Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher - Netflix **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 4 and still confused but broadly entertained. Still the same complaints too, in that it throws these concepts into the narrative without warning and as throwaway parts of conversation - the whole
    law of surprises
    left the viewer to work out the ramifications. Maybe I'm just slow on the uptick but this show has a strong need to occasionally rewind to hear again what was said.

Am liking just how visceral and ugly magic is, emphasising how forced it must be for humans to even cast it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Finished it there. I hadn't gone near The Witcher games, but the series has got me into The Witcher 3 and it's awesome. So the flywheel effect is working for the IP.

I really enjoyed the series, the concepts and even it making you do some work to understand parts of it. A fresh take on a lot of different fantasy elements.

What I didn't enjoy was basically the series ending on an ellipsis. I hate it when creators do this. Tell a contained story and give us a serious payoff in each season whilst setting up the next. All this did was feel like it ended 2 or 3 episodes short of a full deck, and come back next season in 2021 folks! This is particularly troublesome in the age of Netflix, when they cancel shows with little warning (though this won't happen in The Witcher's case, thankfully, for season 2.) So the payoff at the end wasn't satisfactory and meant Season 1 felt a bit like a prologue to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mark Hamill is being linked with season two.

I think that would be an awesome casting anyone who saw him in Knightfall season 2 will get how he would fit in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭De Bhál

wife and I started on this a few nights ago. We knew nothing about this show and were about to give up after ep 2 as it seemed a bit all over the shop and we guessed there was a lot of flying through storylines that we assumed was were easier to understand if you read the books.

Stuck with it and finished ep 4 last night. Third timeline was introduced (as far as we could tell)
    with Duny the hedgehog guy and his marriage to Pavetta.

not a bad show, just have to get over the first couple of confusing episodes if you know nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

De Bhál wrote: »
    wife and I started on this a few nights ago. We knew nothing about this show and were about to give up after ep 2 as it seemed a bit all over the shop and we guessed there was a lot of flying through storylines that we assumed was were easier to understand if you read the books.

Stuck with it and finished ep 4 last night. Third timeline was introduced (as far as we could tell)
    with Duny the hedgehog guy and his marriage to Pavetta.

not a bad show, just have to get over the first couple of confusing episodes if you know nothing about it.

Yeah I thought it was a bit all over the place (at least for a new comer). It too meanwhile to even realise there were timelines going on.

Ended up being hooked by episode 4. Raging that season 2 is at least a year away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I really enjoyed it; didnt take itself too serious.

Kinda reminded me of a modern take on Xena/Hercules tv shows.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,247 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mark Hamill is being linked with season two.

I think that would be an awesome casting anyone who saw him in Knightfall season 2 will get how he would fit in here.

Wonder who he'd be playing...
    surely Vesemir?

He's not really in the books much but it's a role I could see them expanding a bit for season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Wonder who he'd be playing...
    surely Vesemir?

He's not really in the books much but it's a role I could see them expanding a bit for season 2.

It's reported that he hasn't a clue about the show, characters or lore, but would love to play that role. Doesn't matter, the man is a sci-fi legend and he's a bonus to nearly any show (except Star Wars, but that's not his problem they write terrible scripts).

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Finished it there. I hadn't gone near The Witcher games, but the series has got me into The Witcher 3 and it's awesome. So the flywheel effect is working for the IP.

I really enjoyed the series, the concepts and even it making you do some work to understand parts of it. A fresh take on a lot of different fantasy elements.

What I didn't enjoy was basically the series ending on an ellipsis. I hate it when creators do this. Tell a contained story and give us a serious payoff in each season whilst setting up the next. All this did was feel like it ended 2 or 3 episodes short of a full deck, and come back next season in 2021 folks! This is particularly troublesome in the age of Netflix, when they cancel shows with little warning (though this won't happen in The Witcher's case, thankfully, for season 2.) So the payoff at the end wasn't satisfactory and meant Season 1 felt a bit like a prologue to be honest.

One of the biggest problems at the end for me was that the main character barely featured!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭jasonb

Finished the season last night. We enjoyed it, though it wasn't without its flaws. Thought the finale was one of the weaker episodes, it seemed all over the place, and Geralt not being involved much in the big battle felt a bit weird too.

I found it very hard to follow exactly what happened and why in the final battle.
    For example, one of the Mages and some kids blew up the castle, as they were under control of the 'metal worms' that came in the small box, I think. However, what I don't understand was how were they under control of them? I saw one inside an ear, did it have to crawl in there? Were all mages under control by them (but not Yennefer) or just ones that were infected/touched by them, even though we didn't see that happen?

