or games, So I went in completely new to the Lore.
    I really enjoyed the 3 timelines, thought it gave some depth to the characters in an organic way.

Liked Geralt childhood sequence in the final episode as it gave more background to the Witcher's.

Would have liked if there was another episode or two, focusing more on Yen and Geralt history.
    Overall very happy, lived it.

2: The stoney way Geralt behaves in still funny. Feels like they'll need to keep the show confined to that level to keep the audience on board. Now introducing
    the elves and others, Yennefer and the sorceresses and a feel for how the people of the princess behaved (including a kinda racism like Dobbie in Harry Potter).

Most moving moment for me was when the father
    sold Yennefer and his attitude towards her
    . I was like..
    'what a dickhead!'

Feels like the Bard
    is gonna get himself killed. Though I do like that he's a proper bard and not able to fight. Will see if he can use he personality skills usefully later on.
    nix wrote: »
    It seemed Renfri was able to influence the people around her through some aura of magic, which is likely why the girl he saved turned on Geralt. Or she just didnt want to burn her bridge with the sorcerer and convinced the town to turn against the Witcher. Stregobor just really wanted to dissect her body because of the power she held..

I dont recall her having such power from the book though :confused:

I wasn't sure if Stregobor had used the same kind of spell. Geralt had used some kind of force-push magic on the crowd during the fight so I assumed they were messaging that magic can be done subtly. Subtly by Geralt then being blunt compared to Subtly by Stregobor.
    Still don't know after episode 2 so remains to be seen. The show feels like I can probably live without getting that one answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CiaranW

Just finished watching it. I never played the games or read the books but I will be buying the books and can't wait for season two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Only played the first game yonks ago and havent read the books.
    This series lost me in the middle of the first episode, just found it very hokey and po faced. Is it worth persevering with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Agricola wrote: »
    This series lost me in the middle of the first episode, just found it very hokey and po faced. Is it worth persevering with?

Watch the first 3-4 episodes, if you still don't like it by then, you probably never will :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Rodin wrote: »
    No.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Yes it is.
    Understand that
    the timelines of the stories for the main central characters, Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri, are not happening at the same time.

You’ll understand - and hopefully enjoy the show better - if you realise that this season is not one but three intertwined stories, and for most of it they are in different times but ultimately all headed in the same direction by Destiny.

The biggest problem people seem to be having is grasping that scene changes between the different characters’ stories can also mean a change to a time decades in the past or future relative to the previous scene. It is a kind of difficult approach to get right and make it easier for newcomers to follow without resorting to putting dates on the screen at the start of each scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I only played the Witcher 3 and I loved it. I love the series so far too. It took me until the 4th episode to realise that the timelines are different.

Similar to the game, the witcher's story is light but it is the stories of those around him that are interesting.

I also like that they are episodic in that each episode has its own story with only some continuation.

The music is amazing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The first episode will be better understood after you've watched the whole series as they eventually explain what is happening. It's a bit polarising. Thought it was average overall myself but others enjoyed it more. If you told me 6 months ago that I would enjoy The Dark Crystal series more than The Witcher on Netflix I would have laughed in your face but here we are. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I think episode 4 is where it really hits its stride. I'd probably have given up before that only that the gf was enjoying. I played some of the games and was still very confused over first few episodes but it gets a little easier. Also, and this is a general movie/tv series thing, I don't think you have to understand everything as long as you get the basic idea, just some people find it easier than others to accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Klonker wrote: »
    I think episode 4 is where it really hits its stride. I'd probably have given up before that only that the gf was enjoying. I played some of the games and was still very confused over first few episodes but it gets a little easier. Also, and this is a general movie/tv series thing, I don't think you have to understand everything as long as you get the basic idea, just some people find it easier than others to accept that.

Ive read all the books and played all 3 games, Witcher I was one of the best things Id played for years and years, Witcher III is easily my favourite game of all time, the Blood and Wine DLC is probably my second favourite game of all time or at least the best DLC or expansion Ive ever seen in 30 years of gaming, Im a bit Witcher obsessed since long before this series was announced but Im 6 episodes in and this is just complete and utter gibberish! WTF is going on? Its a neverending series of disjointed unconnected scenes, Im actually amazed at what Im watching and the reviews Im reading.

Henry Cavill has absolutely nailed Geralt like no other actor on Earth could, same for Yennifer (who is probably the only reason Im still watching tbh) and the cinematography and production values are great but apart from that... Its just complete nonsense, the writers and director are off their heads. From reading this thread apparently Im supposed to have figured out that its all taking place in different timelines by now? What? Its completely baffling, they had a million options for a plot from the source material and now I have 2 episodes left and Im not even sure if there is a plot... Yennifer wants a baby and Geralt likes Yennifer, Ciri is a useless bland nonentity compared to the brilliant character in the games and she's in danger... what am I missing? None of the episodes seem to be connected to each other in any major way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 17,477 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Adds some beats and thinks its amazing - not!

• Advertisement

3: Some big WTF moments in that monster fight!
    It was done well though. Starting with the
    really funny *chain snaps* Geralt: "F*ck!" :D

So... lemme see if I got this.. the story of
    Yennefer is actually ages in the past for Geralt cos I'm pretty sure those were the two ..now dead.. kids in the dancing ballroom of the sorcerer guild?

So then, I'm still guessing Geralt and
    Ciri are due to meet up.. but now open to the possibility that she's from a different time too.

Oh and the lol at the end at the "I've got to get back to my horse!" :D

Advertisement