Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 55% Real Roads Discount disingenuous?

Options
  • 17-05-2017 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭

I heard the radio advertisement at lunch time for the 55% discount if you have 9+ years NCB.

From what I can remember, with other insurers if you have 5/5+ years NCB you get the max discount, which is around 55% discount on your premium anyway. 

So are you pushing out the 5 years discount to 9 years, effectively an increase in premium for anyone below 9 years? What's the discount rate for 5 years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I heard the radio advertisement at lunch time for the 55% discount if you have 9+ years NCB.

From what I can remember, with other insurers if you have 5/5+ years NCB you get the max discount, which is around 55% discount on your premium anyway. 

So are you pushing out the 5 years discount to 9 years, effectively an increase in premium for anyone below 9 years? What's the discount rate for 5 years?
    It's al;; irrelevant anyway.

Liberty charge me 10,000 for a base premium and offer me 90% discount for 9 years NCB ( 10% per year ) and my premium is 1,000

Aviva base premium is 5,000 with a 80% discount for 9 years driving giving me a premium of 1,000.

On the radio which sounds better? 90% off or 80% off. Semantics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's not irrelevant if it means they don't take a full NCD into account until a much later stage.

It's not irrelevant if it means they don't take a full NCD into account until a much later stage.
    I get what you are saying but it is irrelevant as its all proportional.

There isn't any law that says otherwise. For example, if you have been driving 9 years with Axa claim free, they will only give you a NC cert showing 5+years driving without a claim.

When you ring liberty, you tell them you drove 9 years and that 5+ years cert is acceptable by them. 

In other words, they aren't giving as much discount off in the first few years as everyone else, but when your premium comes in and the quotation comes in, that 30% discount they give you off vs the 50% you are getting off with AXA means you are still getting a cheaper quote with Liberty as their base premium in which you are being calculated from is much lower in the first place.

Sorry If I cannot explain a bit better. I gave it a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think you might be misunderstanding it.

Using your own example, Liberty won't be giving you the same insurance rate until you have a 9 year NCD than others will at 5, so therefore they'll be more expensive unless you have 9+ years at least, assuming they're using the same rating system (which I do anyway).

Liberty - full discounted premium at 9 years.
    Others - full discounted premium at (usually) 5 years.

I think you might be misunderstanding it.

Using your own example, Liberty won't be giving you the same insurance rate until you have a 9 year NCD than others will at 5, so therefore they'll be more expensive unless you have 9+ years at least, assuming they're using the same rating system (which I do anyway).

Liberty - full discounted premium at 9 years.
    Others - full discounted premium at (usually) 5 years.
    Liberty insurance quotation for male at 27 year driving a 1.2litre engine is coming in at around 1200.
    Aviva is 2500 euro. Aviva offering full 50% off for 5 years driving means it comes to 1250.
    Liberty at 30% off for 5 years NCB is 780 euro. Liberty is cheaper by 400 euro as their BASE always seems to be lower than the others.
    Liberty - even back at Quinn direct days, seems to have a really low standard rate before discounts.

I could offer you 90% off for 5 years NC driving. But it's based off a 10,000 quote. So your premium after would be 1000 euro. Still 300 dearer than liberty who are offering 30% off after 5 years. On the radio my 90% sounds better than the 30% but the math suggests otherwise. I realize that is an exaggerated example to use, but go check it out, my own policy at 27 base with Aviva was 3950. WTF? With Liberty is 2400.

So basically the % off is all advertising. The numbers show a different story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement