Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlimit fees that sneak up on you - refund please

Options
  • 17-05-2017 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I have a joint current account with the Mrs and it appears bank of Ireland sneak up on us with overlimit fees in the following way. I have redacted vendor/point of sale with xxxxxx. When have say €50 in that joint/utility account, and buy a coffee/lunch at work or the Mrs does a little shopping of small items, it appears you do not process transactions deliberately (mind you this example was Tuesday/Wednesday, local not abroad) so that we get caught out. Before spending, I may typically login in the to the app and say 'oh, I still have 20, 30, quid', or whatever amount so I should be good to pay for an item for 5 or 6 euro. Little did we know that you delay the processing so much that you hammer us with overlimit charges up to 10 euro for the several small transactions that were made when I thought I had money. I have no overdraft facility but you as a bank sneakily do not decline the payment.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]This also happened many months back on a single day when we travelled up north and your branch offered to refund me 20 out of 75 euros which I declined- I never followed that one up and lost out.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Any delays in posting transactions or failing to decline transactions should never be my fault. I can never know how much I have left to the last euro especially that this is a joint account- surely it is reasonable to expect the bank to sort this out in the background instead of sneaking up on you.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]In the following example, Mrs calls and asks me if she make a small purchase using this card, I check and say yes we have x amount of euros in their so go ahead and buy the small items you want to buy. Next evening or next day I concatenated charges. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I am aware of the following from your charges, so before you go there know that I am saying that they these a bunched up at once appears you sneak up on us:[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif](Overlimit Item charges - First overlimit item per quarter - Second and third items per quarter - Fourth and fifth items per quarter - Sixth and subsequent items per quarter No Charge €3.50 each €5.00 each €10.00 each. Source: personalbanking.bankofireland.com/app/uploads/2016/01/OMI009265-PCA-Fees-Charges-Nov-2016-Digital-FINAL.pdf)[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Here is my issue in figures and charge patterns by my beloved bank (parts of statement redacted):[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Date                 Desc                                  Debit               bal.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]10/05/2017      CHG-OVRLIMIT ITEM 10        10                -117.84[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]10/05/2017      CHG-OVRLIMIT ITEM 9          10                    [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]10/05/2017      POSC08MAY xxxxxxx            11.94                   [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]10/05/2017      POSC08MAY xxxxxxxx            8.54                 [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      CHG-OVRLIMIT ITEM 8         10                   -77.36[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      CHG-OVRLIMIT ITEM 7         10                    [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      CHG-OVRLIMIT ITEM 6         10                    [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      CHG-OVRLIMIT ITEM 5           5                      [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POS06MAY xxxxxxx                6.12                     [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POS04MAY xxxxxxxxxxx         5                      [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POS06MAY xxxxxxx                5.20                     [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POS07MAY xxxxxxxx              5.50                     [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POSC05MAY xxxxxxx              6.5                       [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POSC05MAY xxxxxxxxx        14.61               [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POSC05MAY xxxxxxxx          21.98               [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POSC06MAY xxxxxxx           16.42                   [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POSC07MAY xxxxxxxx         19.65               [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]08/05/2017      POSC04MAY xxxxxxxx         10.30               58.62[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I need someone to talk to resolve this and regulators or powers that be to have a look at this if not resolved. I imagine it happens to a lot of people and might be bringing in more revenue than credit cards.[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

