Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found an abandoned house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Ok I'm probably not going to do anything with it so I will just show you guys where it is..

It's in Portrane on the Burrow Road beside the pub.

Here is a pin drop on google maps: imgur.com/a/U1X48

And here is the street view from 2009: imgur.com/a/8HGj6

I went up there 2 days ago to check it out and the ivy/vines are now covering most of the front of the house and hasn't been touched since 2009.

I'm thinking that maybe the HSE own it due to it's close proximity to St. Ita's?

What do you guys reckon??

When you said the only neighbor was a pub i was imagining a place out in the wilderness, sure there are loads of houses nearby! Not a hope you'd get into that place for over a decade without someone coming forward :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I hate this though, prime beach front property left to go to sh*t, so much potential! whoever owns it should be ashamed!

Probably involved in some family dispute and lots of greasy fingers clawing at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

It's in a bit of state so would not currently be habitable, might take about 2-3k to get it in any way decent enough to live in..

There is optimistic and then there is ^^^

I bought a do-er upper and it was lived in until I bought it. I easily spent 25k and that's with me doing all the work including wiring, plastering, tiling etc.

**IF** you managed to acquire that house you would have to knock it or completely gut it. With no heating or habitation the entire house would probably be rotting... it would be an absolute death trap IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It could be occupied by some rare colony of bats and cannot be touched

• Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hi guys,

So I have found an abandoned house in the north Dublin area. I'm trying to find out who owns it as it has been abandoned for more than 10 years now and has vines growing all over it! It is in a nice location so I am interested in buying.

Now here is were it gets weird. I checked on landdirect to see if there was a folio number for the plot of land the house is built on but there was nothing! Like if you click on the land its like clicking on the sea i.e no owner/folio whatsoever.

I also checked the fingal planning map to see if there has ever been any planning applications on the place and there was nothing at all, not even historically.

So now I am thinking that this place is just completely forgotten about and unowned, maybe I could just start renovating it and hopefully after 12 years will own it through adverse possession??

Any advice?

hmmmm I wonder is this the same abandoned house that I have been keeping my eye on...

• Advertisement

cursai wrote: »
    And the site is prob worth about 400,000euro. But sure stick a tent up for 13 years.

wouldn't be so sure about that - Portrane is hardly a 'des res'

It's not the same one btw

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

OP, while youve been given fairly well intentioned advice on this thread Id strongly recommend that you speak to a solicitor before doing anything drastic. Specifically, ask them about civil claims for trespass to land before you, you know, trespass on someone elses land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

OP, while youve been given fairly well intentioned advice on this thread Id strongly recommend that you speak to a solicitor before doing anything drastic. Specifically, ask them about civil claims for trespass to land before you, you know, trespass on someone elses land.

Yeah I've already said I'm not going for it, but thanks for the advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

It would make a great site. Surrounded by public land too so nobody could build next to you.

I bet its owned by the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Demolition will require Planning Permission
    Check County Development Plan maps to see if it has any particular status.
    Check County Council to see if it is/was listed as derelict - its not quite that isnce the windows are boarded up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

PMBC wrote: »
    Demolition will require Planning Permission
    Check County Development Plan maps to see if it has any particular status.
    Check County Council to see if it is/was listed as derelict - its not quite that isnce the windows are boarded up

isnt it the case that if adjudicated derelict , you have to obtain planing permission to do anything ?, even to restore it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I imagine some developer bought it back in the day to build a small apartment block on it and either permission or finances didn't work out so they are sitting on it.
    Windows and doors all properly boarded up, and probably only a few years ago by the look of their condition.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I imagine some developer bought it back in the day to build a small apartment block on it and either permission or finances didn't work out so they are sitting on it.
    Windows and doors all properly boarded up, and probably only a few years ago by the look of their condition.

Bear in mind that image was taken 8 years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Bear in mind that image was taken 8 years ago..

also OP stated there have been no PP applications for the site. If it had changed hands anytime recently it would be in the land registry too.

Some sort of long forgotten inheritance dispute seems most likely; or it's owned by the council or other public body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I would recommend a trial run squatting, to see if you're hunted out. There's more info on that here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64451

If you can get in and replace the boards, you could clean it out on the inside and set up a camping-like setup to squat in, making small improvements to it as time goes on. You'd want to start soon though, if you want to own it by 2030. Have some post delivered to it (you'll have to install a letterbox somewhere) so that you can prove you've been there all along.

I think it's a wonderful idea. Mods should maybe consider taking down the address of the place so nobody else snatches it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

Op it doesn't matter that you no longer want to do this, I demand that you do. More importantly, for the sake of boards users everywhere who have no more runs of room to improve to watch this year. Think of it like a treasure hunt and report back to us every time you've found a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

koumi wrote: »
    Op it doesn't matter that you no longer want to do this, I demand that you do. More importantly, for the sake of boards users everywhere who have no more runs of room to improve to watch this year. Think of it like a treasure hunt and report back to us every time you've found a clue.

Agreed;

This could've easily surpassed the "I found a safe thread " in anticipation and execution.

cue pink panther sleuth music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hammy007

It's in Portrane on the Burrow Road beside the pub.

What do you guys reckon??

Ooh, I love this place :) We walk by it sometimes and always think what a shame it is that it's boarded up. Pretty soon with the rate of the coastal erosion there, the ocean will be at the door though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Bigus wrote: »
    Agreed;

This could've easily surpassed the "I found a safe thread " in anticipation and execution.

Imagine he went actually went ahead, got in, kept us updated, then actually found a safe hidden under the floor boards.. the F5 key would be worn out :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Imagine living there for 11 years and 11 months,spending untold tens of thousands doing it up,only for the owner to rock up and reclaim it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

vandriver wrote: »
    Imagine living there for 11 years and 11 months,spending untold tens of thousands doing it up,only for the owner to rock up and reclaim it!

Imagine living there quietly the last few years, causing noone trouble, like an innocent hemit, only to see online that someone wants to break into their house cause no one is looking.

Advertisement