Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road bike V Hybrid

Options
  • 17-05-2017 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

I've started cycling to work since January on my trusty 7 year old Mountain Bike and I need an upgrade! My commute is 25km all round and quite hilly on the way home.

I've been in few bike shops and google etc and cant make up my mind between a road bike or a hybrid although I am leaning towards a road bike.

I'm going to be commuting 2-3 times a week minimum and possibly some exercise on weekends. I'm eligible for cycle to work scheme so I have up to €1,000.

Any one have any advise in relation to which type of bike or any recommendations. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I'd go for a road bike myself especially if your intention is to use it at the weekend for spins. Just make sure you get mudguards which most road bikes don't come with from the shop/online.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Road bike, no reservations...

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

road if you only intend going on paved roads, but if you want to do the greenways and other off-road routes, then hybrid...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Having used a hybrid for years commuting and only recently switched to a road bike - go with the road bike, 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Road bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭talla10

Fairly definitive! Thanks for your input

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I wonder if a touring bike might be worth considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭josip

Fwiw, I'm happy with my hybrid for a 20km round trip commute.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/boardman-hybrid-team-just-in-43674/
    I find the flat bars give me a more upright position than I can get on the drops.
    In traffic I also like having the brake levers at my finger tips and having a widish span on the bars. Some prefer a narrower set of bars for squeezing through traffic.
    I've also got a hilly commute and am happy with the disc brakes on wet days.
    I do find them tricky to align though when I'm putting a wheel back on.
    I also take it out at the weekends for fun spins, but nothing more than 40km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Here's what I'd do based solely on my own experience.

I use both!.

The €1000 cycle to work scheme is the cheapest money you'll ever get, spend every penny of it (and then some more) on a road bike, and for your commute buy a second hand good quality hybrid.

A road bike is great for training, great speed over a hybrid etc, but they're a pain in the arse to carry stuff on (compared to the hybrid) if you've to carry stuff to and from work on your commute.

It can be done, and most of us here have done it. But its easier to commute on a hybrid (I'm probably talking city and suburban traffic), and its easier to cycle faster and push out the distance on a road bike.

A hybrid is more comfortable over that distance commuting than a road bike IMO.

My hybrid is used probably 85% of the time and the road bike is used for the other 15% ~ my cycle to work is almost up and although I spend so little time on the road bike compared to the hybrid I'll still use it again for a really good road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I think Makikomi sums it up perfectly. I find commuting with the road bike to be a bit of a balls mainly due to the discomfort factor (crappy roads around Cork city & suburbs). I've fitted the race blades onto the road bike so I'm OK for the poor weather.

In saying that the road bike gets more use at weekends obviously and for that reason you might get more bang for your buck if you purchase a road bike but if you could stretch it to a road bike and a decent second hand hybrid I think you'd have the best of both worlds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Gorteen wrote: »
    I wonder if a touring bike might be worth considering?

This seems like a good option to consider if you're carrying gear and dealing with rough roads, similarly a CX or gravel bike. I switched from road to CX bike as my main go to bike for the bulk of my cycling for similar reasons. A bit slower than the road bike, but with wider tyres can handle all sorts of crappy surface comfortably (even Irish cycle lanes!), and my one can take a rack as needs be. I've a hybrid bike which is now my hack, but was my main bike starting out. Personally, I'd prefer drop bars for any amount of cycling for comfort and being able handle very windy conditions far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I use a hybrid to commute and a road bike for weekends.

I would 100% go with road for a commuter if I were buying from a blank slate. I use the hybrid only because it is cheaper/less precious than my road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Have to agree with smacl and Gorteen but it depends what kind of cycling you plan to do at the weekends talla10?
    I went from a Aluminium Hybrid (9 years commuting 22km a day) to a Steel frame road bike "a light touring" bike. It is far more comfortable, only sorry I stayed with the hybrid that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i love how many responses suggested 2 bikes!

i would agree though with suggestions not to limit yourself to €1k if you can afford more. you'll still get the tax saving on the first €1k but i think you notice a big jump in quality a little bit above that price point.

i've commuted on all types of bike, am currently on my first hybrid. i don't find it slower than the cx i was on previously, but i did spend a decent bit on it so expected it to move pretty well tbf. i do however find it less comfortable than my road bike or CX but am tied to it because of the type of child seat i got for the creche run..i also use a road bike at weekends and have an MTB for occasional messing about!

i wouldn't go with a hybrid if i could have only 1 bike but that's because i like to go on long weekend spins.

there are probably a couple of other considerations for you...