jeremysia wrote: »
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I have a joint current account with the Mrs and it appears bank of Ireland sneak up on us with overlimit fees in the following way. I have redacted vendor/point of sale with xxxxxx. When have say €50 in that joint/utility account, and buy a coffee/lunch at work or the Mrs does a little shopping of small items, it appears you do not process transactions deliberately (mind you this example was Tuesday/Wednesday, local not abroad) so that we get caught out. Before spending, I may typically login in the to the app and say 'oh, I still have 20, 30, quid', or whatever amount so I should be good to pay for an item for 5 or 6 euro. Little did we know that you delay the processing so much that you hammer us with overlimit charges up to 10 euro for the several small transactions that were made when I thought I had money. I have no overdraft facility but you as a bank sneakily do not decline the payment.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]This also happened many months back on a single day when we travelled up north and your branch offered to refund me 20 out of 75 euros which I declined- I never followed that one up and lost out.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Any delays in posting transactions or failing to decline transactions should never be my fault. I can never know how much I have left to the last euro especially that this is a joint account- surely it is reasonable to expect the bank to sort this out in the background instead of sneaking up on you.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]In the following example, Mrs calls and asks me if she make a small purchase using this card, I check and say yes we have x amount of euros in their so go ahead and buy the small items you want to buy. Next evening or next day I concatenated charges. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I am aware of the following from your charges, so before you go there know that I am saying that they these a bunched up at once appears you sneak up on us:[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif](Overlimit Item charges - First overlimit item per quarter - Second and third items per quarter - Fourth and fifth items per quarter - Sixth and subsequent items per quarter No Charge €3.50 each €5.00 each €10.00 each. Source: personalbanking.bankofireland.com/app/uploads/2016/01/OMI009265-PCA-Fees-Charges-Nov-2016-Digital-FINAL.pdf)[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Here is my issue in figures and charge patterns by my beloved bank (parts of statement redacted):[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Date                 Desc                                  Debit               bal.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]10/05/2017      CHG-OVRLIMIT ITEM 10        10                -117.84[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]10/05/2017      CHG-OVRLIMIT ITEM 9          10                    [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]10/05/2017      POSC08MAY xxxxxxx            11.94                   [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]10/05/2017      POSC08MAY xxxxxxxx            8.54                 [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      CHG-OVRLIMIT ITEM 8         10                   -77.36[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      CHG-OVRLIMIT ITEM 7         10                    [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      CHG-OVRLIMIT ITEM 6         10                    [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      CHG-OVRLIMIT ITEM 5           5                      [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POS06MAY xxxxxxx                6.12                     [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POS04MAY xxxxxxxxxxx         5                      [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POS06MAY xxxxxxx                5.20                     [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POS07MAY xxxxxxxx              5.50                     [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POSC05MAY xxxxxxx              6.5                       [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POSC05MAY xxxxxxxxx        14.61               [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POSC05MAY xxxxxxxx          21.98               [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POSC06MAY xxxxxxx           16.42                   [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]09/05/2017      POSC07MAY xxxxxxxx         19.65               [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]08/05/2017      POSC04MAY xxxxxxxx         10.30               58.62[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I need someone to talk to resolve this and regulators or powers that be to have a look at this if not resolved. I imagine it happens to a lot of people and might be bringing in more revenue than credit cards.[/font]

Not to be rude, but it is your responsibility to know what your spending is and what is in your account. And it is actually the retailers that process the charges, not the bank, so it depends when X retailer presents payment to their bank, who then would present to your card/account. Generally speaking, wireless/contactless payments take a little longer to process, so maybe start using the pin. I would also see if you can get an SMS sent when your account reaches a certain balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

[/quote]
    Not to be rude, but it is your responsibility to know what your spending is and what is in your account. And it is actually the retailers that process the charges, not the bank, so it depends when X retailer presents payment to their bank, who then would present to your card/account. Generally speaking, wireless/contactless payments take a little longer to process, so maybe start using the pin. I would also see if you can get an SMS sent when your account reaches a certain balance.[/quote]

You both might want to take a look at this thread I created last month about this issue re. processing of transactions by BOI. Transactions that appear to be fully processed are disappearing, only to be represented on your account later on....

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057729480

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

So what? Just put more money in your account. Either that or ask them to put a strict zero overdraft limit on your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Same issue here. Absolutely ridiculous charges. I've complained several times to them and their response was a generic "you'll receive a overlimit charge if there isn't sufficient funds in your account.".

retweet wrote: »
    Same issue here. Absolutely ridiculous charges. I've complained several times to them and their response was a generic "you'll receive a overlimit charge if there isn't sufficient funds in your account.".
    People can't budget, spend too much, blame someone else and demand refunds. Welcome to the 21st century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

People can't budget, spend too much, blame someone else and demand refunds. Welcome to the 21st century.

I didn't ask nor did I expect a refund. I just asked them to stop the overdraft from happening if possible. It's very annoying when you use contactless and the transaction doesn't appear/debit for 3 days.

KBC contactless transactions are debited straight away. Some of the main Irish banks are very backwards when it comes to new products/technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I didn't ask nor did I expect a refund. I just asked them to stop the overdraft from happening if possible. It's very annoying when you use contactless and the transaction doesn't appear/debit for 3 days.

KBC contactless transactions are debited straight away. Some of the main Irish banks are very backwards when it comes to new products/technology.

The OP is asking for a refund though.

Sorry if I misrepresented you, was unintentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

You're missing the point. The account balance should be accurate and up to date at all times. It used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

This is a timing problem between the shadow posting and the permanent posting. The way the system works is that when a customer does a point of sale transaction e.g. in a shop, online or at an ATM, the balance is supposed to update fairly quickly, and a generic transaction applied. This is to the shadow. The shadow transaction is debited, and remains on the system till the retailer sends through the permanent transaction. On the night that the permanent transaction has been received, if you logged on late at night, you'd see two transactions on the account - one is the shadow transactions and the other is the permanent transaction. However, the underlying balance is only debited once. The following morning, there is only one transaction on the account, and the shadow transaction has dropped off. In a situation like now, where the transaction disappears, and the balance goes back up, as if the transaction was never there, says that the shadow transaction is being dropped off before the permanent posting has applied. Either there is something wrong with the way the shadow is working, or the retailer is being given longer to put through their file. I seem to recall that the retailer only had something like three days before to put through their transaction, and then it was tough sh1t if they left it too long. Overlimit charges are justified if you knowingly go over your limit, but they should not be charged if there are problems with the system, and unreliable balances

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi All,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.

When you make purchases with your Visa Debit Card, the transaction amount should show instantly on your account. If you're logged in on your browser, this will be showing in the pending payments section within your transaction history. 

The pending transaction will need to be fully processed by the retailer, generally this will take 3-5 working days. Unfortunately, we have no control over when the retailer decides to complete the transaction. It's also possible when debited in pending transactions, it can disappear from the account after a few days and reappear when the retailer puts it through on their side. Once fully processed the payment will move to your completed transactions. We totally understand this may cause some confusion for you. 

We are aware with contactless payments, these can take up to 5 working days to appear on the account.

If you are having difficulties with your pending/ completed transactions you can send a query or call BOI Direct.  To query your account online, once logged in you can select Service Desk facility and then from the drop down menu Ask A Question. A colleague with account access will be happy to assist. 

Alternatively you can call BOI Direct on 0818 365 365 / 00353 140 44000. Our colleagues are available Mon-Fri 8am-12 midnight, Weekends & Bank Holidays 9am-6pm.

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jeremysia

Hi All,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.

When you make purchases with your Visa Debit Card, the transaction amount should show instantly on your account. If you're logged in on your browser, this will be showing in the pending payments section within your transaction history. 

The pending transaction will need to be fully processed by the retailer, generally this will take 3-5 working days. Unfortunately, we have no control over when the retailer decides to complete the transaction. It's also possible when debited in pending transactions, it can disappear from the account after a few days and reappear when the retailer puts it through on their side. Once fully processed the payment will move to your completed transactions. We totally understand this may cause some confusion for you. 

We are aware with contactless payments, these can take up to 5 working days to appear on the account.

If you are having difficulties with your pending/ completed transactions you can send a query or call BOI Direct.  To query your account online, once logged in you can select Service Desk facility and then from the drop down menu Ask A Question. A colleague with account access will be happy to assist. 

Alternatively you can call BOI Direct on 0818 365 365 / 00353 140 44000. Our colleagues are available Mon-Fri 8am-12 midnight, Weekends & Bank Holidays 9am-6pm.

Many Thanks
    Alison
    Thanks Alison,
    I'll get in touch with contact centre/branch.

Advertisement