Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher - Netflix **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Slydice wrote: »
    So... lemme see if I got this.. the story of
    Yennefer is actually ages in the past for Geralt cos I'm pretty sure those were the two ..now dead.. kids in the dancing ballroom of the sorcerer guild?

Sort of; the kids
    in the ballroom were the king and his (now dead) sister; the incestuous daughter being the monster Geralt fought.
    so assuming humans age normally in this world, we're talking about ... 30 years?

Episode 3 was the strongest so far, being a lot more accessible than previous, though maybe I'm just becoming acclimatised to the world. The monster fight was tense and fun, while Yennifers story not complete gobbledegook as before.

Its a strange beast of a show, it's definitely not the high minded vehicle I thought it would be. Very straightforward, almost trashy (in a good way), but still told with a modicum of humanity to avoid it being exploitational or cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Everytime he has to say F***! :D It's like he's cursed! :D

4: Alright... alright.. it's starting to come together a bit now..
    3 timelines... Yennefers story leading into Geralts leading into Ciri's.

Yennefer h
    ad been in a a grey/dark territory up until now but with this latest turn.. it feels like she's taking on a darker tone and a **** attitude so I'm seeing the makings of an uncaring dark immortal baddie maybe..

Geralt
    and Ciri seem to be bound to one another. I get the feeling she must have some ancient power from before this mythical 'Conjunction of the Spheres' they keep bringing up. Still looks like the plan is for her to sort out the land and for him to protect her. Maybe she'll be the goodie against the Yennefer baddie.

Hrmmm.. will Yennefer
    be a little like Thanos from the MCU I wonder..

Yer mans name .. Mousesack.. awe jeez :rolleyes::D What am I.. 12?
    Oh and the lol at the end at the "I've got to get back to my horse!" :D
    Haven't seen Roach since the start of episode 3!

5: Fun episode. Mostly felt like a filler to set up:
    - Yennefer
    and Geralt joining up
    - Ciri
    getting taken in by the ... Doppelganger?

All seems to be
    going well at this moment as the possibility of Ciri and Geralt meeting is still there.

6: So like, this episode just
    brought Geralt and Yennefer together just to split them up again and we're still not near Ciri. I dunno. Seems like the baddie is on the move and so the endgame is being setup. Though maybe we're not even close maybe that's all for season 2 and beyond. Could this season just be to introduce Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri and maybe just get Geralt to meet Ciri for the first time?

aside: lol, when the
    women guards reappeared in the cave, I literally said What The ****! just before Yennefer did
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

6: So like, this episode just
    brought Geralt and Yennefer together just to split them up again and we're still not near Ciri. I dunno. Seems like the baddie is on the move and so the endgame is being setup. Though maybe we're not even close maybe that's all for season 2 and beyond. Could this season just be to introduce Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri and maybe just get Geralt to meet Ciri for the first time?

aside: lol, when the
    women guards reappeared in the cave, I literally said What The ****! just before Yennefer did
    :D

Season 1,
    really just introduces the main characters, the general backstory of each and what's going on in the world as a whole. Season 2 is where the **** hits the fan.

Fun fact though:
    We've already met one of the "baddies" as you'd call him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Season 1,
    really just introduces the main characters, the general backstory of each and what's going on in the world as a whole. Season 2 is where the **** hits the fan.

Fun fact though:

Yah, S1 of GoT was sort of similar.

There was a good bit of faffing around, getting used to the characters.

7: Alright, I like how they are
    bringing it all together with the different times and stories. Thinking this is definitely a universe creation and backstory season. That's fine. Definitely looks like the point at the end is to bring Geralt to Ciri. Yennefer still a wildcard as to what she's gonna do.

I must say.. Jodhi May as Queen Calanthe has put in a star performance any time she's been in the show.
    Had to look her up..
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0562003/
    Shocked she hasn't gotten more high profile work since she was in The Last of the Mohicans 28 Years ago (1992)!
    498865.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

7: Alright, I like how they are
    bringing it all together with the different times and stories. Thinking this is definitely a universe creation and backstory season. That's fine. Definitely looks like the point at the end is to bring Geralt to Ciri. Yennefer still a wildcard as to what she's gonna do.

I must say.. Jodhi May as Queen Calanthe has put in a star performance any time she's been in the show.
    Had to look her up..
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0562003/
    Shocked she hasn't gotten more high profile work since she was in The Last of the Mohicans 28 Years ago (1992)!
    498865.jpg
    I watched that movie recently and didn't recognise her. I loved Calanthe's story.
    In the beginning I thought she was great but by the end I realised she was deeply flawed and her arrogance and pride played a huge part in her downfall. I like that there aren't clear cut baddies. It's like GOT with different groups looking for power and fcuking each other over in the process. It makes it more interesting when people can be both good and bad.

