Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lens Implants Mater Private

• 17-05-2017 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Anybody on here got lens implants instead of laser eye surgery? If so, what was your experience of it? I am too short sighted for laser and lens implants are the only option for me other than a lifetime of contacts/glasses. I do not mind wearing contacts (have all day/night from specsavers) but I can not wear them in the job I am applying for. The lens implants are really expensive (6000 euro) but I am willing to pay it if it's worth it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Maz2016

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Anybody on here got lens implants instead of laser eye surgery? If so, what was your experience of it? I am too short sighted for laser and lens implants are the only option for me other than a lifetime of contacts/glasses. I do not mind wearing contacts (have all day/night from specsavers) but I can not wear them in the job I am applying for. The lens implants are really expensive (6000 euro) but I am willing to pay it if it's worth it.

Do you not have health insurance? Plus if you need lens implants you could try go public? I know people that had it done in the Mater public. I'm going to get them done as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Do you not have health insurance? Plus if you need lens implants you could try go public? I know people that had it done in the Mater public. I'm going to get them done as well.

Yeah but my insurance will not cover laser eye surgery or lens implants. Never thought of going public tbh...

Yeah but my insurance will not cover laser eye surgery or lens implants. Never thought of going public tbh...

Oh really? As for the lens implants I thought they would. I'm on an average Laya plan and think they do cover I just have to pay the excess (500 euro). I know the surgeon in the private does the surgery in the public too! Worth checking out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SuperMack

I've had lens implants and they worked great but as you can see by my post in 20% of cases the lens clouds over and need to be polished (YAG Laser Capsulotomy Procedure) which in itself is no problem as the clouding never returns but if you were to go with Optical Express they will charge you €795 per eye plus consultancy. I know as my partner had the lens inserted and Optical would rather see her go blind than do it free of charge as any reputable company would. It only takes five minutes as I've had it done but make sure your covered as it may take years to develop. No point in shelling out another €2000 if you can cover it from day one. Optical have great staff but the company are only interested in your money! Best of Luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Oh really? As for the lens implants I thought they would. I'm on an average Laya plan and think they do cover I just have to pay the excess (500 euro). I know the surgeon in the private does the surgery in the public too! Worth checking out!!

I am surprised at that as I am currently paying a lot for v highly regarded healthcare from my employer and they won't cover any of it, I have to pay the full six grand myself. Apparently it is considered a cosmetic procedure.

• Advertisement

I am surprised at that as I am currently paying a lot for v highly regarded healthcare from my employer and they won't cover any of it, I have to pay the full six grand myself. Apparently it is considered a cosmetic procedure.

I'd get on to the doctor. My sight is pretty bad, saying that both lenses are slightly dislocated. I went to the Mater private, met a nice doctor, said he would be confident lens implants would benefit one if not both eyes. I asked him about Laya, he gave me the surgery code and I rang. They said I have to pay the excess which on my plan is 500 for a day case procedure and 200 a night if admitted. They said I would be fully covered in the Mater public. Worth checking again!! Argue that it is not cosmetic. 6000 is crazy and God forbid you got an infection, bleed, high pressure or anything else post surgery it could cost a fortune. I know one person who had it done in Mater public but was referred from the private so thats how I know it can be done.

Advertisement