Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gestational diabetes-glucometer

Options
  • 17-05-2017 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Just found out I failed GTT so have GD, does anyone know if hospital supplies glucometer or do I have to buy one? Im in Limerick if that helps

I don't mind either way but if I have to get it myself I can do it now as opposed to waiting until hospital appointment next week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Just found out I failed GTT so have GD, does anyone know if hospital supplies glucometer or do I have to buy one? Im in Limerick if that helps

I don't mind either way but if I have to get it myself I can do it now as opposed to waiting until hospital appointment next week

Hospitals may supply them, however Bayer supply contour glucometers free of charge to pharmacies so you shouldn't have to pay for one.
    Just go in and ask for one, explain your old one is broke.

They come with 10 test strips and lancets, the rest would need to be gotten on prescription.
    Covered on the GMS scheme for those with medical cards. Also covered on the DPS scheme for those without as its 20-30 euro or so for a box of 50 test strips.

If you've to test a number of times a day, the latest contour glucometer is excellent. It's called the contour next one. Links with a smart phone app via Bluetooth, lights up green for good, red for too low and yellow for too high. However it's the data that it sends to the app where it comes into its own. Very clear and visual. Quite handy for the diabetes team though as they get a really clear visual of how you're managing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Hospitals may supply them, however Bayer supply contour glucometers free of charge to pharmacies so you shouldn't have to pay for one.
    Just go in and ask for one, explain your old one is broke.

They come with 10 test strips and lancets, the rest would need to be gotten on prescription.
    Covered on the GMS scheme for those with medical cards. Also covered on the DPS scheme for those without as its 20-30 euro or so for a box of 50 test strips.

If you've to test a number of times a day, the latest contour glucometer is excellent. It's called the contour next one. Links with a smart phone app via Bluetooth, lights up green for good, red for too low and yellow for too high. However it's the data that it sends to the app where it comes into its own. Very clear and visual. Quite handy for the diabetes team though as they get a really clear visual of how you're managing.

Thanks for all the info!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Thanks for all the info!!

I hope I didn't come across as a shill for contour by the way.
    I simply like them because they're the only company who don't make me jump through a million and one hoops to get a couple of glucometers for patients.

Advertisement