Finished!! Overall: Really enjoyed that show. Went in with low expectations but it delivered well.

I don't know how the audience will react to it. I usually go-in for shows like this but audiences can be picky. Looks like they held it together enough and kept a hook at the end to go for season two!

8: Ohhhhhhh man! I was like
    FINNNALLLYYY!!!!! I'm pretty sure I called out that this was gonna happen all the way back in episode 1!!

That cart driver dude
    did decent enough given he only had a small role
    in the grand scheme of things.

Now just .. what happened
    to Yennefer.. yeah yeah, tune in next season, i get it. :) I bet she'll be around somewhere. Cool special move with the fire.
    Lots more backstory to cover and universe to build I get the feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Finished three episodes. Not too bad but really although it is good it is nowhere near the quality of Game of Thrones. GoT had very good supporting actors and the sets and setting were mostly, and looked, authentic. The supporting actors in Witcher are mostly very weak and I doubt any of the scenes were shot outside a sound studio. Only played some of the games but the series would not prompt me to pick up the books.

Grassey wrote: »
    7 seasons planned, and 3rd has got the go ahead I saw online last night.

:eek:
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    Fun fact though:

Oh... well the... that's something for the future. My guesses (2):
    either the sorcerer sword-fighter or the king from the north who turned up at the end with the army.

That cart driver dude.
    The cart driver dude was Yoren and he was going to take Geralt to The Wall :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I think for me anyway, The Witcher series will easily pass GoT's as they have finished stories to pluck from, GoT carried strong for a number of seasons but ultimately failed and had no end game pay off, as the show runners had no idea what to do when they ran out of books to guide them, so they just rushed for the finish.

I tend to watch shows again that are good from start to finish, but GoT finished so poorly i dont see myself ever watching it again..But i cant see this happening with the Witcher, it can only get better..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,358 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I enjoyed it.

The acting of Yen was very weak I thought.

It's muddled, I watched with subtitles on etc but hopeful S2 will progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Finishing episode 3 now, starting to feel like I have an idea of what's going on more, first epsiode was tough to get into for me, second a little easier to follow and the third has been very good so looking forward to the 4th now

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Onto episode 6 now, just a couple of quick questions though.
    I’ve heard that Geralt’s, Yen’s & Ciri’s storylines are taking place in different times so how does Geralt and Yen meet at the same time?. And regarding the law of surprise episode is Ciri the child of the princess?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

It's their timelines meeting up. Yen is way older than Geralt but they both don't age or at least age very slowly.

So is the whole catching up with Yen’s backstory done with now? Feel like she came on awful lot in such a short space of time, unless I missed something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,521 ✭✭✭brevity

Hmm.

At first I didn’t really like it but it started to grow on me. It reminded me of Xena or Hercules.

Cavill carries it quite a bit but the actress who plays Yen was good as well I thought. As was the bard who annoyed me quite a bit. I did feel sorry for him when Geralt told him to **** off.

Not a bad series at all. Looking forward to the second

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    So is the whole catching up with Yen’s backstory done with now? Feel like she came on awful lot in such a short space of time, unless I missed something.

It's one of the poorest aspects of the show, but Yen's story takes place a good 50/60 years before what's going on with Geralt and a lot of Geralt's stuff is a good 10 years before Ciri escaping Cintra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Sonics2k wrote:
    It's one of the poorest aspects of the show.. .

I reserve that for keeping the silver sword on roach :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Just finished episode 4 and the timeline thing is starting to become a bit clearer now. At least for Geralt and Ciri.
    I assume it'll do the same with Yennefer shortly as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Finished it up this morning, must say after a shaky start I really did get into it and enjoyed it a lot. Feels like it was just really getting going too which is a shame, but obviously good in the sense they keep you wanting more. Hopefully they follow up with season 2 in a good time and capitalise on the hype.

Have never played a Witcher game, though now have a massive urge to! or read a book so went in totally blind when it was described to me as being more LOTR than GOT.

Cavill was good, that song is stuck in my head, the actress who plays Yen was pretty good I thought. Some of the supporting cast weren't fantastic but nothing you couldn't live with :)

Probably do a rewatch in a week or so, episode 1 will surely make a lot more sense second time round

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Have never played a Witcher game, though now have a massive urge to! or read a book so went in totally blind when it was described to me as being more LOTR than GOT.

Reminds me of this tweet which is pretty accurate description of The Witcher

https://twitter.com/DarkJiku/status/1211081477946892288?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I gave up on it after the third episode.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

notobtuse wrote: »
    I gave up on it after the third episode.

You gave up too soon,once you get your head around the time jumps in the story you're grand.

Advertisement