Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Southampton vs Manchester United 17/5/17 k/o 19.45 SS1

• 17-05-2017 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A rematch of the EFL Cup final could well be used by Jose Mourinho as a dress-rehearsal for his European final.

Southampton find themselves drifting towards the end of a season which has proved spectacularly unspectacular for them. Having managed to mainly hang around the beige-inducing tones of mid-table, the Saints have flirted with finding a winning formula although they’ve been unable to string more than two consecutive victories together in a league campaign which has seen them struggle against the teams above them in the table. They will be offered the chance to cement an eighth placed finish with a win over United tonight though and Claude Puel and his players will have the perfect platform in this match to show that they’re still moving along in the right direction.

With two consecutive defeats in the league now, it is vital for United to shake off this losing trait and set themselves mentally after what has been a draining year for them as they approach their 33rd game since the start of January. With much noise being created around the fact that United’s only real focus this season now lies in the game against Ajax in Stockholm next Wednesday night, there is a very real possibility that Jose Mourinho will use this game to warm up many of his first-choice players for that match. Whether Mourinho can return the energy and enthusiasm back to a team that is getting swept up in malaise is the last remaining question United fans hold for this season, and this game against the Saints could go a long to way showing the answers.

Possible teams:

Southampton.

Southampton_161706.jpg

Manchester United.

ManUtd_161710.jpg

Comments

• I'd expect some more youth mixed into that Utd team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

^Would hope so. Give McTominay and Tuanzebe a game at least. Nothing to lose in tihs game. 6th place, after a shaky few hours in 5th, has been secured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭jacool

RockSalto wrote: »
    ^Would hope so. Give McTominay and Tuanzebe a game at least. Nothing to lose in tihs game. 6th place, after a shaky few hours in 5th, has been secured.
    Just backed McTominay to score, so about to give Jose a call to give him a start!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'd expect some more youth mixed into that Utd team.

I'd expect this to be as strong a team as we have tonight. This is going to be the last game for some before the EL finals, so I'd expect every fit first teamer to be getting time and treating the game seriously enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

1-0 to UNited . Mata to score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Is De Gea injured? Weird not being in squad at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

jacool wrote: »
    Just backed McTominay to score, so about to give Jose a call to give him a start!

Fingers crossed for ya!

Looks like Tuanzebe in midfield again unless there's a back three.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Nothing game , should be playing the under 23's. Just want no injuries.

Smalling breaks my heart.

• Advertisement

Oh my god, what the hellos and it should be a free too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ha outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

Good save. Wasn't a penalty

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Smalling breaks my heart.

What the hell was he at. He was even looking at the Southampton player while doing it

Good man, Romero, staking a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

will United consolidate 6th place if they win tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,362 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Useless penalty. Absolutely pathetic effort.

Haha, Bailly trying to make up for it by playing as the striker.

That was mad by Bailly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I'm coming to the end of my tether with a lot of this team. I know it's a nothing game, but you'd think the likes of Martial Mikhi and Mata would be trying to get in the team for the final, and by extension the squad next year. But they just don't look bothered, trotting around the place

• Advertisement

ScummyMan wrote: »
    I'm coming to the end of my tether with a lot of this team. I know it's a nothing game, but you'd think the likes of Martial Mikhi and Mata would be trying to get in the team for the final, and by extension the squad next year. But they just don't look bothered, trotting around the place

A lot of them have been like that for months. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

This game sucks !

It's making me laugh how often the commentator mentions "Wayne Rooney" and it's nearly immediately followed by the home crowd cheering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

You'd think Souness would tow the Sky party line a bit better and big this up for the viewers ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

A penalty for Ajax next week is almost a cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Romero in fairness is a very good keeper. Lucky to have him as backup to De Gea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

How does Rooney get away with dissent to ref's and never get carded

Ah jaysus that would have been some goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Martial has a huge amount of talent - hopefully Mourinho finds a way to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

some block from Martial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

had a feeling this would be an awful game so didn't watch but checked skysports to get score etc, the last sentence here is a beauty:

No goals and the spoils are shared. Southampton had the better chances but Romero saved a penalty and then made several stops in the second half.

Martial went closest for United when he hit the post. Southampton have now not scored at home in four successive games.

Stay tuned for highlights...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sand wrote: »
    Romero in fairness is a very good keeper. Lucky to have him as backup to De Gea.

Pity he has 0 left foot. It's a big drawback of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Utd easily one of the most negative sides to watch. At least LVG had a sense of humor.

Advertisement