Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gownies / bring your own hospital gown

Options
  • 17-05-2017 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Does anyone know if Irish hospitals esp the Rotunda allow you to bring in your own hospital gown like a gownie / Baby Be Mine gown?

(Disclaimer - I know this is a frivolous question, anything I labour in/ wear post partum will be fit for the bin etc BUT asking nonetheless - first time mom here!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I'm not familiar with those gowns, but most (or all) hospitals tell you to bring in your own nightie to labour in. I doubt they care what you wear really!

I just googled it, and I can't see what advantage it has over a cheap nightie you will buy in dunnes for circa €6, with buttons down the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Blndbby

I'm sure hospitals would be fine with It... I cant see them not being as you have to bring your own nightdresses anyways! I really dont see the point of the pillowcases that match the gownies though!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Absolutely fine with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

Dunnes have good nighties with buttons at front nice and loose, I wore them for breastfeeding post partum. Had own clothes for labour and hospital gown given for theatre for C section. Changed back to own nightie when back in postnatal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

It looks pretty. (I said it was frivolous!)

Sherlof3 wrote: »
    It looks pretty. (I said it was frivolous!)

If you want it, get it! The hospital won't stop you from wearing it, you'll be bringing your own labour clothes anyhow. I personally would spend the money on something frivolous for after you give birth though, because no matter how pretty the gown is, no one will notice and you're unlikely to care what you have on you either!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I gave birth in a top and bra!!! I had a granny nightie but never got changed into it. I was covered in blood and God only knows what tbh :eek: so a gownie would of gotten wrecked on me. Then they place your baby on you who is covered in goo etc...

I Remember looking gownies up while I was pregnant on my son! I am going to pjs for hospital as prefer bottoms for after the birth with the bleeding and pads!! Just normal pjs from penneys with buttons on the front.

I will buy a granny nightie (again) in a dark colour with buttons down the front for the birth but who knows....may not even have time to get into it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

They are pretty , except for the lack of buttons... tricky with the boobs, and any monitors you might get hooked up too.

I like the idea of wearing something with a nice print. The first pic of me with my babies is in this hideous blood stained tshirt. Ah well, b&w sorts it all out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Suprised that so many people were wearing anything giving birth. A lot of people I know laboured naked. Is that not fairly normal? FTM here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

nosietoes wrote: »
    Suprised that so many people were wearing anything giving birth. A lot of people I know laboured naked. Is that not fairly normal? FTM here.

I had a t shirt on which was mostly tucked up under my boobs and nothing else.
    I was completely naked from there down.
    A first time mother would have an unrealistic picture in her head of what being in labour is like and what she will look like and there's no point in correcting her at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

nosietoes wrote: »

I had 4 and wore my nightie/tshirt each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't waste your money buying a fashion/designer nightie or dressing gown. Get something from Penneys for a fiver. There's a good chance both will get doused in body fluids at some point during your visit and will only be fit for the bin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

seamus wrote: »
    I wouldn't waste your money buying a fashion/designer nightie or dressing gown. Get something from Penneys for a fiver. There's a good chance both will get doused in body fluids at some point during your visit and will only be fit for the bin.

My bridesmaid went into labour very suddenly at a posh do where she was wearing a borrowed designer very expensive maternity full length evening dress.
    Too many persnickety little buttons in the back to open to get it off her as labour progressed very quickly and a large pair of sissors was produced to get her out of it.
    End of dress.

Advertisement