Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fine Gael Leadership: Contest or Coronation?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭vimalandrew

Google CEO is indian,
    Microsoft CEO is indian
    Irish taoiseach is indian origin,
    Next American president will be indian.( Bobby jindal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

AnGaelach wrote: »
    Living in a rural area.

Yes, but people vote for the local politician more so than for the party leader.
    No way will a traditional FG supporter vote FF or SF instead, just because of who the Taoiseach fancies.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Honestly, I don't know what all this anti-gay talk is about!

He will likely be Taoiseach for the next few years until the next election. They are likely be difficult years for government what with Brexit and all the other issues at the moment. I suspect people will vote for him and his party based on how they handle all of this over the next few years, rather then who he fancies!

Two years from now, his sexual orientation will likely be rightfully completely forgotten about.

What I'm interested in knowing, is will he finally get Metro North started in earnest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

He better start it soon, it and the M20, one of which he cancelled the enabling works six years ago and one of which he cancelled. IMO he should have lost his seat for those decisions. We don't have a Metro North today because of Varadkar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

not an fg supporter by any means and the sooner they're out of govt. the better, happy to see leo get the nod far better option of the two, but its sad to see that all anyone has to say about it is where he prefers to put his knob, the fact a mans sexual orientation is even a talking point in this discussion seems awful backward to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Surely rural people vote for the guy/gal that fixed the parish pump, or at least promised to fix it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Calina wrote: »
    He better start it soon, it and the M20, one of which he cancelled the enabling works six years ago and one of which he cancelled. IMO he should have lost his seat for those decisions. We don't have a Metro North today because of Varadkar.

Yeah, because Varadkar on his own made those decisions.

Metro North was planned in the height of the boom. There simply wasn't any money for it. M20 I can't really comment on, but he didn't make those decisions for the craic.

Let's tone down on the hyperbole, like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

cml387 wrote: »
    Surely they would be looking for votes from 100% of the electorate. Whether they get them is of course another issue.

However there is a trend to these things.

In 1990 it was thought we'd never elect a woman president. Then when we did we were all immensely proud of ourselves.
    It was thought we wouldn't vote for gay marriage and then when we did we were all immensely proud of ourselves again.
    Sometimes we can surprise ourselves.
    We're a fundamentally decent and fair people. The Catholic church's influence was a blip in thousands of years of our history and will fade into memory soon enough.

If Fine Gael becomes the urban party it will just be because Ireland is urbanising. Most people in rural Ireland aren't homophobic either but I'd agree that the percentage is higher outside urban centres.

Personally I'd love a national party to focus more on our urban areas.

Advertisement