Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to a new job.... reference?

Options
  • 17-05-2017 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

I work in an industry where ' everyone knows everyone'. It's a very small community but quite open minded. I will shortly be interviewing for a new job. This is because my current contract will shortly come to an end....the relationship with my employer has broken down as I have been bullied. In addition to this he sent me a text.... about me ... to me.... by accident...it contains nasty comments about me.

Most likely what my boss will do is to not offer me another fixed term contract when this one expires in July. I believe this is because he is mortified by the text he sent and it reveals the true him and he doesn't want to have to face me over it or face me i n work anymore even though he has told me I am a good worker and happy with my performance.

I have not yet been informed that my contract will not been renewed but I know it is coming so I'm looking for a new job.....

So what will I say when I go for the new interview? What reason will i say that I am looking for a new job? I do not want to diss my last employer. I do not want to.use the bully word as it looks bad ..... on me and on them......what reason can I give that I am not staying there.....what do I say when it comes to references.... I do not want to get a bad reference ... I do not want my employer to know that I am seeking a new job .... what do I do if the new employer asks for a current reference.... I don't want to leave it too late ....i know that this is coming and I don't want to be left with no job.

So what do I say when it comes to why I am staying and the reference.....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Wesser wrote: »
    I work in an industry where ' everyone knows everyone'. It's a very small community but quite open minded. I will shortly be interviewing for a new job. This is because my current contract will shortly come to an end....the relationship with my employer has broken down as I have been bullied. In addition to this he sent me a text.... about me ... to me.... by accident...it contains nasty comments about me.

Most likely what my boss will do is to not offer me another fixed term contract when this one expires in July. I believe this is because he is mortified by the text he sent and it reveals the true him and he doesn't want to have to face me over it or face me i n work anymore even though he has told me I am a good worker and happy with my performance.

I have not yet been informed that my contract will not been renewed but I know it is coming so I'm looking for a new job.....

So what will I say when I go for the new interview? What reason will i say that I am looking for a new job? I do not want to diss my last employer. I do not want to.use the bully word as it looks bad ..... on me and on them......what reason can I give that I am not staying there.....what do I say when it comes to references.... I do not want to get a bad reference ... I do not want my employer to know that I am seeking a new job .... what do I do if the new employer asks for a current reference.... I don't want to leave it too late ....i know that this is coming and I don't want to be left with no job.

So what do I say when it comes to why I am staying and the reference.....?

I would suggest that you have your employer by the b**** tell him you want a good reference or you'll report him!! It's bullying and you have clear evidence, if you're in an organisation you could report him and have him sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

dar100 wrote: »
    I would suggest that you have your employer by the b**** tell him you want a good reference or you'll report him!! It's bullying and you have clear evidence, if you're in an organisation you could report him and have him sacked

He is the boss. There is no one over him.
    Like I said it's a small community. I don't want to make myself as troublemaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Wesser wrote:
    He is the boss. There is no one over him. Like I said it's a small community. I don't want to make myself as troublemaker.

Yes but you have clear evidence of what he has been doing so make sure before you go here provides you with an excellent written reference. He cannot dispute a written reference and he'll provide it because you could take him to the cleaners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

He is the boss. There is no one over him.
    Like I said it's a small community. I don't want to make myself as troublemaker.

Seriously talk about identifying with the aggressor:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Yes but you have clear evidence of what he has been doing so make sure before you go here provides you with an excellent written reference. He cannot dispute a written reference and he'll provide it because you could take him to the cleaners.

How can he be taken to the cleaners? He's not breaking the contract. There's no right to a follow on contract. - He could look at defamation, but what is the loss?

For the op - if its a tight industry then your current employer may be known as a bit of a bo11ox. Simply give details of current employer, if they do check up he'll probably give good ref as he knows you have the text. Legally he can't give a bad one, but could just say "yes he worked here" - employer speak for "don't employ them"

As for reason, just say contract is up and you want a different challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I would suggest a meeting with him as a sort of clear the air. Ask him outright what his assessment of your performance is. Tell him you feel he doesn't want you there and so you're looking elsewhere and a good reference will help him essentially get rid of you.

If he reacts negatively you could highlight that the text message reflects very poorly on him and (I don't want to attempt to give legal advise) but he may have given you an opportunity for recourse. Someone more knowledgeable may be able to clarify if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Thanks for all your answers. Very good insight in to the situation.

But realistically I am.not look I g for advice on how to deal with him. I just want advice on what I will say to next employer. Like literally, what words to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NRR

In terms of the potential new employer asking why you're seeking employment, simply indicating your current contract is coming to a close and you're looking for a new/exciting opportunity should suffice. They might try to dig further, but you can be pretty diplomatic in your wording (i.e. rather than indicating you want to move on because you don't have a contract renewal, talk about gaining more breadth in experience, or speak to what you like about the potential new company, etc.)

In terms of references, is there anyone else at your current job that you can trust as a reference if needed? Generally speaking, your work references don't NEED to be your direct "boss". They can be co-workers, other managers, even your own direct reports (if/when that applies).

Definitely do not start harping on your old job/boss, and if for some reason it does come out, be as diplomatic and even about it as possible. It can be a red flag for some interviewers if you start talking down about previous jobs, largely because it's impossible for them to get a "full picture" in a short period.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Thanks for all your answers. Very good insight in to the situation.

But realistically I am.not look I g for advice on how to deal with him. I just want advice on what I will say to next employer. Like literally, what words to say.

My contract is finishing up in July so I looking for something news. That's all you would be expected to say.

Advertisement