Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher - Netflix **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just 1 episode done but really liking Cavill as Geralt and i had him completely written off. Looking forward to watching the rest over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

There may come a time where I regret staying up until the wee hours of the morning to binge watch The Witcher, but it is not this time!

(It may be in 2 hours, when I have to get up for work)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sonics2k wrote: »
    So, you've been kinda ****ting on this since the trailer came out, giving out about the 'diversty' hires and so on and the PC Agenda. Well it turns out they pretty damn faithfully have stuck the story of The Last Wish and hired some damn good actors in the process.

Oh, and here's the Twitter reactions.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TheWitcherNetflix&src=trend_click

Jog on with your usual ****e.

I didnt even mention the silly woke casting after the watching the first two episodes. If that was its only problem it would be doing well.

The verdict on Twitter? If Twitter meant anything Jeremy Corbyn would PM of the UK with a 5000 MP majority.

You know Kevin Bridges advice to people who use the phrase "jog on?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

No spoilers because I won't have a chance to see it for a few days, but how's Freya Allen as Ciri?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Don't know the source material at all but it looks visually impressive based on Episode 1, a typical medieaval fantasy. Can't say I've any fondness for Cavill's "acting" but seems watchable enough if confusing in the narrative to the uninitiated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Gbear wrote: »
    No spoilers because I won't have a chance to see it for a few days, but how's Freya Allen as Ciri?

Not up to much IMO, the girl who plays Yennefer is a good. A lot of the female charectars are not great, combination of bad writing and indifferent acting.

The guy who plays Dandelion is good but he's having to deliver some awful lines

The episodes with mostly Geralt or Geralt/Yennfer have a fair amount of good moments. It just constantly hits bum notes though.

Gbear wrote: »

as bad as she looked in the trailers

the rest is honestly great though, just not the cintra stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Its decent. Cavill played Geralt much better than I expected. It gets a bit lore heavy at times with characters referencing things that I don't think add much to the story and probably confuse people not familiar with The Witcher. Found this especially in the earlier episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Only watched the first episode but just makes me feel bad that there is no more witcher games in the forseeable future. I thought Ciri was okay but how many books were there until adult Ciri appears? Geralt was perfectly cast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Only watched the first episode but just makes me feel bad that there is no more witcher games in the forseeable future. I thought Ciri was okay but how many books were there until adult Ciri appears? Geralt was perfectly cast

The company that made the games just signed a new deal with the author of the books so something might be in the works, although will probably be a few years

https://www.pcgamer.com/cd-projekt-has-a-new-deal-with-the-witcher-creator-andrez-sapkowski/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

The company that made the games just signed a new deal with the author of the books so something might be in the works, although will probably be a few years

https://www.pcgamer.com/cd-projekt-has-a-new-deal-with-the-witcher-creator-andrez-sapkowski/

Man the more I read about Sapkowski the more I think he's a dick. Spent all the those recent years bitching about CD projekt Red and the games etc, but won't stop him from running back to that teat to get a better deal.

Back on topic I enjoyed the first episode was curious to see how they would adapt the books seeing as the early ones are more vignettes and narrated in more of myths and legends style (Twas true loves first kiss that broke the curse etc). Though I believe the latter books eschew that style for more traditional long form story telling.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

5 episodes in now, found the first couple a bit ropey but the last three have been really good. Cavill is perfect in the role and the actress playing Yennefer has been a lot better than I expected.

The Ciri stuff is definitely the weak link so far but is slowly improving I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Relikk

Only watched the first episode so far, but that dialogue is very ropey and brings it down quite a bit. I'm only familiar with the games and I've never read the books, but if it wasn't for my fondness for the games then I reckon it'd be touch and go on whether I'd continue to watch this or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Up to EP6. Generally speaking, I'm liking the series a lot. I thought Episodes 1-5 were very solid.

EP6, however was a little ropey. The Villentretenmerth short story is one of my favourites and while they didn't butcher it, some things not nessarily story related really grated, and not just the lack of hot tub orgies. The design of the dragon, while I'm 100% sure is down to CGI budgets, really wasn't great. The Aard kiss scene was just silly as was a sorceress fighting with blade and not spell. The volatility of Geralt and Yenn's relationship wasn't shown very well which makes the ending a little ... out of nowhere. Similarly, the relationship between Jaskier and Geralt isn't quite at the stage yet where an outburst like that has as much impact. I feel pushing this episode slightly further down the line might have worked better, though with only 8 episodes, I suppose that's unavoidable.

It felt rushed. Weakest episode so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Just got done on episode 3, and to be honest, im loving it a lot more than i was expecting. They are taking some stories from the first book (only one ive read) and making those stories much shorter, but not in a bad way, they are still staying true mostly.

My only issue with it thus far, is the odd bit of ropey dialogue, mainly in the first episode from the no name characters. And some of the set pieces are crappy, a bit too clean, like the likes you would see in the old hercules tv show. Mainly those scenes shot during the day. But any of the scenes set in the dark or in the snow look terrific thus far.

I was expecting the story in the first episode (
    butcher of blaviken
    ) to be the best of the season, but episode 3 just blew that out of the water :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

While the episode was different in a lot of ways it was disappointing that one thing from the Jinn short story didn't make it into the episode,
    the ancient spell/curse that Geralt used.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,880 ✭✭✭billyhead

Should you have read the books of played the games to watch this series to understand it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

billyhead wrote: »
    Should you have read the books of played the games to watch this series to understand it?

I have only read the first book and working through the second. I’m only at the start of ep 6 and to this point a lot felt familiar just from reading the book.

I’ll be honest, if it weren’t for having this familiarity, I am not sure I would have stuck with this, as a first exposure, it is a bit out there in terms of lore/fantasy. I’m curious how new audiences will receive this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

First episode was truly great. The fighting is absolute carnage, so well done.

Wasn't expecting it to be any good at all, but it's class.

billyhead wrote: »

If you like fantasy/horror, give it a try at least. From any bad reviews ive seen on RT/meta, those that didnt like it were those that had no prior knowledge of the world or were just slow on the uptake of knowing when particular scenes were being shown at different times. Theres no "15 years ago" writing that pops up on screne, but i found it rather obvious and not because i know the witcher world :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Third episode in and it's a slog knowing nothing about the series
    Lots of characters being thrown into the episodes just to disappear again, really needed some world building for non fan bois

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Finished the series last night and thought it was great. Each episode seemed to be better than the last. Knew next to nothing about the subject matter aside from knowing it was a video game. Can't wait for season 2

fritzelly wrote: »
    Third episode in and it's a slog knowing nothing about the series
    Lots of characters being thrown into the episodes just to disappear again, really needed some world building for non fan bois

Game of thrones was more confusing starting off to be honest, give it more time, info will start sticking and other characters will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭BurnUp78

Watched the first ep thought it was just ok, nothing really grabbed me and made me want to binge the rest, may still give the rest a bash though.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Finished the series last night and thought it was great. Each episode seemed to be better than the last. Knew next to nothing about the subject matter aside from knowing it was a video game. Can't wait for season 2

If was adapted into games. The show is based on the original books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

nix wrote: »
    Game of thrones was more confusing starting off to be honest, give it more time, info will start sticking and other characters will return.

GoT has too much going on in the first few episodes, I've tried watching the first season a few times but couldn't grasp it and gave up. Way too much going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Renfri would have made a much better Triss or
    Geralt's mother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Finished it today. Very good imo well worth a watch

I've played the games and read the first book of short stories and I'm still confused with what is going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Haven't read the book, played the games or ever heard of this but said I'd give it a go and ended up watching the whole thing.

It's kind of a highlander meets game of thrones with some magic thrown in type of thing. The one thing was the story time line seemed a bit all over the place but it's worth a watch if you don't like the first few episodes you'd be unlikely to like the rest imo. I'd say there was some serious geeking out over this years ago I'm sure it has a following by the dungeons and dragons type.

If there's a season 2 I'd give it a watch.

Advertisement