Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher - Netflix **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Just finished season 1 yesterday. Wasn't sure about 1st episode but got really into it after that! Thought eps 4-6 were the best, episode 7 was rubbish, half of it was stuff that had been shown previously and didn't add anything IMO.

Overall though I love it - it is a bit cringe at times but that's part of the charm. I was already familiar with it from Witcher 3 and had read a fair bit of the background - my partner who watched it with me has no prior knowledge and definitely didn't enjoy it as much.

Finished it last night and was also wondering if people without some knowledge of either the books or games might get as much from it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Finished it last night and was also wondering if people without some knowledge of either the books or games might get as much from it

My parents watched it on my recommendation, neither of which really knew anything about it. They originally planned to watch the first episode but ended up watching six instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I honestly believe if they said at the start that the 3 stories are in separate timelines up until the last episodes, it would have been received a lot better. Or some camera trickery to make each 'time' appear different. Either way, it's due another watch soon imo. Great show, and I expect it to be even better in the second watch.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I thought it was a good show, in particular it left me wanting to know more about the story which is always a good sign.

My main gripes would be the acting, set design/costumes and pacing.
    I thought Anya Chalotra was brilliant at the start as a hunchack. But there was almost no transition between downbeat hunchback and cynical courtesan type. Her desire to regain her fertility didnt really scan for me - she sacrified it easily and nothing on screen shows how she changed her mind. And a lot of the time she looked more like someone about to go out on thr town in modern London than a fantasy character. I dont mind some of the neoligisms such as the bard holding his lute like a modern rock star or modern day curse words, but I felt she looked out of place trapsing over the mountains.

I know Henry Cavil is getting a lot of praise for this but I found his performance inconsistent. Great in the serious parts, but wooden and uncomfortable when the script has him as the quippy adventurer. Thats probably more the script than him though. But in one scene he puts on a leather jacket and its just out of place.

In terms of pacing, I didnt mind the three timelines so much as Id been forewarned. However, there was a lot of stuff that felt like it ended too soon and others that went on too long. Stuff that hadnt been properly set up seemed sprung from left field e.g. the golden dragon made no sense and was told very badly. Actually that whole episode was dreadful.

Overall, I look forward to season 2 and hopefully with a bigger budget and more care we will see production levels znd a real world feel like early Game of Thrones. At the moment its more like a good Sci Fi channel, 90s sky one fantasy romp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

81316518_162334035104818_3129258514111791104_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_oc=AQmppEbNI3Kht9gbdUGd3jNDvBu87BcRjhctI0hlNbMOfFFjuVD9V_VB-Xtsi051V8Q&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=6e34bca9a80422d6346ea6f671e8de1f&oe=5E988737

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Kinda works...

also:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Just waiting for Leo Moracchioli or Rob Lundgren to do a metal version now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Just waiting for Leo Moracchioli or Rob Lundgren to do a metal version now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,477 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Loved the Dan Vasc version

Not bad, but those songs would be better without the overdriven guitar and screaming voice :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Not bad, but those songs would be better without the overdriven guitar and screaming voice

Take that back :)

I felt like the Dan Vasc version would be right at home playing aways as the title song for a bond movie, had that kinda vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,358 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Slydice wrote: »

Especially pertinent to me given I was watching with subtitles.

noodler wrote: »
    Especially pertinent to me given I was watching with subtitles.

I almost live by subtitles these days! Sometimes they have stuff I miss or translations not shown to the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Venom wrote: »

F**k that ****, there's already a metal anthem for the Witcher.

There'll be a bleedin anthology of Witcher metal at this rate.

Venom wrote: »

There it is :)

fritzelly wrote: »
    Loved the Dan Vasc version
    Reminds me a bit of Bruce Dickinson, especially when he goes high. Dude has a great voice.

Not bad, but those songs would be better without the overdriven guitar and screaming voice :P
    Shush you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Thread's getting a lil bit nerdy now :p

giphy.gif?cid=790b76118789918a047e82493634009f9d8a4048585349ae&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

I must be the only one who watched that episode and thought the song was completely forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,477 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Relikk wrote: »
    I must be the only one who watched that episode and thought the song was completely forgettable.

Who are you again?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,358 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You aren't.

Can't understand the fuss at all.

THe song passed me by at the time, but listening to it back, I love it. The original version and not those metal versions that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

You aren't.

I wouldn't call it a musical masterpiece but I definitely found it catchy and it stuck in my head. Toss a coin.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You aren't.

It's an earworm of a tune, that's all. Not a masterwork, just a composition that easily slips into your brain. Obviously not in all cases, but definitely has had that effect on folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

You aren't.

To top it all off there are metal covers of it. There's nothing worse than metal covers, of anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

To top it all off there's metal covers of it. There's nothing worse than metal covers, of anything.

Yes, there is. Rap covers... *shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Slydice wrote: »
    Kinda works...

also:

The guy with the long hair is gorgeous.

• Advertisement

Several great metal covers of songs, people have different tastes in music..

Finally finished it tonight, roll on season 2.

Advertisement