- what's the road surface like on your commute? if rough enough then i'd lean towards CX or hybrid. you could easily go for decent weekend spins on a CX, having a similar riding position to a road bike but would sacrifice some speed
    - do you want to carry a bag on your back or use a pannier? if pannier then i'd again lean towards CX or hybrid
    - when you say possibly some exercise on the weekends, are you taking about short leisurely spins or maybe aiming to stretch out to longer distances and more hilly routes?

the advice about getting full length mudguards fitted is also a must imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Best decision I made was to buy a cyclocross bike for both commuting and weekend spins, having spent a long time using a hybrid for commute and road bike at weekends. I have full length mudguards, interrupt brake levers on the tops, and use 25mm/28mm tyres (4 Seasons). It's set up for a rack, but I took it off and can get my work gear in a backpack most of the time.

I probably have to push a bit harder on the weekend spins with the extra weight and mudguards, compared with a 'proper' road bike. Great to have mudguards when the roads are wet, but I wish the folks I cycle with had them too. It might be possible to get guards that are easy to put on and take off, but I haven't gone looking for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

i love how many responses suggested 2 bikes!

If you have one good bike, probably also worth having a cheap hack for shops and other small trips where it will be locked outside in public areas. For a commute, where the bike is going to be parked is also an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Best decision I made was to buy a cyclocross bike for both commuting and weekend spins, having spent a long time using a hybrid for commute and road bike at weekends. I have full length mudguards, interrupt brake levers on the tops, and use 25mm/28mm tyres (4 Seasons). It's set up for a rack, but I took it off and can get my work gear in a backpack most of the time.

I probably have to push a bit harder on the weekend spins with the extra weight and mudguards, compared with a 'proper' road bike. Great to have mudguards when the roads are wet, but I wish the folks I cycle with had them too. It might be possible to get guards that are easy to put on and take off, but I haven't gone looking for them.

+1 for this.

https://www.theedge-sports.com/bikes-c18/bikes-c19/cyclocross-bikes-c25/cube-cross-race-black-white-2017-p14115

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Ok, so the OP needs at least 3 bikes then? Road, Hybrid, CX/Touring or Gravel :)

smacl wrote: »
    If you have one good bike, probably also worth having a cheap hack for shops and other small trips where it will be locked outside in public areas. For a commute, where the bike is going to be parked is also an issue.

i know and i don't disagree, i have 3 :)

it's the classic cycling forum response, "what bike should i get?"..."get two!!"
    just like n+1 always being the correct number of bikes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭talla10

Thanks for all the input. I'm cycling from Tallaght to City Centre so a lot of cycle lanes as I've found arent much use and invariably full of glass!

For the weekend id be cycling maybe 15-20km ideally maybe longer as fitness increases.

The bike will be stored inside my work building and as safe as houses so don't need to worry about that.

I think I'll go with a road bike over hybrid. Had already intended to get mud guards and decent lights front and rear can't see me having anything left over after that!

Thanks for all the replies I don't have much knowledge about bikes so cheers

• Advertisement

if you want advice on specific bikes feel free to post links or ask for recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Ok, so the OP needs at least 3 bikes then? Road, Hybrid, CX/Touring or Gravel :)
    I would also not rule out a recumbent in the event the OP would like a wee lie-down on the way home
    recumbent-5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I'll commute on a CX/gravel bike forever. More upright riding position than a road bike, wider tyres and eyelets for mudguards. I only keep my hybrid as a beater now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd tend to go with a hybrid if your commute is mostly in traffic, with lots of stopping and braking. Whichever way you go, make sure your bike is geared up for commuting - rack, mudguards, dynamo lights, kick stand, great brakes (disc for me), strong lock.

Advertisement