Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mooring in Dublin

• 17-05-2017 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking at options for mooring a boat in Dublin and it's hard to find information about it, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. A marina is out of my budget for the moment but I have lots of time off planned over the summer and I have my eye on a 22ft sailing boat to potter around on, it's a bilge keel so a tidal area is ok.

I see boats moored just passed Poolbeg marina, outside Malahide Marina and at the sailing club in Clontarf, I remember seeing a few other clusters close to harbours or marinas. Are these private or do you have to talk to a local authority or local harbour master? I'm presuming that it's not legal to just drop a mooring somewhere?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi and welcome, your best bet would be to talk to local authority and sailing club. Putting down a mooring can be quite expensive and you have to make sure your swing at low tide doesn't interfere with any other boats or paths that the fishermen use. Most places are full around Dublin and I know in Skerries some boats are out of the full protection of the harbour and often get washed up on the beach after a big storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I know the National Yacht Club in Dun Laoghaire has spare moorings along the east pier available this year.

I'm sure getting one would involve membership of some description, so maybe not what you're after - but might be worth enquiring about maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I know the National Yacht Club in Dun Laoghaire has spare moorings along the east pier available this year.

I'm sure getting one would involve membership of some description, so maybe not what you're after - but might be worth enquiring about maybe?

Same in howth the club have a good few morings free but need membership . You could try the harbour masters office and see if they have anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Loads of space over in Clontarf, very tidal so bilge keel is ideal, ask the Dublin port co about dropping a brick and chain off around there in the mud. Much safer than over in poolbeg from all the ships prop wash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Flanders536

hytrogen wrote: »
    Loads of space over in Clontarf, very tidal so bilge keel is ideal, ask the Dublin port co about dropping a brick and chain off around there in the mud. Much safer than over in poolbeg from all the ships prop wash

I'm sailing out of Clontarf, if you do plan to drop here, you could contact Peter Reilly (He is the boatman for Clontarf Yacht & Boat Club). He is very helpful and could give you quite a bit of information on the dept, chain length, type of ground anchor to use (train wheel/tyre ect).

Also if it's just a temporary mooring you're looking for there may be one spare you could use, again I would speak to Peter first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

Good advice from everyone, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Try Poolbeg and also try the motor yacht club in Dun Laoghaire -- Moorings in Poolbeg are cheap! But very hard to get.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Poolbeg has recently suffered a hit from the ferry that swings in the river in front of it, I haven't heard good things about the state of the place (before or after), some of the boats there have moved to the marina in Dun Laoghaire. The DMYC is the cheapest club in Dun Laoghaire and worth considering, certainly a fraction of what the other three clubs charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Try Poolbeg and also try the motor yacht club in Dun Laoghaire -- Moorings in Poolbeg are cheap! But very hard to get.

€10 less per meter per annum compared to fun laoghaire marina, Malahide isn't much competitive either

Advertisement