Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast weekend

• 17-05-2017 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi guys
    ok i need some help planning a weekend in Belfast in August & basically I am wondering what to do
    OK I know about Titanic and yes I do plan to visit there
    And also Giants Causeway
    But what else do you recommend to see
    I want to see hidden Belfast

Also I am staying in Bangor so any recommendations please let me know

Cheers guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You cannot see hidden Belfast

It's hidden

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Visit The Crown Saloon

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get the hop-on, hop-off bus. It goes everywhere and usually has a good guide too.
    Get off wherever you like and explore.

Walk up Falls Road and see the hunger striker's graves at Milltown Cemetery

Visit St George's Market

The Palm House at the Botanic Garden

Empire Bar on Botanic Avenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭xlogo

Tour of Crumlin Road jail is well worth a visit - think you have to book ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

xlogo wrote: »
    Tour of Crumlin Road jail is well worth a visit - think you have to book ahead.

If the OP is into Johnny Cash then there's a brilliant tribute act that plays in the jail regularly but that absolutely has to be booked in advance as it's always sold out.

http://www.cashreturns.net/

(full disclosure, I know the guy but it's still true)

As for that else to do in Belfast, it depends what you're into and are you going alone, as a couple or with kids (and what ages if so)/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 emmallow

Bangor is a fair bit out from Belfast city centre (in case you're under the impression it's closer) If you're planning on going up the North Coast to the Giant's Causeway, Carrick-a-Rede, Bushmills etc that's going to take a full day in itself.

For Belfast itself - I had Glasgow friends over recently and they did the bus tour and really enjoyed it.
    Titanic is meant to be alright - maybe a bit pricey for what you get, but probably worth it if you're into it.
    Crumlin Road Jail is meant to be good now since they've done it all up.
    Crown is lovely (but full of tourists taking photos)

For something a little less touristy:
    Cathedral Quarter is generally a good shout for any anything artsy/musicy - check out listings for the Black Box, the MAC, the Oh Yeah Centre for events.
    There's a Street Art Walking Tour (I think it runs most Sundays)

If you're staying out by Bangor then you could take a trip to Holywood (only a couple of stops from you on the train) It's a lovely little town with some cool pubs on the main street and right by the beach. Not a lot to do - but might be worth an hour if you're on the train anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

SS Nomadic, moored outside the titanic centre, is much more interesting and fun that the titanic museum itself.

Also second the suggestion of St George's market - a great spot

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Barnum

Thank you to emmallow & catrionanic for your help thank you so much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

If it's a weekend, forget about the North coast, causeway etc unless it's a long weekend! That's a full day trip in itself and you may as well say up there and make the most of it in that case...

Within an hour's drive of Belfast there's Whitehead railway museum, The Gobbins Path, Cultrá folk&transport museum, Titanic Belfast, SS Nomadic, HMS Caroline, The Belfast Hills park, Cave Hill, W5, numerous bus and taxi tours, a number of forest parks and stately homes, bars, restaraunts, Belfast zoo, exploris aquarium and probably a load I'm forgetting! ;)

Give us a bit of a steer on the king of thing you like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Barnum

BeardySi wrote: »
    If it's a weekend, forget about the North coast, causeway etc unless it's a long weekend! That's a full day trip in itself and you may as well say up there and make the most of it in that case...

Within an hour's drive of Belfast there's Whitehead railway museum, The Gobbins Path, Cultrá folk&transport museum, Titanic Belfast, SS Nomadic, HMS Caroline, The Belfast Hills park, Cave Hill, W5, numerous bus and taxi tours, a number of forest parks and stately homes, bars, restaraunts, Belfast zoo, exploris aquarium and probably a load I'm forgetting! ;)

Give us a bit of a steer on the king of thing you like!

I love anything old with a bit of history attached to it the older the better
    plus I will be on my own its a solo visit i'm going for 3 nights
    I love cathedrals, museums opera that sort of thing
    didn't realize bangor was a trek from the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

Would highly recommend the Black Taxi tour.

Barnum wrote: »

You'll probably enjoy the crumlin road gaol then. You could see if there's anything good on at the grand opera house. The Belfast bus tour is actually really good and pretty interesting - belfast has quite an unusual history compared to most cities. Are you interested in the history of the troubles? The murals and the peace walk are worth a look at - and those bus tours will take you there.

It's also nice to have a stroll around Queens - beautiful gothic architecture - and then into botanic gardens next door where there's a fabulous big Victorian greenhouse. There's a museum beside the botanic gardens too. When I was a kid, there was a really mummy there... not sure if they still have it but I hear it's a good museum. The Ulster folk and transport museum is also really good - and not too far from Bangor.

If you want to pay a visit to some oldy worldy pubs, I recommend Whites Tavern in the city centre (I think it might be the oldest pub in Belfast?), as well as the duke of York and The Crown. Cathedral quarter is good for a night out, and they have the MAC museum there too.

Barnum wrote: »

Bangor is about 40 mins away by train or car.

If it's history you're after definitely go to the museum and folk park in Cultra (about halfway between Bangor and Belfast. You could easily spend a whole day there and still not see everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭zimszimer1

Seeing as this is a fairly recent thread going to jump. Hope OP doesn't mind me hijacking! :)

Myself and my OH are going to Belfast for 2 half days and 1 full day. We're on a fairly tight budget. I've booked a groupon for a black taxi tour and the Titanic experience. Any recommendations on cool free or cheap places we can get in near city centre? Want to do as much as we can. Learned from experience we get v.little done if I don't plan ahead :).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

http://nmni.com/Mobile/Museums/um

Ulster Museum is free and while it's been years since I was there I'm told it's great for a few hours.

Definitely the ulster museum. Beside it you've got the botanic gardens - lovely wee palm house. There's also a tropical ravine which may or may not have reopened yet after a major renovation.

City Hall tours are free.

Like walking? Take a dander up Cave Hill or the Belfast Hills park for fantastic views back over the city.

Go up the cave hill for breathtaking views over the city and lough. Belfast castle is on your way up and you can stroll around the gardens for free. There's a bar/coffee shop in the castle cellars for a wee pit stop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭zimszimer1

Brilliant, thanks for the recommendation! Just checked and we're actually staying really close to the museum. We'd probably have walked right passed it. If we get the weather, the walk up to Cave Hills sounds great. All on the list of things to do. Can't wait, thanks so much!

Advertisement