Also,
    the Mage who fought with Cahir (Vilgefortz?) woke near the end and beat someone to death who knew him. Was he 'infected' too? Or actually a bad guy that we didn't realise?

We also saw
    the King from the North with his army arrive and stop. Were they too late, did they change their mind, they seemed to just stop and watch for a second, and that was it.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, hopefully someone else who has more knowledge of this canon could help?

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

jasonb wrote: »
    We also saw
    the King from the North with his army arrive and stop. Were they too late, did they change their mind, they seemed to just stop and watch for a second, and that was it.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, hopefully someone else who has more knowledge of this canon could help?

Thanks...

I think for that
    Yennefer's firestorm pretty much stopped the invasion, so they arrived and thought everything was already over

Thanks, that could be it, I can't specifically remember the order of the scenes, and whether they showed up after she did her thing or not...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha. Episode 5, aka the Episode you don't want your parents walking in on :D Glad the
    timelines have finally crossed over,
    felt a little overdue.

While not entirely convinced by his voice, I've enjoyed Cavill's performance as Geralt; just the right measure of world-weariness and good line readings to raise a chuckle from his exasperated "Ah f*ck".

Without going back, what was the
    first wish of Geralt's? I presume it was that which caused Jaskier's illness?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ha. Episode 5, aka the Episode you don't want your parents walking in on :D Glad the
    felt a little overdue.

While not entirely convinced by his voice, I've enjoyed Cavill's performance as Geralt; just the right measure of world-weariness and good line readings to raise a chuckle from his exasperated "Ah f*ck".

I read online that in the books his first wish was basically
    telling the Djinn to go away and **** himself, though he wasn't certain exactly what the chant meant as he'd overheard it. So understandably the Djinn was a bit annoyed when he came back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

pixelburp wrote: »
    felt a little overdue.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused by this. I googled it and apparently

Wish 1:
    Geralt is in the middle of a rant and says "I just want some peace", so the Djinn grants this by putting a spell on Jaskier which affects his throat. Geralt feels super guilty which is why he goes to extreme measures to cure Jaskier.

Wish 2:
    Geralt is in a dungeon and is about to be killed when he says something along the lines of "I wish your head would explode" and the guy's head explodes.

Wish 3:
    Geralt somehow binds his destiny with Yennifer's. We don't know exactly what he said and Yennefer is p!ssed when she finds out because she thought her connection to Geralt was real but knowing that it was magic makes her think it was fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

Is it just me or is the quality and tone of the show completely all over the place? First episode was alright but underwhelming, but the second was horrible, just really tacky, cheap looking and absurdly camp, like a bad old episode of Hercules/Xena. Almost gave up on it, but watched Ep3 and that was incomparably better....quite decent, even.

Is the song thing some sort of big inside joke? I don't get what the big deal is, non-stop seeing memes about it everywhere.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused by this. I googled it and apparently

Wish 1:
    Geralt is in the middle of a rant and says "I just want some peace", so the Djinn grants this by putting a spell on Jaskier which affects his throat. Geralt feels super guilty which is why he goes to extreme measures to cure Jaskier.

Wish 2:
    Geralt is in a dungeon and is about to be killed when he says something along the lines of "I wish your head would explode" and the guy's head explodes.

Wish 3:
    Geralt somehow binds his destiny with Yennifer's. We don't know exactly what he said and Yennefer is p!ssed when she finds out because she thought her connection to Geralt was real but knowing that it was magic makes her think it was fake.

Right, now it makes sense. Maybe I'm just softened too much on other shows, ones that absolutely would have shown a quick flashback to that first instance when Geralt revealed the truth of things, because I completely missed it first time around.

Dunno if that's a problem with the editing, or writing, but this show has an issue with exposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

i kept watching once i seen yennefers transformation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

fergus1001 wrote: »

Anya Chalotra is indeed a compellingly attractive woman.

fergus1001 wrote: »

Is transformation another word for boobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Is transformation another word for boobs?

well when she lost the hunch back I suppose

Netflix has released an official interactive map of the Witcher World, showing both the locations and timeline of events in the show on a world map

https://www.witchernetflix.com/en-gb

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Just finished watching . Enjoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

There's this image which Netflix have allegedly released showing the timeline of the show. Going by it, Yenn is so much younger than in the books. Confused me for a while until someone said it was deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Netflix has released an official interactive map of the Witcher World, showing both the locations and timeline of events in the show on a world map

That's an excellent webpage .. Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I normally hate the privacy and cookie messages that pop up on most websites, but the cookie message on that website ia hilarious :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

The fact that the website is even required is indicative of the terrible, unclear structure of timelines and the complete lack of clarity regarding location and politics.

You explain this stuff in the show, not after.

Advertisement