Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is wrong

Options
  • 18-05-2017 12:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I've received an infraction for this post in politics cafe:

"How it works? Are we in court? I don't have to do anything, I don't see it in the rules. I've told you what to look up, it's all there for you if you want it. It's up to you to educate yourself."

This was in response to a poster hounding me about something that's common knowledge.

The mod who banned me said that I was being uncivil and didn't back up my statements. I have read the charter for the politics cafe and nowhere does it say that you have to back up statements. I asked the mod to show where in the rules it says that you have to but they couldn't.

This was on top of an earlier infraction I received from the same forum. The same poster I was responding to above stated that they would continue to ridicule me. They incorrectly spelt ridicule so I pointed this out. I received an infraction but the other poster didn't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Evening neverever1,

have you actually tried to resolve this with the moderator in question, as per the graphic above??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

mike_ie wrote: »
    Evening neverever1,

have you actually tried to resolve this with the moderator in question, as per the graphic above??

Yes, they sent me here.

This DRP is going to be short and not so sweet, because all I had to do was bring up your posts in the Politics Cafe in the past couple of hours to see exactly why you were carded. Examples include (but are by no means limited to)
    Learn how to spell ridiculed or I will ridocule you
    Maybe you need to keep yourself informed

Posters asking you to back up your assertions were met with a
    It's a go educate yourself on the topic and then come back
    Of course not but I'm not spoon feeding you. If you don't know something then look it up!
    How it works? Are we in court? I don't have to do anything, I don't see it in the rules. I've told you what to look up, it's all there for you if you want it. It's up to you to educate yourself

You were red-carded for being uncivil, a completely understandable measure considering your, frankly, obnoxious responses to other posters in that thread. Not only is the red card upheld, but I'd strongly recommend that you wind your neck in a bit, as the course of action from here on in will be bans of escalating durations.

Regards,

~Mike

But where in the rules does it say you have to back up anything?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just a reminder that unless you're​ the OP, the CMod dealing with the appeal or an admin, you are not permitted to post on this thread without prior permission. Anyone doing so will have their posts deleted.

• Advertisement

neverever1 wrote: »
    But where in the rules does it say you have to back up anything?

One of the fundamental rules of Boards is "Don't be a dick." You were being decidedly so in your responses, and you were infracted accordingly. The red card stands, in my opinion. If you wish to pursue this further, you are welcome to take this up with an admin, as per the process outlined above.

mike_ie wrote: »
    One of the fundamental rules of Boards is "Don't be a dick." You were being decidedly so in your responses, and you were infracted accordingly. The red card stands, in my opinion. If you wish to pursue this further, you are welcome to take this up with an admin, as per the process outlined above.

The only problem with that "Don't be a dick" reasoning is that almost everyone was being a dick on the thread! Shouldn't everyone have got a red card? How does saying you're going to continue ridiculing someone not get a card but saying you'll ridicule someone back with correct spelling get a card?
    If someone continually hounds someone to back up with sources shouldn't they get a card? That's being a dick, but in this case the person who was being hounded got the card! It's clearly wrong, so I'd like an admin to look at this objectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi neveever1,

I am happy to review this for you. Please give me some time to read back through your posts.

dudara wrote: »
    Hi neveever1,

I am happy to review this for you. Please give me some time to read back through your posts.

Hi Dudura. No problem, take your time.

Hi Dudara. Obviously there's no rush on any of this but I thought I should just add today's developments here instead of starting anew thread.

As per my appeal to admins you can see that I didn't agree with the opinion that my posts that received infractions were obnoxious, they were in line with everything else on the thread I was posting on, in my opinion. I took what was said on board however and today I was extra careful not to offend or be obnoxious as was claimed yesterday.
    I was posting on the same thread and I went out of my way to be courteous and mannerly so there was no misunderstanding in what I was saying. I backed up my opinions with quotes and in no way did I even come close to saying anything bad about other posters.
    I then received a message from a mad saying I was on my final warning. Any more trolling and I will be banned. I asked the mod for what reason am I on my final warning? I think it's crazy. Yesterday I was being too obnoxious apparently, today was I being too nice? I honestly don't know what way I'm supposed to post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi neverever1

I've reviewed the posts that led to the red card, and I am satisfied that it was deserved. You were being needlessly aggressive (though I must admit that's a bit strong) to other posters. In short, you were being a d*ck.

Your reaction to the card was to be saccharine sweet, which shows a deliberate intention. So don't play coy with me. The blushing maiden act doesn't work so well on the internet.

Just post decently in future, with no intentions of smartness and without baiting other posters. Do that and we should be fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement