Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Fibre Broadband

Options
  • 17-05-2017 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Do any of you have Sky broadband, I was considering it but wondering how good it is in Waterford compared to say Virgin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Phoenix1608

Hi, I switched from Eir to Sky after Christmas, and it was a huge mistake, heavy congestion during peak hours makes it unusable, I was fobbed off with numerous excuses, and several tests done. In the end I went back to Eir and not a single problem since. Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I dont know about Sky but i switched from Virgin to Vodafone last year and im very happy with it always fast and only €40 a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Do any of you have Sky broadband, I was considering it but wondering how good it is in Waterford compared to say Virgin?

Iv sky broadband. Works perfect for me and I use it alot for boxsets and gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

it seems like it depends where you are in town. ive never been a sky customer but i know people that have a terrible line with them, ask your neighbours, always a good indication of how good or bad a service is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

do Sky and Eir and Vodafone use the same network infrastructure and lines?

• Advertisement

robtri wrote: »
    do Sky and Eir and Vodafone use the same network infrastructure and lines?

i think they do but i could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i think they do but i could be wrong

i was sure they did.. odd then a previous poster had issues with one provider and none with another

robtri wrote: »
    i was sure they did.. odd then a previous poster had issues with one provider and none with another

if they do, id imagine some providers get priority on the line over others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Vodafone is the best value for money at the moment in my opinion, 25 for 1st 6 months and 45 thereafter. Ive been with them for several years without any major issues

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Thank's for the responses all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Phoenix1608

Honestly stick to Eir, they advertise congestion free and that's exactly what you will get. Sky and vodafone rent the lines off of Eir but have a lower bandwidth priority which will lead to congestion. I'm still to this day dealing with debt collectors because Sky messed up the switch over. At least with Eir you will have dedicated forums, ones that are properly moderated unlike here. I must have received three warnings on this thread from boards employee Mark simply for defending myself and against the bored and the jobless bandwagoning this thread. (apparently the other person was free to insult me away as much as they pleased). All I wanted was a medium in which to talk to Sky without being on hold all day, I didn't want to have to deal with keyboard warriors, but I had no choice. Sky perhaps have a forum, but all I could not find it at least.

I may come across as harsh, but I call it like I see it. The end of the day you will have actual support with Eir, they are not always perfect but they are leagues ahead of Sky and Vodafones support. Choose Eir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

That escalated quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

Honestly stick to Eir, they advertise congestion free and that's exactly what you will get. Sky and vodafone rent the lines off of Eir but have a lower bandwidth priority which will lead to congestion. I'm still to this day dealing with debt collectors because Sky messed up the switch over. At least with Eir you will have dedicated forums, ones that are properly moderated unlike here. I must have received three warnings on this thread from boards employee Mark simply for defending myself and against the bored and the jobless bandwagoning this thread. (apparently the other person was free to insult me away as much as they pleased). All I wanted was a medium in which to talk to Sky without being on hold all day, I didn't want to have to deal with keyboard warriors, but I had no choice. Sky perhaps have a forum, but all I could not find it at least.

I may come across as harsh, but I call it like I see it. The end of the day you will have actual support with Eir, they are not always perfect but they are leagues ahead of Sky and Vodafones support. Choose Eir

I could say the exact same about Eir. It seems that we will all have differnet experiences of different providers. I was with Eir for 12 months and all was fine but when it went wrong, it really went wrong. We had no WiFi in our house since Christmas and when I had the engineer out he told me that Eir do not guarantee WiFi. One of the techinal team told me that my problem was caused by my microwave. I was also told that the wiring in my house was at fault. Funny it worked fine for the previous 12 years, even when Eircom had my business previously. At time dealing with Eir felt like it was like dealing with someone from out outer Mongolia and I spoke a different language. Then 2 months back the TV service started palying up and that was the last straw for me. If you want to be made feel like a complete fool and have a good hour to spare then call them to report a fault. One thing I will say for Eir, (when I was leaving them to move back to Sky) they could not have been more proffessional and courteous. Its a pity that I did not experience this level of service when I was a customer as I may still be with them.

I was with Sky for years as a TV customer and then had the whole package with them, i.e. Phone TV and Broadband but got lured away by a killer deal from Eir, only reason I moved. I am now back with Sky over 4 weeks now and its like day & night the difference. Sky all the way for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Agree with the above post. I left Eir in December and am still receiving correspondence from them. They couldn't decide if they owed me money or if I owed them money, then it was resolved. Then I kept receiving bill notifications up until last month. Up until this week I was receiving calls from a debt collection agency even though I was assured I didn't owe them anything. 6 months on, I have been told that I owe them money for the router because THEY never collected when I cancelled. Absolute joke of an organization.

Back with Sky for TV and Virgin for Broadband and couldn't be happier with the level of service.

Back with Sky for TV and Virgin for Broadband and couldn't be happier with the level of service.

id ditch sky and stick with your virgin setup, you could still have everything you currently have and more. skys tv service is great though

Advertisement